Alamy Down...temporarily

geogphotos

Question

16 answers to this question

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I took a screenshot just before the technical problem page appeared. 

What is that in the URL bar?

I0000tWF8PHotF4E.jpg

Was this yesterday’s outage where the error message reported too many users connected? Was it that busy?  I never noticed that odd url, very strange.

8 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Was this yesterday’s outage where the error message reported too many users connected? Was it that busy?  I never noticed that odd url, very strange.

It was this morning a few minutes before I posted. Several odd looking tracking URLS appeared in the address bar and the pages just froze. 

An Alamy error message did then appear but a few minutes later everything was back to normal. 

Maybe I have something on my computer that is tracking what I do and the Alamy error message is just an automatic time-out sort of thing? 

I grabbed and posted the screenshot because I thought it might be something more widespread and be of use in identifying the problem. 

I would do a virus/malware scan in case you've picked up something unpleasant.

Edit- if you google that URL it appears to be some sort of tracking or offer site. Reputable brands come up on it.

Edited by spacecadet

Facebook, Google, and some other sites will track you unless you avoid their apps and use a web browser that blocks tracking.  You may or may not care.  Facebook does try to track visits to Alamy.  It's to refine what ads they display to you on their sites. 

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

When has G2Afse.com expired?

This domain has expired 11 days ago on Friday, February 26, 2021.

Yep:

2021-02-26T08:03:58Z

However one of the others mentions:

Updated On

2021-02-27

And now it:

Expires On
2023-02-26

Anyways this seems to be the company: affise.com
May I recommend UBlock Origin?
For Chrome; for Firefox; for Edge.

wim

15 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Yep:

2021-02-26T08:03:58Z

However one of the others mentions:

Updated On

2021-02-27

And now it:

Expires On
2023-02-26

Anyways this seems to be the company: affise.com
May I recommend UBlock Origin?
For Chrome; for Firefox; for Edge.

wim

Safari?

21 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Only Safari releases prior to 13. https://ublockorigin.com/

wim

Apple has tracking blocking built in to current Safari releases: 

From their help site:

Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac

In the Safari app on your Mac, choose Safari > Preferences, then click Privacy.

Select “Prevent cross-site tracking.” Unless you visit and interact with the third-party content provider as a first-party website, their cookies and website data are deleted.

<end quote>

Don't know how it compares to UBlock Origin. 

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Apple has tracking blocking built in to current Safari releases: 

From their help site:

Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac

In the Safari app on your Mac, choose Safari > Preferences, then click Privacy.

Select “Prevent cross-site tracking.” Unless you visit and interact with the third-party content provider as a first-party website, their cookies and website data are deleted.

<end quote>

Don't know how it compares to UBlock Origin. 

Does it keep out commercials or ads from Youtube? Just saying.

I think by now all browsers have some sort of tracking blocker, some a bit stricter than others.

Right now I wish my phone had UBlock though. Yes there are adblockers for the browsers on my phone, but they won't work on the various apps. Although most of these operate on the same principle as the browsers. And this is understandable because all this makes money in any case it makes Apple and Samsung money, not so sure about regular Android phones without their own Playstore though. So this is why Apple doesn't want us to block all money making things on their machines, because machines are not what Apple makes its money with. It's the stuff on the machines. A bit like Polaroid used to operate: cheap cameras; expensive film.

OK not at all like Polaroid then, because the machines are still expensive too 😂. (And don't overlook Samsung phones in this respect!)

wim

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Does it keep out commercials or ads from Youtube? Just saying.

I watch YouTube from Firefox and don't see all the ads that others complain about, not sure why.  I do see YouTube's ads for their subscription program, not in the things being played.  Seem to see more ads in the iPad app.  I watch Netflix through Safari or the TV. 

4 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I watch YouTube from Firefox and don't see all the ads that others complain about, not sure why.  I do see YouTube's ads for their subscription program, not in the things being played.  Seem to see more ads in the iPad app.  I watch Netflix through Safari or the TV. 

I have a FF add-on which edits out the YT ads, but I had to install it myself, I don't think it's built-in.

I bought a program called Intego. The first scan found three baddies.

It seems to know what it is doing 😁

But also seems to make too many assumptions that I know what I am doing!  'Do I want to allow xyzzy to have communication with the internet'? How the heck do I know?

Anyway, I am supposedly covered and will see if there is any improvement.

Edited by geogphotos

On 11/03/2021 at 02:19, spacecadet said:

I have a FF add-on which edits out the YT ads, but I had to install it myself, I don't think it's built-in.

Yesterday, comparing YouTube using Firefox and using the iPad app, I think the ad buster I installed in Firefox takes care of things.  YT still starts up the video where I left off on another device, so more ads on iPad, including opening ads before the video played.

Edited by MizBrown