www.worksinprint.com

I've just noticed some of my Alamy images have appeared without watermarks on www.worksinprint.com. Are they Alamy distributors or have they purchasing licences for the images shown? They seem to be hosting collections of images from various libraries including Alamy. They give credit lines to Alamy/Pseudo etc. and appear to be providing images for rent in offices etc.

However, the absence of a watermarks on 800 x 500 pixel versions is concerning. Before I contact Alamy member services, does anyone know any more about this organisation?

I have also found some of my images on the site so I would also like to know more about the deal on this. Over to Alamy.

Regards

Craig

Craig, the way to find out quickly is to e-mail MS.....straight from the horse' s mouth ?

I have also found some of my images on the site so I would also like to know more about the deal on this. Over to Alamy.

Regards

Craig

Craig, the way to find out quickly is to e-mail MS.....straight from the horse' s mouth ?

David C. After a quick look there are at least 20 plus Alamy contributors on this site- it will be less email intensive for the horse

to reply here than to each individual email. As you know Alamy do read the forum and are very good at dropping information into the conversations.

If this only affected me I would email MS.

Regards

Craig

I also notice this website a few days ago while I was searching my published images.  

They have 7 images of mine and the images shows my Alamy pseudo.

I also would like to know if there is any connection between them and Alamy.

I am pretty sure all of my images on this website were zoomed at one point.

Sung

Regards

Craig

David C. After a quick look there are at least 20 plus Alamy contributors on this site- it will be less email intensive for the horse

to reply here than to each individual email. As you know Alamy do read the forum and are very good at dropping information into the conversations.

If this only affected me I would email MS.

Regards

Craig

...and a quick look at the site which offers access to 60million images would reveal (http://www.worksinprint.com/collections) that they have a 'special deal' with Alamy, The British Library, Mirrorpix (who are also in Alamy), National Geographic, the National Portrait Gallery, the National Trust, the Science Photo Library and the National Gallery - they may showcase your image but you probably won't get paid until an end client secures the use from WiP.

No need to even bother MS.......they also have a phone number on the site and you could ask them.....

...and a quick look at the site which offers access to 60million images would reveal (http://www.worksinprint.com/collections) that they have a 'special deal' with Alamy, The British Library, Mirrorpix (who are also in Alamy), National Geographic, the National Portrait Gallery, the National Trust, the Science Photo Library and the National Gallery - they may showcase your image but you probably won't get paid until an end client secures the use from WiP.

No need to even bother MS.......they also have a phone number on the site and you could ask them.....

I did take a look at the site before posting. Where does it say "they have a special deal"?

What concerns me is that are hosting ~1/2 screen sized versions of many Alamy images without watermarking. I've no problem with other sites acting as agents/distributors, but why no watermark? I've already had some of my Alamy images stolen from newspaper websites (but at least I got paid by the newspaper for the original usage). However, on WorksinPrint our images can be "screen grabbed" with no watermark and no payment.

I did take a look at the site before posting. Where does it say "they have a special deal"?

What concerns me is that are hosting ~1/2 screen sized versions of many Alamy images without watermarking. I've no problem with other sites acting as agents/distributors, but why no watermark? I've already had some of my Alamy images stolen from newspaper websites (but at least I got paid by the newspaper for the original usage). However, on WorksinPrint our images can be "screen grabbed" with no watermark and no payment.

This is almost identical to the query I had with MS last week where a 'special deal' allowed a large number of end-client uses for a single license, and the art canvas printers who only buy a license when an end customer buys a print from them - in the meantime displaying a large unwatermarked image (this time with all the EXIF and IPTC information already removed). 

A protracted e-mail conversation resulted in me being put firmly in my place, reminded that times are hard, and that they had fought hard to secure the deal. I have asked that my images be excluded from that particular 'deal - for the sake of those with a nervous disposition I will not reveal the license fee - which in any case would be commercially sensitive.

I do have sympathy with stock libraries who by competitive negotiating are lowering the values of their own deals - but you lot with stuff on Microstock have got a lot to answer for !!!!!!

Tin helmet on - stands back and waits for explosion !

I note that they are offering "Office artwork for RENT", how would that work regarding payment to Alamy/subscribers.

Allan

Bit like a website leased for a yearly fee from a designer I suspect - the license would run for a fixed period and probably be issued by the company, possibly to a number of end clients - but I really do not recommend asking......

Stranger still is that its a zenfolio site. The site admin would have to to upload the images to their galleries instead of hotlinking them via Alamy.  All images seem to be PNG files. Snipping Tool on Windows 7 provides a lovely way of 'nicking' anyone of these images. 

I found the easiest way to track down what images they've included is to type www.worksinprint.com yourpseudo into Google web search (not the images search) and then click on the links it finds. It seems to be a highly edited collection, so it's nice to be included, but I wish the images were watermarked.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Member Services

"Dear Sirs,

I note two of my Alamy images have appeared on a website called www.worksinprint.com. They appear to have downloaded “un-watermarked” images from Alamy.com and then republished at around 800 x 600 pixels. Whilst it’s nice to see that they have selected some of my images and they are trying to sell them, the use of quite large “un-watermarked versions leaves the images open to theft for website use elsewhere.

Can you shed any light on the arrangements between Alamy and www.worksinprint.com? Are they a distributor or have they purchased a licence for their “republication” of these images?"

and they replied as follows

"Worksinprint.com is one of our clients who license images as art to their customers.

They’re displaying images on their site in much the same way we work with our Distributors; if an image is used they then report usage and a licence will show in your account. It’s still a direct sale though so commission’s 50% (not 30% like Distribution).

The pricing is better than most similar schemes that operate on a bulk or subscription deals as it’s on a per image used basis."

I note that the images which www.worksinprint.com are selling from other libraries (National Geographic, National Trust, British Library etc.) are also not watermarked, so I imagine Alamy wouldn't be keen to request their images are watermarked as this would place them at a disadvantage. It'll be interesting to see how sales from www.workinprint.com go and whether the images they're hosting start popping up on other websites who've just taken unlicenced "screen-grabs".

Archived