Why doesn't Alamy change?

Jose Decio Molaro

Question

Good morning, I would like to know why Alamy does not change the photo evaluation system, when we send the photos, if one of the photos does not pass the control, they all do not ... Is it not possible to make a system that only the photo that was refused does not pass, but that the others are accepted? Thanks

• Love 1

7 answers to this question

The short answer is no. Alamy don't check every image as that would take ages so they just check a small number in each batch (depending on your QC rank, they may not check every batch).

Imagine you were an importer of grapes or tomatoes - would you check every grape or tomato to see if it was rotten.  No definitely not. That would take forever and cost a fortune. No you would just check a sample. If your supplier consistently sent you good grapes or tomatoes then you would trust that supplier and maybe not check every batch. But if your supplier tended to send you batches with rotten grapes or tomatoes as determined from checking a random sample, then you would not trust that supplier so you would check a sample in every batch. 

It is not difficult to pass Alamy QC if you are careful and check your images before uploading. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hi Jose,

Alamy do not have the resources to check all photos submitted. In order to keep the quality of the entire collection up, they ask contributors to stringently check their images against a checklist of failure reasons. They expect a certain level of technical competence. So you should be doing the checking yourself - failing all images in a batch is an incentive for contributors to carry out these checks themselves. We have mentioned before on the Forum that you are likely to fail more often on QC if you are not editing your images - in particular, the raw files.

Sorry, this might not be helpful for you, but you either need to start editing images, or accept that your uploads will be rejected from time to time for failing to meet the  required technical standards.

Steve

p.s. I'll add that there are some contributors that do not edit - I don't know what their QC failure rate is. In any case, you should understand all of the following criteria and being checking each image against these:

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-how-to-pass-qc.pdf

Edited by Steve F
Added PDF link
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

and expensive, means extra costs for Alamy, so they need to get more revenue.  Since i doubt clients would see reason to pay more for this, We the contributor would have to pay for this feature.  Not sure i am willing to give away some of my income to pay for this.  I would rather make the efforts myself in checking my images before uploading, i find that cheaper.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

As MDM said

Also if you approach submitting images as a professional you really should be checking the quality of your own submissions.

The slap dash approach used by other agencies where practically any old piece of rubbish gets accepted just brings down the quality

of the entire library.

the other problem with the other approach is the lack of consequences of uploading rejected images, inviting people to actually resubmit the same images over and over until it goes through.  It the end this is costly for all contributor- higher costs, and lower client satisfaction. 

• Thanks 1