Need Another Bird ID

Jill Morgan

Question

This cutie has been driving me crazy.  I can't quite seem to identify with certainty.  All my searches say likely a House Sparrow, but they are very rare here.  Not unheard of, but rare.  It's the yellow around the eyes that has me perplexed.  Any help will be appreciated.  If I can't definitely ID, I'll have to remove the image as I don't want to guess, even if it's a good guess.

Jill

sparrow-perched-on-bar-looking-backward-

10 answers to this question

Sorry can't give you an answer but there appears to be something on the end of it's beak. Like it has swallowed something and what looks like a hook has caught on it's beak.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry can't give you an answer but there appears to be something on the end of it's beak. Like it has swallowed something and what looks like a hook has caught on it's beak.

Allan

Just flagged up "House sparrow" on Google images. Agree with you that it does not look like any of the images on google but have you seen the massive variety of plumage these birds have. Very easy to make a mistake if you do not know your birds.

Who is the bird expert on the forums?

Allan

i've also had some issues recently because you get lots of juvenile birds which are not fully marked yep.  was looking at baby orioles yesterday, and if i wasn't watching mom and dad just with them, no way i would have identified.  

sorry i'm on my phone, so not getting a great look.  have you compared it to female/juvi house finch?

Edited by meanderingemu

42 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i've also had some issues recently because you get lots of juvenile birds which are not fully marked yep.  was looking at baby orioles yesterday, and if i wasn't watching mom and dad just with them, no way i would have identified.  

sorry i'm on my phone, so not getting a great look.  have you compared it to female/juvi house finch?

I was thinking probably a juvenile, but too hard to guess.  And probably a sparrow, but not absolutely sure.

Jill

39 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I think juvenile house finch, but not sure. 

Close, I have finally found it, female purple finch.  Just a little lighter than the others that come around here.

Jill

• Love 1

On 23/06/2021 at 10:01, Jill Morgan said:

This cutie has been driving me crazy.  I can't quite seem to identify with certainty.  All my searches say likely a House Sparrow, but they are very rare here.  Not unheard of, but rare.  It's the yellow around the eyes that has me perplexed.  Any help will be appreciated.  If I can't definitely ID, I'll have to remove the image as I don't want to guess, even if it's a good guess.

Jill

sparrow-perched-on-bar-looking-backward-

Looks like a female house Finch. I don’t know what the female Rosy finches look like, but I have a bunch of female house finches in my port. It’s not a sparrow.

AXA0KW.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

It is a female purple finch. Both you and Rebecca were close.

Good you found it. Yeah, yours has the white streak on the side of its head like the purple finches have.

Edited by Betty LaRue