Pseudonym Summary

Colin C

Question

Hi Everyone - I have some 14 images of Girona, Spain in my portfolio - today I see in my summary that 5 of these images have come up under search term Girona. There were 3 different searches and the images ae all different images, 2 groups of 2 and 1 of 1 - my question is, why didnt all 14 of my images come up in the 3 searches? many thanks 🙂

10 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Colin C said:

Hi Everyone - I have some 14 images of Girona, Spain in my portfolio - today I see in my summary that 5 of these images have come up under search term Girona. There were 3 different searches and the images ae all different images, 2 groups of 2 and 1 of 1 - my question is, why didnt all 14 of my images come up in the 3 searches? many thanks 🙂

I fear this is a question for which we will never know the answer. My own opinion is that the search engine algorithm has been tinkered with in order to cope with client/contributor searches in a substantial library of 300 million + images resulting from PA/Alamy merging where the old search engine could not cope. Rather than expand the scope of the search engine it looks as if image searches have been limited. In effect it doesn't look like all images get seen despite a lot of hard work from contributors to this end. Whatever has happened looks like it will never be confirmed or denied by the library and unfortunately it looks like we will just have to live with it. I wish I could be more positive to your question. Maybe someone out there has a better handle on this than me! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

I fear this is a question for which we will never know the answer. My own opinion is that the search engine algorithm has been tinkered with in order to cope with client/contributor searches in a substantial library of 300 million + images resulting from PA/Alamy merging where the old search engine could not cope. Rather than expand the scope of the search engine it looks as if image searches have been limited. In effect it doesn't look like all images get seen despite a lot of hard work from contributors to this end. Whatever has happened looks like it will never be confirmed or denied by the library and unfortunately it looks like we will just have to live with it. I wish I could be more positive to your question. Maybe someone out there has a better handle on this than me! 

Ah well 😞 but many thanks for the response - appreciate it...

There are 500 pages for that search. Presumably, only a few are looked at. Under Total Views in Measures you can see how many images the client looked at. So your images that were showing up in the early pages will be the ones that show in Measures.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Colin C said:

It could be that the person searching only viewed the first few pages - it should tell you in Alamy Measures how many they viewed in total. Presumably 5 of yours were viewed on those pages and the others were not.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I'm curious about what's the matter when I see a search of 55, for example, but the subject has thousands of photos, so it is clearly less than a page of 100 - so, how the engine calculates the search views...

Maybe the searcher jumped to the last page of results which wasn't full?

Mark

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

There are 500 pages for that search. Presumably, only a few are looked at. Under Total Views in Measures you can see how many images the client looked at. So your images that were showing up in the early pages will be the ones that show in Measures.

Paulette

Ah well, 5 out 14 isn't too bad then 🙂

Alamy's process makes sense to me, what I can work out of it. Say there's 1000 images on a subject from 100 contributors. You wouldn't want 'favoured' contributors to have all 10 images showing up on a single page. If that were so, you'd only have 10 contributors out of 100 on the first search page, then the next 10 on page 2 etc.

So then there is somehow a split of your images. No idea how the split is done. Presumably good keywording and captions gets your image up the ranks and then perhaps things like no. of previous zooms etc.

31 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Alamy's process makes sense to me, what I can work out of it. Say there's 1000 images on a subject from 100 contributors. You wouldn't want 'favoured' contributors to have all 10 images showing up on a single page. If that were so, you'd only have 10 contributors out of 100 on the first search page, then the next 10 on page 2 etc.

So then there is somehow a split of your images. No idea how the split is done. Presumably good keywording and captions gets your image up the ranks and then perhaps things like no. of previous zooms etc.

There's a "dispersal algorithm" disclosed in one of Alamy's patents. I often see my images separated by 19 in search results.

Mark

• Like 3