Recent thread shutdown

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

I will miss these threads tremendously. They made me feel part of the Alamy community. I was always fascinated by the diversity of our lives, so different from each other. I loved the international side of it, the different personalities and cultures. 

I am not a particularly technical person and feel that I have no business commenting on other people's work, so I guess my participation is going to be limited now. 

It was good while it lasted. Thank you Betty and Edo for starting those threads.

I hope you will continue to share your recent uploads. I think it  would still be appropriate to share the circumstances around shooting them. I need my dose of adventures in Oz!

Paulette

• Love 1

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

We could adopt a policy of reacting to anything controversial by calling it out and requiring deletion.

Something like: 'Your comment is political and I strongly request that you reconsider and delete it.' 

Yes!

Paulette

The fact that we have gone roughly 4 years and about 200 pages of chatter, on both threads, with very very few issues, should tell you that we are respectful of others the vast majority of the time.  I really do think think they both should be reinstated.  Getting to know the forum members much more deeply, has made all the other threads far more interesting. 

• Like 4

This will probably be my one and only appearance in this thread but I just wanted to say I’m sad for those who are genuinely affected by the closing down of the threads. I realise that my reaction to what Allan was saying was the trigger for this. In hindsight what I should have done is email him and let him know the anger I felt (and still feel to a lesser extent) about what he was saying, particularly from someone who claimed to be a friend outside of the forum. I could see that others were trying to correct what he was saying but it was falling on deaf ears. I won’t go into the detail as I really don’t want to extend this into a further discussion or argument. That would surely close this thread as well which is absolutely not my intention. 

Just to be clear, this is far from the first time that Allan has come out with stuff that I find very offensive and bigoted. I have made this known to him on several occasions in less fiery language than I used the other day, apologies have been made and accepted and yet it happens again and again. So when I read what he was saying, I saw red. It’s all very well being polite and people were being polite in asking him to stop and retract what he was saying but I tend to speak my mind so red it was. Believe me, if I had emailed him, it would have been far more intense and angry than what I posted. If I ever meet Allan again in person, I expect there will be words about this face to face.

I do actually respect the forum. I think I give a lot more than I receive here in terms of technical advice to anyone who requests it whether I like them or not. From now on I intend to stick to the tech stuff. As I said, I don’t want to extend this any further.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Sometimes I wonder how we ever lived without the internet ... other times I wonder how we manage to live with the internet ...

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments about the non-photography related threads being closed.

It's good to get your feedback, and we do understand about why the 'good thing/bad thing' threads were set up in the first instance which was during the pandemic where there was a need for different kind of support. We're glad this has added to the sense of community within the Alamy forum over the past four years and hope this will continue.

We are a small team who monitor the forum so please don't let us closing these threads be misread as 'not mattering', but with some recent postings having to be taken down, and the work we are looking to do in other areas behind the scenes, which need more of our time, we saw it as a point to re-focus our efforts back in to monitoring the photography related posts (which as mentioned was the original intent of the forum).

We have no issue with friendly exchange within the threads even if it isn't always completely related to the main post, and we've always tried to keep a hands-off approach to allow free expression in your own individual style. However, we do always have to be conscious of the forum guidelines and take action sometimes.

With this being said, and for the reasons given in the other threads, I hope this adds some clarity and understanding about the reasons why it was necessary to call time on these two threads and close them.

In the meantime, feel free to feedback any comments you have in 'The Forum' section with any suggestions for improvements of the forum, and we'll always do our best to support you where we can, either here or through our email support.

Thanks

Sophie

• Like 5

• Alamy locked this topic