I signed up for some upcoming DxO webinars on the upgrades to the Nik collection filters and was wondering if anyone had given the upgrades a look or if you're planning to check out the webinars?

Here are links to the  Nik Webinars

I have the old filters upgraded from my ages-ago purchase after Google bought them, which I use via LR (can't get them to work with PS anymore). I had intended to purchase the DxO upgrades but they never seemed like much and they didn't have an upgrade option for those of us whoo actually paid for the filters, though now it's so long ago that it's the lack of something new that keeps me from upgrading. I'm wondering what they've added. 

It looks like they are focusing a lot on Vivenza (which I use on occasion) and Silver Effex, my go-to for black and white, which I find absolutely perfect as is, but I'm intrigued. I've played around with the B&W options in LR and even written articles about it, but the artistry of Silver Effex is leap years ahead of LR. 

I use Color Effex a lot and also enjoy playing with Analog Pro which is like diving into a mountain of candy - you never really know what you'll get but it's usually something fun. I wish they'd make it easier to save presets in Analog Pro, the Color Effex presets are great for processing a batch of images (albeit one at a time, with work on U-Points requiring you to do each separately). 

Anyway, thoughts welcome pre and post webinars. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

DP Review gives a pretty objective assessment. 

Thanks. Helpful. Thoughts so far:

• Concerned that trying out v.4 could mean trouble reinstalling v.2 if I decide not to opt for the new version.
  • I'm not sure if the changes to the U-Point by putting the changes off to the side will mean a cleaner photo with fewer points or a clumsier interface having to move back and forth. Not something you can decide whether you like or not without downloading the trial version. 
  • I like the ability to save U-Point points in a preset when working on a group of similar images, especially assuming you can then just go in and tweak the points for each image rather than having to put in each point for each image in the series. 
  • Just not sure it's enough to pay $99 for. 

I have the v2 filters, and do use Viveza, Colour Effex  and Silver Effex a fair amount, but not sure , as you are Marianne about upgrading and then not being able to restore v2. 

I am happy with what I have got and not sure the upgrade would be worth it for me, but will be interested in what you decide to so!

Best

Kumar

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have the v2 filters, and do use Viveza, Colour Effex  and Silver Effex a fair amount, but not sure , as you are Marianne about upgrading and then not being able to restore v2. 

I am happy with what I have got and not sure the upgrade would be worth it for me, but will be interested in what you decide to so!

Best

Kumar

According to that DP Review I linked above, the three plugins that you mention have been updated and significantly improved by DxO since they bought the apps from Google. I hardly use them so probably won't update but if you use them a lot then it would probably be worth getting them. You could always just install them as standalone apps in the first place to check them out as you don't have to install them as plugins.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MDM said:

According to that DP Review I linked above, the three plugins that you mention have been updated and significantly improved by DxO since they bought the apps from Google. I hardly use them so probably won't update but if you use them a lot then it would probably be worth getting them. You could always just install them as standalone apps in the first place to check them out as you don't have to install them as plugins.

Even if I installed as stand alone apps I'd still lose my presets, since they are saved within the programs which open as stand alone apps when you use them. I had a hard time getting the plugins to work with LR as time went on and have been unable to use them with PS, so I'm still concerned any trial will make getting the old ones back impossible. They are really quite good as they are, not sure the bells and whistles add that much. I might do the trial on a different computer, since you can save it on 2 of them. 

@Kumar I use the filters a lot but am thinking about new lenses as I build up my Sony arsenal, recently bought the A7riv on sale and thinking of a zoom as travel opens up ... it all adds up. They say the new features mean fewer U-points which would speed up processing, and soo would saving U-Points then being able to move them around rather than starting from scratch with a series of images. I'll let you know what I decide. I really love the Nik filters, even with texture, clarity and all its other great bells and whistles, LR/PS can't do what those filters can. 

Edited by Marianne

• 5 months later...

I did upgrade. MDM told me a way to install my old Google copy on my new computer, then it promptly went away after an update. Rather than mess with it every time I get an update, I took advantage of the sale.

I don’t have time to install and take it for a run right because of the holiday/cooking plus company staying with me.

In time, I will. I plan on doing more POD stuff now, giving it precedence over stock. That endeavor is where I use this software mostly.

• Like 2