Sorry folks just wanting to brag about being able to talk to you all via the connection through my new iMac.

I am now a bit of a techie as I had to find out how to connect to the web myself through the system I am using. So called expert help was worse than useless.

I do have a question for those more experienced in the use of the iMac and that is, "How do you type the (hash) symbol, it not showing on the keyboard.

Genuine help would be appreciated as I use it in a password.

Sorry this is not directly photography related but as soon as I have the answer I can get back to taking and processing images.

Allan

If it's not already showing, open your System Preferences (this is the key area to discover on a Mac, go to Keyboard prefs and then click the Show Keyboard and Character Viewers in menu bar option. You will then have these tools available in your menu bar towards the right. If you go show Keyboard Viewer, you will have a little keyboard image - experiment with the option and shift keys on this and the Character Viewer and much will be revealed. Different fonts have different goodies of course.

For #, hold down the 'option' key and press 3. (The 'option' key is the one helpfully marked 'alt'.)

Many thanks Sprocket. Holing down the option and 3 keys.  #######

Allan

If it's not already showing, open your System Preferences (this is the key area to discover on a Mac, go to Keyboard prefs and then click the Show Keyboard and Character Viewers in menu bar option. You will then have these tools available in your menu bar towards the right. If you go show Keyboard Viewer, you will have a little keyboard image - experiment with the option and shift keys on this and the Character Viewer and much will be revealed. Different fonts have different goodies of course.

Found thank you. It is all very new and exciting.

Allan

Indeed Allan! One thing I love about Mac is most shortcuts are 2 keys instead of like Alt + 1 + 5 + 3 + 4 or some such thing on PCs. Somewhere on the net is a printable shortcut list the most commonly used for Mac's. Personally, I don't change them for the most part.

Edit: Forgot, if you hold the Shift key and hit the number keys that too will give you what is above them on the keyboard. Just like an old electric typewriter. :)

Woaah - hold on though!

Today I was trying to input my normal tweeting #hashtag and found the Alt-3 shortcut strangely gave me a £ symbol instead. It took some time to realise that my Character Viewer (on the top right menu of my desktop) had once again self-selected to the US (Stars and stripes) not the UK (Union jack) version - it does so regularly for no apparent reason. Changing it back to team-UK reinstated the ###s. 

Little thing, but I got quite worked up about it till I realised. 

Richard

Woaah - hold on though!

Today I was trying to input my normal tweeting #hashtag and found the Alt-3 shortcut strangely gave me a £ symbol instead. It took some time to realise that my Character Viewer (on the top right menu of my desktop) had once again self-selected to the US (Stars and stripes) not the UK (Union jack) version - it does so regularly for no apparent reason. Changing it back to team-UK reinstated the ###s. 

Little thing, but I got quite worked up about it till I realised. 

Richard

Probable explanation: there is a default shortcut - command + spacebar - which changes the keyboard input if you have more than one. It's very easy to hit accidentally. You can remove one in the keyboard prefs if you don't use it.

Archived