How does Alamy feel about concert images.

I have a bunch of concert images that I am scanning from slides. They are vintage from the 70s. Most were taken from the front row (not the pit).

Do I need to get permission from the musicians? Or can I mark them editorial? Or should I just forget it and keep them for myself?

7 hours ago, kimba said:

I have a bunch of concert images that I am scanning from slides. They are vintage from the 70s. Most were taken from the front row (not the pit).

Do I need to get permission from the musicians? Or can I mark them editorial? Or should I just forget it and keep them for myself?

the issue is more about the venue rules than the artist.  Where you on private property (likely) and was there restrictions on taking images for commercial purpose, and did you meet said restrictions- if you were allowed, go ahead. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

the issue is more about the venue rules than the artist.  Where you on private property (likely) and was there restrictions on taking images for commercial purpose, and did you meet said restrictions- if you were allowed, go ahead. 

Mostly the Pittsburgh Civic Arena.  I have some of Patti Smith from a very small venue on the West Virginia University campus, all prior to 1978.

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

the rules which apply are those existing when you took the shots. Back in the 70s we didn't have anything like the restrictions we have these days.

interesting.  I would have thought even then venues would control rights even then.  At least i remember as a kid sports venue forbidding pictures in condition of entry.  

4 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting.  I would have thought even then venues would control rights even then.  At least i remember as a kid sports venue forbidding pictures in condition of entry.  

I have just checked some concert tickets and in the Madrid Bod Dylan 26th June 1984 at the back of the ticket states No film, No recording and No flash. It does not mention photography in general or copyrights. The same as other concerts at that time.

Edited by Abiyoyo
  • Love 1

I didn't think to look on the back of the ticket stubs- although in the mid-70s some of the tickets were kinda like raffle tickets. On some of them I even had to write the band's name on them. 

I don't know the answer but I would think that if the images are marked editorial it should be sufficient, especially if the ticket stub says no filming or flash it implies that photography without a flash is OK. Also in my situation the big concert venue in Perth Western Australia has been demolished and the site has been sold, promoters may no longer be in business so whose permission do we need, other than the people in the images? Does a musician have more rights than a member of the public?

Interesting topic. I for one have developed very smooth modus operandi to sneak in my equipment to my favorite venue. I would definitely license those images, but they would not pass QC. Too much noise (pun intended).  Most of my gig images on Alamy were taken at open-air concerts.

People have been smuggling cameras in to venues as long as it has been restricted. To my knowledge even photobooks have been published including such images, so I'd say the risk of getting any kind of consequences is quite minimal. Especially when it's been decades since the actual concert.

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
  • Love 1