Upgrading from Lightroom 2 to Lightroom 5

Hi all,

Apologies for asking questions similar to previous, but they are not the same!

I am currently using LR2, and finishing off images in Photoshop CR2 (Yes, well out of date!)

I am considering upgrading to LR5; my questions are

1. Will the LR5 "upgrade" upgrade me from LR2 to LR5 or am I so out of date that I would have to buy the full LR5 programme?

2. Will LR5 still transfer my images to PS CR2 with the Control/E keystrokes, or will I need to upgrade CR2 also?

3. Do people think joining the Creative Cloud a sensible/value for money option?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Kumar 

I joined CC and yes, it's very good value for money. I pay £7.14 a month (VAT reg'ed so no vat for me) for CC/LR, there are a few other bonus things but nothing I've looked at. If you compare to buying either an upgrade or a new version, it's very good value for money and spreads the investment over time which is always a bonus.

Not sure that LR5 would transfer to CS2 (it would come under 'other application'- I would doubt it but can't be sure), you can always just export an image to desktop folder and open in CS2 but really..you are missing out on so many features with such an ancient version. Yes, I know people say...it does everything I need it to....well that because you don't realise what else you could do with newer versions. I can't remember so far back but is CS2 only 32 bit? If so, you limit your processing power and newer versions (CS6 onwards) are quicker with their graphics rendering.

LR5 is a big step forward... I updated through all the releases but now subscribe to CC and get the full Photoshop - never had that before..

My comment in another thread was:

have upgraded LR at every release (being an early R1 adopter). When you consider that most LR updates have been about £70.00 every 24 months (thats about 10 months of cloud). So using that 24 months upgrade cycle I'm only paying for 14 months over what i was before (about £100) and I'm getting the full PS..

As for the ctrl-E edit. Your issue will be the lack of compatibility between ACR versions in your PhotoShop and Lightroom.. Im not sure if CS2 can utilise the latest ACR.. if it can then great .. maybe someone else can confirm this either way...

For me the latest CC / Photoshop / LR5 is a huge improvement in my old workflow...

Doc just get LR5. The price is not high. You might find that you don't actually need CR2 or any further incarnations of that program.

The Creative Cloud; I wouldn't bother personally subscribing to anything on a monthly basis but it depends on differing points of view.

What computer system do you use? Is it as old as your current photographic software? The reason I ask is because LR5 on a Mac needs a fairly up to date OS. On a PC I don't know.

You should be able to open images into CS2 from LR5 without going via the desktop, though it might entail setting up CS2 as an external editor (takes seconds, only need to do it once).

You'll find LR5 a big improvement on LR2 - the RAW processing is much better. Expect a small but very worthwhile learning curve to get used to the new sliders.

As for the CC package - if you do the kind of manipulation that Geoff does (wonderful work!), it's probably a no-brainer. However, if as I suspect (and like me) you tend to leave the elements within an image as they were in real life (i.e no compositing, moving things around etc) then it may be less useful. I've been using PS CC, but probably haven't done anything yet that wasn't available in CS2. Most of my processing is in Lightroom.

With LR5, you'll probably find that you need PS less than you do now, just because LR5 does so much more than LR2.

I think you can do a trial of the CC package. If so, then if you don't like it, just cancel and buy LR5. :-)

As Gervais says, the first thing to think about is your computer and if it can handle the new software. If you have a reasonably fast computer with a decent amount of RAM and a good graphics card, then it is definitely worth considering the Photoshop CC - Lightroom package. There have been massive performance changes in Photoshop over the years, particularly in the last few versions, aside from numerous changes and enhancements since CS2 which is now quite ancient.  You don't need to be doing complex compositing to benefit from Photoshop over Lightroom - e.g.  I prefer Photoshop for spotting and cloning as the tools are still much better than Lightroom and it is far faster to check images for spots etc due to the enhanced graphics but again this will depend on your computer. Photoshop is also still far superior in terrms of making local adjustments within images.

As for LR5 against LR2, the raw converter has been updated twice since CS2 and is way way better than the original ACR. For that alone I would upgrade. I only started using LR from version 4 so can't do a really valid comparison with LR2. 

This is indeed a conundrum.

Kumar, Is it not likely that you will be getting a new camera at some time in the future? I just had to update to LR5.3 in order to work with my new Sony RX10. Of course if you are only working with tiffs or jpegs in PS CS2 you can do that . . . but as others have pointed out, you will not be getting the latest, best convertor. 

I find myself right on the line here and not being about to decide which way to jump. And ever though I took a course in weather at university, I really don't know what a Creative Cloud is. I own LR5.3, the latest, and I own PS5. I figure I can stay put for some time yet . . . but . . . at the moment I can get CC Photography for $9.99 a month. Am I missing something important here? 

(And by the way, Kumar, could you mail me a large variety of drugs? I haven't been feeling all that well lately.) 

Ed  :(

Here's something I found on the Adobe contract for the $9.99 deal, at least here in the New York:

"To qualify, you must own a commercial version of Photoshop CS3 or later (Standard or Extended version, as a stand-alone product or as part of a suite). 

Thank you everyone for your help as always. Have a greenie everybody!

Decision is made - I have joined the Creative Cloud for Photoshop CC ONLY, and have bought  stand alone Lightroom 5. The PhotoshopCC in Creative Cloud will cost me £17/mth as I did not have PS CS3 or higher which would have got me it half price for the first year. 

There will now follow a period of uncertainty and learning which I dont do so well these days!

My computer is rather more up to date than my previous editing software so should be able to cope, and no intentions of camera upgrade for a couple of years or so yet....All helpful hints re PS CC and LR5 gratefully welcomed!

Cheers

Kumar

ps. Ed - you're looking very well in your avatar - Drugs I would think, are the last thing you need!   :)

David, too kind....

Kumar, LR5 is pretty much like the previous versions but some nifty new stuff. CC is really going to be a learning curve as CS2 doesn't have so many of the basic things that have come in over newer versions. I would recommend getting the Martin Evening book, I have a copy for reference and still find new stuff each time. Your CC is also the extended version so there's a new tab up there at the top for 3D...enjoy.

Kumar, LR5 is pretty much like the previous versions but some nifty new stuff. CC is really going to be a learning curve as CS2 doesn't have so many of the basic things that have come in over newer versions. I would recommend getting the Martin Evening book, I have a copy for reference and still find new stuff each time. Your CC is also the extended version so there's a new tab up there at the top for 3D...enjoy.

Agree about the book and I would also strongly recommend the Martin Evening Lightroom book. I have the LR4 book which is absolutely excellent so presume that the LR5 version is equally good.

That seems to make sense for you, Kumar. And if you're going with the Cloud, you'll have PS6 and LR5. I found when I went from LR4 to LR5 the Perspective Control alone was well worth the update. It's very quick and easy to use, and being in a big city, as I am, I use it a lot. 

I have until February 28 the take the $9.99 deal for the Cloud. Unless I hear some good reasons not to , I'll be activating the CC in early February. 

Thanks again guys. In fact I bought both Martin Evening books along with LR5 - I had his book on LR2 and found it was very helpful. Good to know you all feel the books are worthwhile!

Kumar

Archived