i can't sell the photo since i apply

Polpol

Question

9 answers to this question

I'm a bit confused by your post. By "can't sell" do you mean that you HAVEN'T sold any photos yet, or that you are unable (can't) sell them?

If it's the former (haven't), then your expectations might be too high. I was on Alamy for several years before I sold anything. I am also on some other microstock sites and on those, it took weeks to months before I sold photos on the other sites. In some cases I've had a few photos sell within a few days - weeks of posting them. Others have gone years before being sold even once.  One comment I've heard is that this is a marathon, not a sprint, so be patient.

AS for can't - I haven't looked at your whole portfolio yet... but nothing strikes me as being something that can't be sold (eg, a subject such as someone else's art that you can't sell an image of).

As for something wrong - I'll just make the following suggestions:

1) don't forget to describe the photo well (eg with this photo: https://www.alamy.com/view-of-tree-in-the-fields-with-sky-storm-and-black-cloud-before-rain-image434390778.html

Where is it? what town is it near? Was it taken during the rainy season? some of these are things customers might be looking for (so put things like "thailand" "Spring (or "WInter" or whatever season it was) in the keywords and description. THough I wouldn't make the descriptions overly wordy though.

2) Don't forget to keyword accurately. More isn't necessarily better, but don't skimp on them either. Some images might naturally have more (unique) keywords than others that differentiate them from other, similar images on Alamy

3) Don't forget to shoot, if you're able, things that are unique to your part of the world

One small thing is you ought to look at your keywording. Actually quite a big thing.  For instance your image 2H3B2B3 you have caption/keywords "Adult male kingfisher, focus selective."

For all creature and plant images you need to list their Latin names.

Allan

• Love 1

White rice isn't grey? Think of why someone would want to license your image when you are making them. Like the geese, what's the message or what does that illustrate?

I see a number of very nice food photos, and you'll get a sale for something like that eventually. Good descriptions and keywords, that are accurate and not filled with many words, just to have many words. Not saying you are at fault, just pointing out what anyone needs to do for more sales.

My favorite way of putting that is, if you were describing your image to someone who can't see it, what would you write. The other is, if you were a buyer looking for your image, what words would they use to search for it?

Eye grabbing attraction is another way to get attention. The fishing boats, for example, have many nice colors and they could be brighter or have a little more "pop" and contrast.

Edited by Klinger
  • Like 1

I don’t think that there is any particular reason except the relatively small number of photos with a relatively narrow range of subjects. More photos of everyday life with people doing things rather than objects are, I think, more likely to sell.

• Love 1

On 24/12/2021 at 15:25, Klinger said:

White rice isn't grey? Think of why someone would want to license your image when you are making them. Like the geese, what's the message or what does that illustrate?

I see a number of very nice food photos, and you'll get a sale for something like that eventually. Good descriptions and keywords, that are accurate and not filled with many words, just to have many words. Not saying you are at fault, just pointing out what anyone needs to do for more sales.

My favorite way of putting that is, if you were describing your image to someone who can't see it, what would you write. The other is, if you were a buyer looking for your image, what words would they use to search for it?

Eye grabbing attraction is another way to get attention. The fishing boats, for example, have many nice colors and they could be brighter or have a little more "pop" and contrast.

You are getting a lot of good advice like the above.  I would also suggest that you forget the word "Sold" and use the word "License" Big difference.

Chuck

On 28/12/2021 at 07:35, Chuck Nacke said:

You are getting a lot of good advice like the above.  I would also suggest that you forget the word "Sold" and use the word "License" Big difference.

Chuck

Yes I know the difference and it's technically correct and necessary for the language police. On the other hand, can you sell a license? LOL 😁

Or are they only issued? If someone pays for something to be issued, isn't that a sale? But since I was a kid once, I know that having a drivers license is a privilege, not a right, and I still pay for my license to drive, but they must only be granting me the right, not charging for a license that I buy? (I think I've lost myself in that twisted logic)

Yes Chuck, you're correct.

Here's what Alamy says on my dashboard "Your sales" and then there's a button for my "Sales history", and I can click Sale Report which shows "Net revenue sales report" and so on, so you can understand why I made the mistake.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Klinger said:

Yes I know the difference and it's technically correct and necessary for the language police. On the other hand, can you sell a license? LOL 😁

Or are they only issued? If someone pays for something to be issued, isn't that a sale? But since I was a kid once, I know that having a drivers license is a privilege, not a right, and I still pay for my license to drive, but they must only be granting me the right, not charging for a license that I buy? (I think I've lost myself in that twisted logic)

Yes Chuck, you're correct.

Here's what Alamy says on my dashboard "Your sales" and then there's a button for my "Sales history", and I can click Sale Report which shows "Net revenue sales report" and so on, so you can understand why I made the mistake.

What you have are sales of licences.;)

• Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 04:37, spacecadet said:

What you have are sales of licences.;)

Yes and I was just being intentionally obtuse. I know they are technically licenses, because I still own all the rights. Correct = sales of licenses. 😇