Confusing keywords

I am doing some keywording for an image of a Merlin Falcon.  Common names for this little falcon are "lady's hawk" and "pigeon hawk".  Its actual latin name means "pertaining to dove or pigeon".  I just don't want a bunch of views from people searching for hawks.  Do you think it likely someone would search for "pigeon hawk"? I thought they might if they didn't know it's actual name.

Is it worth including these common names?

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I am doing some keywording for an image of a Merlin Falcon.  Common names for this little falcon are "lady's hawk" and "pigeon hawk".  Its actual latin name means "pertaining to dove or pigeon".  I just don't want a bunch of views from people searching for hawks.  Do you think it likely someone would search for "pigeon hawk"? I thought they might if they didn't know it's actual name.

Is it worth including these common names?

Jill

to be honest i've never heard other names than Merlin, but if you feel you would lose sales by not including the AKA names, i would enter them as KWs

Smelleken in Dutch

Merlin in German

Faucon émerillon in French

And indeed in the US it's called a Pigeon Hawk.

People looking for pigeons or hawks could be disappointed. It may be more of a problem that so many people and things are called Merlin in English.

For the rest I would use AoA as usual.

Maybe give a good explanation in the description.

wim

• Love 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Smelleken in Dutch

Merlin in German

Faucon émerillon in French

And indeed in the US it's called a Pigeon Hawk.

People looking for pigeons or hawks could be disappointed. It may be more of a problem that so many people and things are called Merlin in English.

For the rest I would use AoA as usual.

Maybe give a good explanation in the description.

wim

the few birds i have checked, Alamy did a good job translating the name into the French version of their website.  

2 hours ago, vpics said:

As long as you don't forget the Latin name.

Yes many searches start with the Latin name or part of it and then the common name or some other keyword. Like prey or nest.

wim