Adobe Camera Raw problem.

My current workflow is to select and process RAW images in Adobe Bridge 2024 and processing and outputting to TIFs  using Adobe Camera Raw. then one to photoshop for final retouching and cleaning. 

This weekend the workflow broke.

When I open an image Camera Raw, I now get a message

"Camera Raw requires GPU acceleration to edit Photos"

never had this problem before.

In Camera Raw preferences it says "Camera Raw graphics acceleration is not supported by your system."

I am using a MacBook Air with M1 chip and 16GB active memory.

All Adobe software and Mac OS have been updated to latest versions.

Lightroom works for processing images but prefer my current workflow. 

Are you saying that you have turned  off Use Graphics Processor in the ACR prefs using the Custom option and is  Use Graphics Processor left on Auto? I'm guessing it's the latter so try the Custom option and turn off Use Graphics Processo for image processing. Please report back if that works. I've a feeling that this is going to arise again as Adobe software continues to require more and more graphics processing power. If you do have to work with that turned off, it might slow things down as well. 

Oh I forgot to say I just tried turning it off on my M1 MBP Max and it works without GPU turned on so hopefully that might work for you. If not there's always Lightroom. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

I started getting same message 4+ months ago;
I clicked "OK" continue or whatever & continued as usual;
occasionally some kind of further error message appeared
& I rebooted laptop, then continued as usual;
at one point I called Adobe tech support toll free in USA
& was told I could continue as is without being able to
use newest functions, e.g., advance AI processing, etc.,
due to my ~2018 laptop without latest graphics...
I still haven't moved on to new laptop, have processed
thousands of new images successfully since issue began...

Adobe keeps trying to have me use PS Beta by downloading it as the latest update but my aging Macbook can't support it, so I went into my Adobe dashboard and reloaded PS 2024 and it works just fine. My Macbook is a late 2013, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16Gb DDR3 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. I do fear the end is nigh!

35 minutes ago, Normspics said:

Adobe keeps trying to have me use PS Beta by downloading it as the latest update but my aging Macbook can't support it, so I went into my Adobe dashboard and reloaded PS 2024 and it works just fine. My Macbook is a late 2013, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16Gb DDR3 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. I do fear the end is nigh!

Yes downgrading to an earlier version is always an option but you can't take advantage of new developments and there are some things that are really worthwhile. Denoise in particular is truly excellent and it does more than simply remove noise but it needs computing power. As discussed in another thread, as a Mac user you have great options going forward with recent developments. But do take this piece of advice when you upgrade - don't skimp on universal memory. 

• Like 2

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 20.26.13

The option for Use graphics processor is greyed out and has no option to change 

Also Camera Raw has no option to roll back to an older version on creative cloud 

Edited by Ian Goodrick

To go to an earlier version of ACR, you need to go to an earlier version of Photoshop. It's surprising that Lightroom works and ACR doesn't - perhaps the versions are not in sync on Adobe's end yet. What is it saying on the Performance tab for Camera Raw in LR prefs?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

To go to an earlier version of ACR, you need to go to an earlier version of Photoshop. It's surprising that Lightroom works and ACR doesn't - perhaps the versions are not in sync on Adobe's end yet. What is it saying on the Performance tab for Camera Raw in LR prefs?

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 15.34.13

This is the Lightroom dialog box. suspects the problem is Adobe as you say. 

Will try and roll back Photoshop.

Looked at the dates in Creative Cloud app and problems seem to start after the update to Camera Raw to 16.1.1 3 days ago. 

Yes I think now it's a problem with how the Adobe software is detecting the graphics capability of a machine. My desktop machine is showing the full acceleration in ACR (latest version) but only limited acceleration in Lightroom. This is strange as the GPU is powerful and should easily cope. My laptop is not showing any problems.  

Edited by MDM

Uninstalled Photoshop 25.4 and rolled back to 25.1 

No joy Camera Raw not seeing GPU acceleration.

Will switch over to Lightroom for now and wait and see what the next round of Adobe 'updates' bring. 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

3 hours ago, MDM said:

To go to an earlier version of ACR, you need to go to an earlier version of Photoshop.

I jump between different versions of ACR within compatibility limits w/o problems. Am on Windows but expect the same on Mac, given the information on Adobe ACR download page (link below).

4 hours ago, Ian Goodrick said:

Also Camera Raw has no option to roll back to an older version on creative cloud 

Why not just download from this page? It offers 14.5 for Mac.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

I suspect that in non-Adobe internet you can find installers for versions between 14.5-16 as well, what's the need to be tied to the CC application?

Finally got the problem solved!

I would defiantly say it is an Adobe bug not Apple.  The cure is to go deep into a hidden Library file system and delete a file. I got the answer on an Adobe support forum. 

The steps I used are the following 

Press 'option' key while clicking on 'Go' in Finder toolbar.

This reveals hidden folders.  

Then navigate to (/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/GPU/Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw/): 

and if either of these files are present delete. 

TempDisableGPU2 or TempDisableGPU3 and delete if either are present.

I only had one of the files and after deleting and restarting Bridge everything is back to normal. 

I would add that you do this at your own risk.

I have been on Macs since the late 90s and this was the first time I have ever needed to venture into the hidden Library files. Hopefully won't have to do it again anytime soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian Goodrick said:

Finally got the problem solved!

I would defiantly say it is an Adobe bug not Apple.  The cure is to go deep into a hidden Library file system and delete a file. I got the answer on an Adobe support forum. 

The steps I used are the following 

Press 'option' key while clicking on 'Go' in Finder toolbar.

This reveals hidden folders.  

Then navigate to (/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/GPU/Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw/): 

I only had one of the files and after deleting and restarting Bridge everything is back to normal. 

I would add that you do this at your own risk.

I have been on Macs since the late 90s and this was the first time I have ever needed to venture into the hidden Library files. Hopefully won't have to do it again anytime soon.

So you are in “Finder” to start this process? I'm pretty computer illiterate. I don’t have to have PS or Bridge open?

6 hours ago, Ian Goodrick said:

Yes I found that temp file in my ..;GPU/Lightroom folder. It worked in Lightroom after a couple of attempts,  restarting the computer and creating a new catalog. My Lightroom is now showing as supporting full GPU acceleration.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

So you are in “Finder” to start this process? I'm pretty computer illiterate. I don’t have to have PS or Bridge open?

If you are not getting any error messages in LR or ACR, then just ignore this conversation. It's an issue with Adobe and GPUs. Remember I recommended you get a powerful GPU with 16GB of memory. That was a good move as 16GB GPU is now the recommendation from Adobe for GPU acceleration. 

13 hours ago, MDM said:

If you are not getting any error messages in LR or ACR, then just ignore this conversation. It's an issue with Adobe and GPUs. Remember I recommended you get a powerful GPU with 16GB of memory. That was a good move as 16GB GPU is now the recommendation from Adobe for GPU acceleration. 

Ah, your voice of reason to keep me out of trouble! 😊 Thanks.
I had a niggling thought that the above solution might fix the inability I still have (we’ve discussed before) of opening Raw images into PS. I’m still using the workaround of highlighting an image in Bridge, then going to the menu & choosing “open in Camera Raw”. If I do this, then after making adjustments, the “open” button at the bottom actually opens the image. If I don’t use this method, the open button doesn’t work & the image goes back to the thumbnail.

I know I’ve had updates since this problem began & Adobe hasn’t fixed it, a well-known problem discussed on forums.

It’s no huge biggie because I do 99% of my work in LR & it opens fine into PS. Sometimes I I have a reason to work on only one or two images quickly, like personal family ones, I prefer to skip LR.

41 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ah, your voice of reason to keep me out of trouble! 😊 Thanks

It’s no huge biggie because I do 99% of my work in LR & it opens fine into PS. Sometimes I I have a reason to work on only one or two images quickly, like personal family ones, I prefer to skip LR.

It might be worth following Ian's instructions above. I doubt you will do any harm by deleting the TempDisableGPU file if you find it where he says to look. The reason I'm backtracking is that I did that in the Lightroom folder at the location he describes (there are several folders in there, one for ACR, one for LR and so on). Anyway it fixed an issue with LR for me but strangely it has also fixed an issue with Bridge. Now I hardly ever use Bridge except for renaming photo and video files when I copy them to my computer and it had been behaving very badly for a while - crashing or not quitting gracefully and other stuff. After I sorted out the LR issue by deleting the temp file, Bridge seems to be completely normal again. Strange but I guess Bridge links most Adobe apps on a machine so something must have blipped.

Anyway if you follow Ian's exact instructions but also check in each of the folders in the Camera Raw/GPU folder and delete any temp files, you just might solve the issue (or not). As I said above, deleting temp files is very unlkely to be harmful but as Ian said it's at one's own risk. These temp files are probably leftovers after a crash that should have been deleted and ultimately end up causing bugs it seems. I

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

My Photoshop 2024 GPU message:

Warning: Driver update recommended
Warning: Driver is out of date (29 months, should be less than 6 months)
Fail: DirectX feature level 11.0 available, feature level 12.0 required
Pass: OpenGL available
Pass: DirectX available
Pass: Above required VRAM (2010 MB of 1500 MB required)
GPU Detected: NVIDIA Quadro M500M (NVIDIA)

Not sure if I ever posted my specific message...
Still, my only solution is getting new laptop with latest drivers, etc., right...?
(although I can also ignore message & continue using MOST functions, as I am)

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
My Photoshop 2024 GPU message:

Warning: Driver update recommended
Warning: Driver is out of date (29 months, should be less than 6 months)
Fail: DirectX feature level 11.0 available, feature level 12.0 required
Pass: OpenGL available
Pass: DirectX available
Pass: Above required VRAM (2010 MB of 1500 MB required)
GPU Detected: NVIDIA Quadro M500M (NVIDIA)

Not sure if I ever posted my specific message...
Still, my only solution is getting new laptop with latest drivers, etc., right...?
(although I can also ignore message & continue using MOST functions, as I am)

Just the newest drivers will probably fix this as it says|: OpenGL available; DirectX available  and the available amount of memory surpasses the requirements.

Either go to properties of your graphics card (display adapter in Windows speak) and select update driver. I just looked up mine and while it is from 2021, my system says there is no new driver and Photoshop has not complained in a long time. Touch wood. (Mine is ancient: Quadro P4000 - formerly necessary for 10 bit.)

The quickest way is probably the NVidia update page .

wim

I've tried to follow Ian's directions but....

I clicked on Finder.  Ian says go to Finder and click on GO in the toolbar while holding down Option key.  If I could find a toolbar, I would do that. Where is the toolbar? I clicked on everything I could find to click on but never saw GO.  If I could find GO, then I could hold down the Option key and click it.

I told you I was computer guts illiterate!

I looked Finder up on the Internet, and it does show a toolbar with GO.  Mine shows choices of Icon or List, groupings, etc.  Not the toolbar it should show.

Edited by Betty LaRue