How to search by contributor name?

Hi, I used to be able to search for images by contributor name. (Contributor field not headline/caption). It doesnt seem to be possible any more. Anyone know differently?

thanks

10 minutes ago, ACC said:

Hi, I used to be able to search for images by contributor name. (Contributor field not headline/caption). It doesnt seem to be possible any more. Anyone know differently?

thanks

Its a bit less user friendly, but if you go to image search, put in your keywords, then go to the filters section - at the bottom you can put in contributor pseudonym and you should see all images for that search from that contributors pseudonym. You can then change the keywords and continue to see their images 

If you want to see all the contributors' images  from someone who has written on the forum you can now click on the number of their images under their avatar and you should see all their images

Kumar

• Like 1

You used to do this as part of the Advanced Search from the top menu, after you've performed a search. Now you can still do the same but you have to access the filter side panel, "Search by contributor name".

You're not to know this but you used to have a limited amount of time to type in the name before the search started automatically. They seem to have fixed this.

Incidentally if you are hovering over a thumbnail in the search results then the right hand icon 'Same contributor' also links to all of that contributor's images. For some reason they have omitted this icon when searching in Editorial.

As a matter of fact I think this is a problem rather than a feature. A picture buyer would surely want to see pictures by that contributor for that specific search rather than go wandering off and look at all their images. There is a separate post on this but it hasn't really attracted any attention, but I think it's a serious problem.

I should add that if you click on a thumbnail to see the image details then you will see prominently 'Stock photos by the same contributor' (should imho say 'Similar stock photos by the same contributor') so maybe that is considered to be enough - and I see that 'View all' does now work and does indeed show all the images of that contributor/pseudo.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

As a matter of fact I think this is a problem rather than a feature. A picture buyer would surely want to see pictures by that contributor for that specific search rather than go wandering off and look at all their images. There is a separate post on this but it hasn't really attracted any attention, but I think it's a serious problem.

Yes - I think this is very important - from the buyer POV they may well want to see other similar images from the same contributor.

And from the contributors POV it was a useful quick way of seeing how our images were placed in that particular search. 

Alamy - this needs addressing please!

Kumar

• Like 2

Just done so myself...

Hi Alamy,

Please could you forward this email to whoever is in charge of the website for their consideration.

There's an issue since the new website updates regarding the 'Same contributor' icon you see when hovering over the thumbnail. It's mentioned in these two threads on the contributor forum:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/15768-change-in-same-contributor-when-searching/#comment-320418

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/15853-how-to-search-by-contributor-name/#comment-322064

Basically this 'Same contributor' icon used to show images for that particular search by that contributor, now it links to all their images on Alamy. It's hard to see why a picture buyer would want to see all that contributor's images at this stage in a search whereas they could expect to quickly see more images by that contributor for that search.

Also that icon is not there at all when searching in Editorial. Surely it's reasonable to expect that it would be just as useful there and might show other editorial images by that contributor.

Thanks,

Mark Harrison

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

thanks all,👍

7 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

On a positive note they do seem to be dealing with some of these bugs now. I suppose the whole Ultimate/Vital/Uncut/Foundation stuff is here to stay though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

..... in Editorial............As a matter of fact I think this is a problem rather than a feature......

Maybe I'm being cynical, but after purchasing Alamy I can imagine the PA board brainstorming around a table discussing how they can ensure that images taken by their employed news photographers take priority over Alamy contributors, and this new website and associated fluffy catch-lines is one of the results. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Maybe I'm being cynical, but after purchasing Alamy I can imagine the PA board brainstorming around a table discussing how they can ensure that images taken by their employed news photographers take priority over Alamy contributors, and this new website and associated fluffy catch-lines is one of the results. 

Hard not to think of W1A

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

i think it's more realistic than cynical.  What i sense is that PA/Alamy feels they have a handle on the editorial side, also with their deals with the big agencies, and want us mainly for the pretty advertising stuff.  I does lead to some odd situation in isolation where they would rather i load non international events through the News feed, which means more rush less worked on, over the Reportage feed. But since these are about a third of my sales i don't really have an option for now. 

This is my answer from Alamy....

Thank you for your email. Yes, this use to be a feature on Alamy and currently the link to see more by the same contributor is not working.

Our IT team are working on getting this fixed, however this is no time frame of when this will fixed.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

I had a reply as well, somehow managing to offer slightly more hope than yours, or perhaps I'm just a 'cup half full' kind of a person (actually I'm not):

Thank you for your email.

Our IT team were aware there was an issue with the ‘Same contributor’ icon, and it use to take you to an error page. I have updated them that this now takes you entire collection and not a filter searched.

Hopefully, we will get an update soon.

• Thanks 1