Maximum number of keywords

WaSo

Question

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Alamy (just uploaded about 230 images) and have a question about the maximum number of keywords.

Officially, a maximum of 50 keywords per image can be assigned, but when I upload my images that are already tagged in Lightroom, there are often more than 50, but they are still always included.

How can that be?

The system doesn't seem to count the keywords that already exist.

However, I can't see any disadvantages from this.

Thanks for enlightening comments!

Regards,

WaSo

16 answers to this question

My guess would be that if you were to go an try and edit the keywords on one of these images in the Alamy Image Manager then it would suddenly flag the keyword count.

If you upload pre-keyworded images then I guess there will be code that strips the keywords out of the metadata and stores them directly into the backend database... and I would be guessing that this code doesn't count the keywords but simply forms a SQL insert statement(s) (SQL is the programming language most commonly used to talk to databases).

When you keyword via the Alamy Image Manager, some different (front end) code will run which likely does enforced the 50 keyword limit.

• Like 2

I see what you mean, Steve. Wildlife photos can easily go over 50 keywords without spamming but I see a lot of descriptions of the landscape in photos that are just close-ups of animals. Place is always important but if someone is looking for a deserted beach they won't want to be seeing animal close-ups.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

First: thanks to all of you for your answers!
Although I checked it, I unfortunately didn't receive any email notifications about your replies, hence my late response - I'm so sorry!

I guess you're right, Matt Ashmore - and additionally: at a certain amount of keywords the system simply cuts it, even right in the middle of a word.

Thanks for your link, Steve F!

I try to avoid adding meaningless keywords, but there are simply photos I can still easily get over 50.

For me it is much more pleasant to tag the photos in Lightroom because I also send them to other photo agencies and I only want to do this annoying work once.

That's why I have no control over the number and can only roughly estimate - counting would be too time-consuming for me.

Best regards,

WaSo

Nice photos, as said already, but you have irrelevant keywords in lots of your files.

You should almost always only keyword what you can see in the image.

For example, you have a nice, tight portrait of a seal with a defocussed background #2TCMY6W.

However, you have many keywords which can't be seen in the image, e.g. beach, beachy, beachside, coast, deserted, intertidal zone, littoral zone, mudflats, mudflat, sandy, sea, seacoast, seashore, shallow water zone, shore, shoreline, social, tidal flats, tide zone, unpeopled, wash margin.

All of these may be relevant to where you shot the photo, but if someone types in, for example, deserted coast, or 'sea', do you think they want to see a seal profile?

Many of these would be relevant in a wider shot, of course.

Your photos are good, but you're not doing yourself, or all of us, any favours if you spam keywords. I can't imagine any other agencies appreciate the irrelevant keywords either.

(Could it be a problem of either batch keywording a group of images to save time, then not going through them individually? Or using a 'keywording tool'?)

Luckily on Alamy, unlike my 'other place', we can go in and edit our files after submission.

Good luck, you've got few enough images up so far that it wouldn't be too onerous a task  for the long, dark nights.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 16:57, WaSo said:

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Alamy (just uploaded about 230 images) and have a question about the maximum number of keywords.

Officially, a maximum of 50 keywords per image can be assigned, but when I upload my images that are already tagged in Lightroom, there are often more than 50, but they are still always included.

How can that be?

The system doesn't seem to count the keywords that already exist.

However, I can't see any disadvantages from this.

Thanks for enlightening comments!

Regards,

WaSo

Yes this happens if you keyword in Lightroom. You can also get more than 10 supertags. But if you try to edit them, AIM won’t let you have more than 10.

• Love 1

I submit photo info via Excel doc.

Here are limits AFAIK:

(these are some of my column headers)

Caption Max 150 characters Tags count Max 1156 charac Tags [Max 40,each max 10 wds 150 charac]     Super Tags count Max 500 charac Super Tags [Max 10,each max 150 charac] Location [optional,max 100 charac]

On 30/12/2023 at 12:03, WaSo said:

For me it is much more pleasant to tag the photos in Lightroom because I also send them to other photo agencies and I only want to do this annoying work once.

That's why I have no control over the number and can only roughly estimate - counting would be too time-consuming for me.

If you hover the mouse pointer over the keywords box in Lightroom, it will show you in a pop-up how many keywords you have added to the image... so you don't really need to count them manually.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 18:08, Rubens Alarcon said:

If you hover the mouse pointer over the keywords box in Lightroom, it will show you in a pop-up how many keywords you have added to the image... so you don't really need to count them manually.

I was just trying to hover and hover again, but can't see any pop-ups...🤥

P.S.: Sorry for replying late again, but of some reason I still don't receive email notification for new postings.

1 hour ago, WaSo said:

P.S.: Sorry for replying late again, but of some reason I still don't receive email notification for new postings.

I have a Mac and this is how it works for me:

If I have the keyword box already selected, the pop-up will not be displayed. I have to click outside the box and then hover the mouse over the keywords (not clicking on it) to see it.

2 hours ago, WaSo said:

Nobody gets emails. There is something at the top of the Forum that looks like a bell. That is your notifications. A number will appear if someone has quoted you and if you click you will see a list of your notifications. So you have to come here if you want to see our replies.

Paulette

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rubens Alarcon said:

I have a Mac and this is how it works for me:

If I have the keyword box already selected, the pop-up will not be displayed. I have to click outside the box and then hover the mouse over the keywords (not clicking on it) to see it.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

It seems to be the difference between Mac and Windows why I don't see this.

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Nobody gets emails. There is something at the top of the Forum that looks like a bell. That is your notifications. A number will appear if someone has quoted you and if you click you will see a list of your notifications. So you have to come here if you want to see our replies.

Paulette

I was probably so used to it from the various forums that I thought it would work that way here too.

I have another question concerning the keywords:

Can I save keywords if they are already listed under caption?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, WaSo - absolutely 😍 your Wallcreeper photos. That's my current #1 wish bird.

I had a thought: as you are in Germany, maybe it would be worth your while to include the German vernacular names for species? I mean, as well as the English vernacular and scientific Latin names, of course. Then if a German buyer was specifically looking for a particular species specificially photographed in Germany (write Deutschland too!), they wouldn't need to search in English.

2 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Hey, WaSo - absolutely 😍 your Wallcreeper photos. That's my current #1 wish bird.

I had a thought: as you are in Germany, maybe it would be worth your while to include the German vernacular names for species? I mean, as well as the English vernacular and scientific Latin names, of course. Then if a German buyer was specifically looking for a particular species specificially photographed in Germany (write Deutschland too!), they wouldn't need to search in English.

Hey Cryptoprocta,

I like this species very much myself - and last year I was able to photograph it for the first time in my life.

You can find the species in the Alps, but usually it is not found here in central Germany - just a big exception.

The problem with german keywords here in Alamy is, that they're generally limited to 50 and if I add german words I have to do without some English.

But there are 2 german stock agencies that are selling my photos anyway - with german keywords. 😁

Have a nice evening!!!