Disk Storage Problem

Good morning, Forum folks. I hope you are Covid-free and well, wherever you are.

I have yet another digital puzzle to solve. Hopefully, someone will have a useful suggestion.

I have Adobe CC on my basic M1 MacBook Air. My edit goes from LrC to Ps. In PhotoShop, my edit keeps getting interrupted by a message that tells me I'm out of disk space. I have been able to 'solve' this problem by deleting some images and restarting my Mac. Then in awhile, I get the error message again. 

I'm afraid to upload a large amount of images. Any solution ideas? 

Edo

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, the warnings say 'scratch discs.' But what do I do about it? 

There's a lot of information on Google, Edo. As I know you could try to clean up the disc, related to PS performance. For example, to empty the Recycle bin or, if you have more than one disc on your Mac, you can change the PS scratch disc performance to a less full one...

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, the warnings say I'm out of 'scratch discs space.' The question is what do I do about it? 

I was really meaning how much of your hard drive have you filled up, could it be near capacity? What size hard drive do you have?

PS uses space on the hard drive as additional memory when processing images, so you need to keep some space free. Ideally the internal drive should only hold system and program files, and whatever you're working on at the moment. Data storage should be on external drives, or a secondary internal, preferably with multiple redundancy. If you tell PS to use a smaller scratch disc, it could get very slow.

First thing to do is to get an external solid state drive as you risk crashing your computer and losing data. I recommend a SanDisk SSD. These are tiny. I know you said you have problems with Amazon deliveries but get an external SSD asap however you do it (Argos?). When you have it post again and help will be available.

The WD hard drives would be ok for storage and  backup but not ideal as working drives as they are too slow. A fast SSD like the one I linked to would be much better. Then work in the way that DJ Myford suggests ( the way I work as well - images on fast external SSD - these SSDs are so fast that it is not necesssary to work from the internal drive at all but might be more convenient rather than having the SSD permanently connected.

I would suggest getting as much data as possible off the internal drive and copied onto the external SSD. Purge any cache left by Photoshop as well (Edit menu -Purge). It would be worth running First Aid in Disk Utility in case nearly filling the internal drive has caused any problems.

The reason Photoshop needs to use scratch disk is because it has not got enough RAM to work with (the 8GB is pushing it as previously mentioned). Best to work on one file at a time and have no other apps open if possible).

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

The WD hard drives would be ok for storage and  backup but not ideal as working drives as they are too slow. A fast SSD like the one I linked to would be much better. Then work in the way that DJ Myford suggests ( the way I work as well - images on fast external SSD - these SSDs are so fast that it is not necesssary to work from the internal drive at all but might be more convenient rather than having the SSD permanently connected.

I would suggest getting as much data as possible off the internal drive and copied onto the external SSD. Purge any cache left by Photoshop as well (Edit menu -Purge). It would be worth running First Aid in Disk Utility in case nearly filling the internal drive has caused any problems.

The reason Photoshop needs to use scratch disk is because it has not got enough RAM to work with (the 8GB is pushing it as previously mentioned). Best to work on one file at a time and have no other apps open if possible).

Wow! Sometimes it's not good being an old guy from the  20th century and a dummkopf.

Photoshop is a memory hog.  I don't run Lightroom, so not sure how much RAM it hogs as well.  I run with 32 gigs of RAM.  When I built the computer I only put in 16 gigs as both my sons told me I would never need any more than that.  Shouldn't have listened to them.  I'd be running Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time, (along with other memory hog programs) and at 16 GB of RAM PS would start to crawl.  Went out and got 32 GB and now everything runs smooth as glass.  When I check my resource manager, quite often PS will be hording 12 GB of RAM all by itself.

RAM is king.

Jill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Photoshop is a memory hog.  I don't run Lightroom, so not sure how much RAM it hogs as well.  I run with 32 gigs of RAM.  When I built the computer I only put in 16 gigs as both my sons told me I would never need any more than that.  Shouldn't have listened to them.  I'd be running Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time, (along with other memory hog programs) and at 16 GB of RAM PS would start to crawl.  Went out and got 32 GB and now everything runs smooth as glass.  When I check my resource manager, quite often PS will be hording 12 GB of RAM all by itself.

RAM is king.

Jill

I recall advising you at the time you were building that PC to get more RAM - you should have listened 😀. My philosophy is to always get twice as much memory (CPU and GPU) as I think I will ever need over the expected lifetime of the computer. This is vitally important in the Mac world now as most of the new Macs cannot be upgraded at all.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I recall advising you at the time you were building that PC to get more RAM - you should have listened 😀. My philosophy is to always get twice as much memory (CPU and GPU) as I think I will ever need over the expected lifetime of the computer. This is vitally important in the Mac world now as most of the new Macs cannot be upgraded at all.

Never listen to one's children.  The 32 works great. Next time I build one, I might go for the 64 GB, as every time Adobe adds features, PS gets more and more bloated.  I use almost all the features of PS, so that is fine with me.  RAM is so cheap now, it's not as much of an issue.  I'd never want a computer I couldn't upgrade or add to.  Thinking of putting in a more powerful GPU in the next year.

Jill