Signing in to Forums.

Allan Bell

Question

For a long time now when I turn my computer on I have to sign in to the forums. Is this the case for everyone or is there a way to be permanently signed in?

Allan

9 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I bookmark them too and seldom have to sign in to the Dashboard. Always have to for the Forum. I use Safari.

Paulette

Bookmarked as well but always sign in needed for forum. Very occasionally have to sign in to dashboard. On Safari.

Allan

This is relatively recent.   Somehow, someone tried to log into my Alamy account with 1234567 or my cat walked across the keyboard and the page would ask me from time to time if I wanted to accept my new password.   I clicked to show it as visible.  It was something I would have ever used so clicked no.  I would get the popup from time to time so I finally cleaned out the extraneous passwords for the Alamy account and think, but am not sure, that I had to start signing in to the forum.   Doesn't bother me.  I preferred to always sign in to my Alamy dashboard because of possible hacking attempts, but that seems to be on automatic.   Check global settings for saving passwords, also site setting (the forum isn't on Alamy's own machines).

It's safer to have to log into Alamy every time, but not so much with the forums.  

Lock your computer system when you're not in front of it, and don't use the machine's password anywhere else.  Then be very careful about passwords with sites that have CC #s or bank information.

LiveJournal's total password and user email database ended up in the hands of the bad guys.   The Russians were either hacked or sold the database. 

Gmail once emailed me to ask if I was the one changing a password -- nope.  Most of the really reliable places use two-factor authentication. 

Security tends to drive /users nuts, but....

It would be more secure if the Forum had different passwords than Alamy's site.