6 minutes ago, Erin1 said:

I just created this account so I could link a URL to post an image. This is one of the photos I took on Saturday, and it was taken with the 50-200mm lens.

Thanks Erin.

Have you edited this? You're well off the histogram for both blacks and whites. And you've got very clearly visible dust spots in the sky which are also an automatic fail for Alamy. Also looks low resolution.

Thanks again, but can you put up a full resolution image in colour that you're happy with the editing for.

Edited by Steve F

2 minutes ago, Erin1 said:

Yes, it's been edited, but not sharpened. I'll put in a color photo in a few minutes.

Cool. Which software are you using? You shouldn't generally be sharpening your images much. e.g. I just use the default sharpening on output in Lightroom.

13 minutes ago, Erin1 said:

I'm using Photoshop CS6. I rarely sharpen my images.

Test-shot-St-Lawrence-Church.jpg

Erin, thanks a lot. Can you post a link directly to the image on the hosting site?

Hi Erin, yes, this can't be the original export from PS. Need the exported image to be saved on imgbb at peak export quality (I don't mind about the watermarks, just add a watermark in PS to an exact copy of the original file. And export with your normal settings).

I put it in ACR and simply hit auto.  This is how the bottom left corner came out.

pictrees.jpg

If straight from such a quality camera, it should have brought out the darker areas but they are just black blobs.  And the vines and flowers are also pixel blocks of colour. This has to be a very compressed image.

Perhaps the in camera settings are set to low quality jpeg.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jill Morgan said:

I put it in ACR and simply hit auto.  This is how the bottom left corner came out.

pictrees.jpg

If straight from such a quality camera, it should have brought out the darker areas but they are just black blobs.  And the vines and flowers are also pixel blocks of colour. This has to be a very compressed image.

Perhaps the in camera settings are set to low quality jpeg.

Jill

I think it has been reduced on export, but unfortunately we may be talking to someone who doesn't know the ropes yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I think it has been reduced on export, but unfortunately we may be talking to someone who doesn't know the ropes yet.

I've tried to figure out where the sun is in the sky -- seems like over the photographer's left shoulder and not quite at the golden hour.  The photo seems under exposed a bit, and too wide a dynamic range for something that's not obviously taken at sunset.   Sky should be brighter, I'd think.

Rebecca, I think that you're seeing underexposure and some sort of automatic correction. The EXIF data; f/13, 1/200 shutter speed, and iso 200 seem like a strange combination to me.

Maybe needs some kind of filter to balance the light 

9 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

The EXIF data; f/13, 1/200 shutter speed, and iso 200 seem like a strange combination to me.

I agree 

• Like 1

Erin, thanks for posting. Firstly, I can see as soon as I import this into Lightroom (LR) that the image is underexposed. The histogram is off to the left. The blue patches on the photo are where LR has identified that there is no information available in the shadows and it's just pure black.

Screenshot-2024-03-11-183213.png

I can also see that the image is not that sharp when I zoom in. If you can't spot this, you'll need to compare with an image you've taken with a sharper lens. Here's a crop of your image at 100%.

Screenshot-2024-03-11-183843.png

Here's a crop of one of my recent images at 100%. And this was taken with a 24MP full frame camera (as opposed to your 36MP camera):

Screenshot-2024-03-11-184212.png

Original image on Alamy:

barclays-bank-clock-tower-building-in-wi

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comparison. I've just downloaded a software update for the camera, which can only help. I may also buy a calibration board.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Erin, I don't think you need any of that. It's more about the settings you're choosing. At some point, you'll need to calibrate your monitor, but this is more about the mistakes you're making when you shoot. The only thing you need to buy is a modern prime lens. Otherwise, try less underexposure, Adobe1998 instead of sRGB, wider f/stops and faster shutter speeds. They should all work together to give you a vast boost in file quality. 

And then, after you nail those things, try a tripod and monitor calibration - with that, you'll be a master.

Erin, most lenses have a sweet spot at around F7or F8 where the lens is sharpest. I wouldn't ever normally be using F13 unless I was trying to get a  really long depth of field and I was using a tripod.

1/200s should be fine, especially if you have image stabilisation.

there's compression artifacts in and around the "TEST" watermarks, so this photo doesn't show the original quality. was this image "save for web" or "save as". in photoshop, use the latter "save as" for best quality jpg.  if you use "save for web" you basically compress and severely reduce the quality of the image which is not what you want.  

as for a test image, it's ok to crop a part of the image so it's small enough to post. **please don't reduce the image size**, i.e., "image size" in photoshop, instead, use the crop tool and crop the image to what you want to show. i suggest 1/3 from the left (i guess showing the weather vanes), top to bottom; add your watermarks, and "save as".

for your in camera settings, what file formats did you shoot this image with, raw, L jpg, M jpg? 

JPEG: L(36M:7360x4912), M(22M:5760x3840), S(12M:4224x2816), XS(2M:1920x1280)
RAW: (36M:7360x4912)

Edited by sooth
  • Like 1

Erin1, I wonder why you are wasting precious time with this instead of going out and taking more photos. I've seen photos with awful quality sold here. It's an editorial site, not a fine art one. Just saying...

1 minute ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Erin1, I wonder why you are wasting precious time with this instead of going out and taking more photos. I've seen photos with awful quality sold here. It's an editorial site, not a fine art one. Just saying...

Because QC keeps failing him.

• Like 2