Geared heads

I'm looking for a new tripod head for specific work and have decided on a geared head.

Anyone any issues with the Manfrotto 410?, I've seen and handled a 405 (thanks Tim) but have seen the odd remark about the gears becoming a little loose with time. Is this just an occupational hazard of geared heads and time to buy another?

I don't want anything too heavy (not the 400) and whilst the Linhof 3D micro would be nice, it's gross overkill for a DSLR.

I have been using a 410 since 2006.  I can't say I had any problem with it.  If there is anything, mine is getting a bit stiffer.  

However it might be due to the fact that the tripod was knocked over and the head hit the floor very hard some years ago.  

This is when the head plate release lever got broken.  I am still using the same head.

Sung

Edit:  I am sure that you already know that the head will slow you down a lot.

Thanks guys for the positive responses on the head. If Joe can use one that length of time and not break it, well guess what I've just bought!!

If Joe can use one that length of time and not break it,

Im ok with everthing except flashguns!

I think the current count for whole and bits of flashes that would make up a whole is about 11!

Metz do bounce better than Canon (and I mean off the floor, not the ceiling or walls). ;-)

Well I'm too late to influence your decision but I'm a 2-3 year user of a (previously owned) 405 and love it, no concerns about the gears. Lives on my studio stand, but comes out and about on the tripod when I'm shooting architecture / landscapes and I need precision above that afforded by my ball head.

I have a kirk adaptor to allow me to use it with Arca-Swiss tripod feet, and L-plates and I'll get around to buying the conversion kit at some point, and would have done so before if not for the import into the UK from the US...

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16_17

and a review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/hejnar-photo-arca-quick-release-system-17889

I too am a long time user of the 410 head.

Just a note on the excellent customer service I recently received from Manfrotto. My quick release catch went recently on the head. I called Manfrotto and explained I needed a very quick turnaround. They were great and I had it back return of post :D

410 arrived this morning and looks to be ideal. I do like the 405 but this is so much lighter - it will be mainly used with a 5D2 plus 17mm TSE so doesn't need to be the size/capacity of the 405.

Again, thanks for all replies.

Geoff

Archived