Is it still worth being a contributor?

ek13_photos

Question

I ask this as I have seen my commissions go from 40% to 20%. How can I sell a photo for £90 only to get 20%? 

This is not giving me an incentive to submit photos on Alamy any more. Is it still worth being a contributor?

9 answers to this question

I guess if you get into the 20% club it can be hard to get out of it and back to 40% (grossing $250 or more a year from memory)

You haven't asked for comments on your portfolio but I would say it's rather narrow from a quick look - running and rugby.

Perhaps you should consider widening your portfolio subject matter, or at the very least get different types of shot at races and games (closeups of kit, technical stuff, infrastructure, signage, journalists)

Some of your shots (e.g fashion) look quite underexposed, that area especially really needs to "pop".

Cheers and good luck!

HUGH

• Like 1

+1 on the comments above 

I was on 20% until May 2023 now at 40% as I was getting regular sales for most of last year 

I agree with StokeCreative about widening your portfolio subject matter as I need to do the same 

Hope things will improve for you  

Edited by Alexander Hogg
added 40%
  • Like 1

Depends upon your position. To an old retired geezer like me it's a hobby that I enjoy, it fills the time and provides a bit of extra cash. I am careful not to spend more than I earn on gear and software, and generally owe the taxman a few quid at the end of each year. Once upon a time,  in the good old days, my Alamy income would finance an annual  trip abroad.

I guess that live news shooters can do OK, while those with a very large or spectacularly good port might make reasonable money, but for most of us I suspect that's not the case.

If you are looking for a guaranteed income stream, rather than a pastime, then most other jobs pay a better hourly rate. 

• Love 1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I've just worked out why I haven't uploaded for ages. The work is already done for my existing port, but do I want to do any more only to have the commission cut again? Do I fishcakes.

Just what I was thinking. If it was "worth it" I'd be uploading a lot more than I do. I only add images now when I can be bothered.

• Thanks 1