Opening image in PS

99 % of the time, all of my RAW files go through LR. Once done there, I open them in Photoshop. Occasionally, when working through a folder at different times and I see I only have two or three undeveloped RAW files left, I will not go through LR but open them directly into PS.

A couple of days ago I tried the PS only route. Opened the RAW, worked on it, then hit “Open”. Nothing happened. Did it over a couple of times, nothing. I tried on 3 images and never could get any of them past the ACR stage.

I opened LR, processed the same 3 images>open in Photoshop ‘23 and it worked.

There is probably a setting somewhere that needs changed but I have no idea where. I think this happened after the latest update.

Anyone have an answer? I don’t like losing functionality of PS on its own.

Thanks in advance.

Betty

Pretty strange one. I don't think you can update Photoshop and not ACR  but it is worth checking versions.  What version of ACR are you using - hit the little gear icon on the top right? And what exact version of PS? It's all working fine for me and Nikon NEF files - just did latest PS update. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I opened LR, processed the same 3 images>open in Photoshop ‘23 and it worked.

You said PS 23. You should be on 24. You have probably kept the older version of PS and have your files set to open in 23? Or something like that. If you can't get it working just uninstall all PS versions and reinstall just V24. 

Confusing numbers: In the Applications folder, I have a folder "Adobe Photoshop 2023" and inside is Adobe Photoshop 2023 app but it is actually V24.0.1 according to the About Photoshop menu and Creative Cloud App. I don't think I ever noticed this before but presumabkly it's not new. In any case, make sure you have the latest version of ACR and Photoshop installed. If it it doesn't work then uninstall and reinstall (retaining settings) and see if it works. 

1 minute ago, StokeCreative said:

I'm guessing Betty means the current version of Photoshop which is named 2023 (but its version as you say is V24)

Yes we posted almost simultaneously. 

• Love 1

The version thing was a red herring so it's got nothing to do with that. Photoshop 2023 is Version 24 - confusing but irrelevant. I don't know why you can't open your raw files in Photoshop from ACR - mysterious. Have you got an older version of Photoshop installed? How are you opening them into ACR - from the Finder or Bridge? What type of files - Fuji, Sony, both? Have you got some older Nikon raw files lying about from when you had a Nikon camera? If so does it happen with them also?

Anyway if it is still not working,I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop/ACR.

Edited by MDM

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been very ill, still am, and haven’t turned my Mac on. Checking forum on iPad. I haven’t forgotten to check things out. When I can breathe decently again, I will.

Very sorry to hear of your illness. Get well soon.

Allan

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been very ill, still am, and haven’t turned my Mac on. Checking forum on iPad. I haven’t forgotten to check things out. When I can breathe decently again, I will.

So sorry you are ill. Give yourself lots of treats... and get well again.

Paulette

• Love 1

I’ve seen the doctor, I’m using nebulizer with meds, taking antibiotic, electrolytes, prednisone, but still very asthmatic. The nebulizer meds threw my heart into trigeminy, so I had to decrease meds used for the breathing treatment.

I’ll kick it. Just may take awhile. I’ve been here many times since I was a tiny girl.

Although one when in my 20s put me in the hospital for two weeks and I had a respiratory arrest, code blue, but got through it. Turned out it was caused by a massive strep infection. Once they discovered that, I was used as a penicillin pincushion and slowly got better. Took a month or two to repair damage in my bronchial tubes and lungs, though. 
Paulette, my kids are trying to temp me with goodies. My son-in-law brought me the electrolyte drink (a case!) last evening, my daughter got me chicken livers & wings (a seldom eaten treat) yesterday.

All of this was because at our family gathering, I caught whatever the littles had. They got over it. I haven’t. And yes, Covid test was negative, so was flu.