Need an ID on these twin sculptures in Manchester

Ed Rooney

Mel Chantrey (b. 1945)

https://www.fountains.co.uk/team/mel-chantrey

reference here

http://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=1487

Mel Chantrey, the artist who designed the stainless steel beacony type sculptures at the space, is currently being promoted as part of the Urban Market Company. Its website states that Mel believes that our public spaces "take little account of the physical and emotional effect they have on the visitor". When `visitors' see the final bill the Greengate space may well have a major "emotional effect" on them…

Council website

PART 1 - Salford City Council

DOC

3 Sept 2012The scheme includes the new Greengate footbridge, 21m and 19m high beacons designed by local artist Mel Chantry, and 36 fountains which can be ...
(name incorrectly spelt- it's C H A N T R E Y )
Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I may have to go back to Manchester in the spring.

Funnily enough I've been saying exactly the same thing! Despite having been to Manchester many times I don't think I've ever taken a single photograph there.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Our younger son and his family live on the outskirts of Manchester, so we visit fairly often. I get the feeling that it's a dynamic and progressive city, with lots of new architecture and a lively feel at street level. Unfortunately, from a photographic point of view, I rarely have any time to spend in the city centre so opportunities very limited. However I've sold a few shots taken close to where they live. The worst thing about the place is getting there from the east, it's either the dreaded M62 or an unreliable train service. 

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

The worst thing about the place is getting there from the east, it's either the dreaded M62 or an unreliable train service. 

Horrible journey. Only a couple of weeks ago I got stuck in a jam for 2 hours on the M62, despite delaying my journey until well after evening rush hour. I actually dread the prospect of crossing the Pennines by car these days, which I'm having to do every week or two at the moment for personal reasons.

Alan

On 28/02/2023 at 09:20, Inchiquin said:

Horrible journey. Only a couple of weeks ago I got stuck in a jam for 2 hours on the M62, despite delaying my journey until well after evening rush hour. I actually dread the prospect of crossing the Pennines by car these days, 

Alan

Know the feeling ! However the alternative rail journey is not without its problems.  I've been stuck on a train between Manchester and Leeds for a couple of hours, following an incident near Leeds. The scenic minor road alternative is easier on the brain but very time consuming !

22 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've been stuck on a train between Manchester and Leeds for a couple of hours, following an incident near Leeds.

At least you can pee on a train...

Alan

44 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

At least you can pee on a train...

Alan

I carry a bottle in my car in case I get caught out.

The other Allan

• Thanks 1