Please interpret my first sale!

Ben Jon

Question

Three months ago, I received notification from Alamy of my first sale for $42.  This was a rights managed image. I was expecting a direct deposit in my account shortly.  Nope.  Now I see that I have a "cleared balance" of $14.42.  So obviously, $42 was not what was due me.  But why only $14.42?

• Dislike 1

6 answers to this question

$42 is the gross sale price. Alamy will deduct their cut and any other deductions needed and the result is your cut of the sale (license fee).

Allan

Hi Ben,

On your Dashboard, directly under Overview:

Current Cleared Balance: $10We'll pay you once your balance is over $50

Payment terms are also listed in the contract you signed up to.

Alamy reports the gross amount that they charge the client. For a breakdown, click on 'Download Sales Report' on your dashboard. 

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

Take a look at Account balance on your Dashboard. I suspect you will find that it is a distributor sale and the distributor and Alamy have both taken commissions from the sale. In April you can remove yourself from distributor sales. I have kept myself in all but a few who have paid only tiny amounts. Sometimes the amounts are decent. I would actually consider a $42 sale decent these days. Prices are falling, alas.

Paulette

• Like 1

When I started, after 800 images here and many months and no sales I stopped looking on the sales list. A few months went by. Then I looked and the Express had used 2 photos at a fair price. Then the Times used one. Stock is a slow business but it gets better with more images listed.

• Like 1