The Christmas Tree Ship

TABan

Over 100 years ago, every year for twenty years, the schooner Rouse Simmons carried a cargo of Christmas trees down Lake Michigan from the northern forests to Chicago. She tied up in the Chicago River and the crew sold the trees from her decks. On November 23, 1912, she sank with all hands in a storm off the Wisconsin coast. Today, the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw carries trees to Chicago for donation to underprivileged families. I attended the very cold memorial ceremony today at the Mackinaw's berth. A little slideshow here: http://web.photodex.com/view/pxc8mkm4

DKN2F4.jpg

Lovely tradition, great little slideshow.

Maybe they could drop off a tree or two in the UK (hangs head in shame)?

Thank you. We'd love to send the Mackinaw, but we need her here. Lake Michigan is a force not to be trifled with. This morning the harbor was flat, but if you look at the horizon past the right-most captain in the photo, you'll notice it isn't a perfectly straight line. Those are southbound swells out past the break wall on the big lake.

Lovely tradition, great little slideshow.

Maybe they could drop off a tree or two in the UK (hangs head in shame)?

We always get a great one in London from Norway as a thankyou for chucking out the Nazis.

http://englishsandvika.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/norwegian-christmas-tree-in-london/

Who needs a real tree when you can use one of these?

The elegant barriers are what makes it work, I think.

Paulette

You can't get within ten feet of anything which might be dangerous here without tripping over one of those. They're more dangerous than the supposed hazard.

I keep noticing those d***ed things around every public Christmas tree in the UK.  Maybe I should get some for the front room?  So attractive. :rolleyes:

Archived