NEX6 SD card problem

I know one or two of you have a NEX6. I wondered if you had come across the same problem as me. I've always found it a little tricky to insert the SD card. It's difficult to get it in exactly the right position to slide in without wiggling it around a bit. Well recently I found that my SD card would no longer go into the card reader and on investigation I found that the two layers of plastic at the corner of the card had separated slightly. I think this must have been due to a few years of wiggling to get it into the NEX6. So I'm being extra careful now with the new card.

Alan

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hi Alan. I still have my trusty NEX6 as well as the later a6000 and have never had the type of problem that you describe even though I tend to keep memory cards longer than I should. What brand of card were you using?

I can't remember exactly and I appear to have thrown it away now, but it was a 16GB SanDisk and would have been either an Ultra or an Extreme.

7 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I can't remember exactly and I appear to have thrown it away now, but it was a 16GB SanDisk and would have been either an Ultra or an Extreme.

I have always used Kingston cards with the NEX-6 and haven't had any problems with them. They seem to go into the card slot with minimum wiggling, but the process can be a bit fiddly. I recently bought a pair of 32 GB SanDisk cards, which so far I've only put into the a6000, which is almost as fiddly. So far so good... 🤞

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I have always used Kingston cards with the NEX-6 and haven't had any problems with them. They seem to go into the card slot with minimum wiggling, but the process can be a bit fiddly. I recently bought a pair of 32 GB SanDisk cards, which so far I've only put into the a6000, which is almost as fiddly. So far so good... 🤞

I've always used SanDisk in all my cameras and recorders as I've always found them 100% reliable. I replaced the damaged one with a 32GB but it still takes me 10-15 secs to line it up accurately in the NEX6 so that I can slot it in without risking damage.

Alan

Another vote for SanDisk in my Sony cameras. Never had any trouble that I can remember.

Big BUT, once in the camera they tend to stay there as I download images to computer via the multi cord then leave the camera attached to charge the battery.

Allan

Sony Tough SD cards are the hard men of the SD card world. They are quite a bit more expensive than the normal cards of course but they do feel very solid. 

Edited by MDM

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Another vote for SanDisk in my Sony cameras. Never had any trouble that I can remember.

Big BUT, once in the camera they tend to stay there as I download images to computer via the multi cord then leave the camera attached to charge the battery.

Allan

Great minds think alike. I used to take cards out and upload images using a reader. Now I leave them in the camera and use a USB cord. Kingston cards are inexpensive (at least they used to be), but I've never had one fail. I've got some that over are ten years old that work fine.