colour calibration

Tim Ayers

Hi All

I'd appreciate it if you'd have a brief look at my images and tell me if they are too dark (brightness level), you see they are more or less standard "vivid" type setting straight from the camera and they look fine in my camera and on my monitor, however the monitor isn't calibrated and on another computer I use they are very dark. How necessary is it to calibrate monitors or do most of you not worry too much?

Yes, of course you should calibrate your screen for many reasons in order to get the best image in this best of all possible worlds. But let me make some quick observations I have from jumping around in your collection. (It would help if you let us know some particulars, like what camera you're using and what computer you're using and what editing software you're using.) 

Most of your images are shot in contrasty sunlight.  (Where did you find all that sun and blue skies in the UK?) The exposures on your most resent images look 1/2 to 1-full stop darker than those of your earlier images. If you have Lightroom you might want to open up the shadows some, and perhaps you should reduce the saturation in your very dark and ominous blue skies. My goal being: friendly images sell better than scary images. 

Good luck.

Thanks for all your time and guidance, especially you Ed

I use a Nikon D800 and the images are set to a "vivid" variation (i.e. no sharpening, but still saturated and high contrast), I'd agree a lot of my pictures are taken in contrasty bright sunlight (only really submit sunny pictures, even in UK). These are processed in Nikon Capture on a PC (Ilyama uncalibrated monitor) and finely tuned in Photoshop before converting to JPG for Alamy. Yes the bulk of my pictures are devoid of obvious people, I'll try and address this also I'll try to brighten my images up and maybe reduce the contrast a bit

• 3 years later...

I'll bump this old thread as I also have a similar question. 

I'm just not sure if everything is calibrated correctly on my monitor....I've done the calibration step via Window etc, but would like your opinions...

Do these 2 look ok to you? They were taken with high overhead clouds FYI and edited from RAW in Lightroom CC. 

hindu-statue-batu-caves-kuala-lumpur-mal

dharma-realm-guan-yin-sagely-monastery-j

I'll bump this old thread as I also have a similar question. 

I'm just not sure if everything is calibrated correctly on my monitor....I've done the calibration step via Window etc, but would like your opinions...

Do these 2 look ok to you? They were taken with high overhead clouds FYI and edited from RAW in Lightroom CC. 

I like both of them. Right exposures on the subjects, nice detail and saturation, readable shadows but not faded. Overhead clouds/background kind of emphasize the colors.

Archived