Sony RX10 Reviews

A D700 with the 24-120 f/4 is almost 4 pounds; the RX10 with its 24-200 f/2.8 zoom weighs less than 2 pounds. Decisions must be made. If I were still doing assignments I would need to cut a more professional figure, but these days I want to be the Invisible Man. It's all relative. If this Zeiss zoom wasn't getting such positive reactions I would not consider the RX10.  

I'm considering it as well at some point,but perhaps by the time I react with this one,a dozen new similar cameras could be ready for release.

I like it because of the 2.8 aperture and the quality sounds decent and I really dislike variable aperture lens so this fits the bill. In the long run it all depends on how you want to use it.

But the smaller pocketable like the Sony RX100MII is people do not flinch when they see it and restaurants don't have hissy fits when they see it.

Some of the restaurants out here must be getting up to speed on how photos are being used.

I got bitched at for photographing 'cream of broccoli soup!' The 'chef' did not want people photographing 'HIS" food!

Now what if I had my order to go...how would he have known?

Here is a good youtube review,you'll also be able to see the size comparison.

Yeah, Linda, that review by the young Calgary lad is maybe the most helpful. He pointed out the close-focus feature and the cable release port. 

I know there's a lot of street crime in Chicago right now; the police broke up some of the big drug cartels, but instead of getting rid of the problem the situation changed to many more smaller gangs.

Let me relate a true, first-person "crime" story of modern NYC.  Last September I bought a new home phone answering machine at Best Buy on Lower Broadway. I carried the boxed phone in a plastic bag into Nolita and sat on a bench in front of the McNally Jackson book store on Prince and watched the passing people and their dogs for a while.  Finally I got up and went around the corner to Parm for a sandwich (They always spot me a free beer). I walked two blocks down Mulberry towards home and suddenly realized that I did not have the new phone with me. Damn, I left in on the bench in front of the book store!  It will be long gone, I thought . . . but I'll go back and then go up to Best Buy and get another one. 

An hour plus after I left the bag sitting there by itself . . . it was still there waiting for me.  New York a crime center?  Hey, I don't even carry a gun anymore. 

Yeah, Linda, that review by the young Calgary lad is maybe the most helpful. He pointed out the close-focus feature and the cable release port. 

I know there's a lot of street crime in Chicago right now; the police broke up some of the big drug cartels, but instead of getting rid of the problem the situation changed to many more smaller gangs.

Let me relate a true, first-person "crime" story of modern NYC.  Last September I bought a new home phone answering machine at Best Buy on Lower Broadway. I carried the boxed phone in a plastic bag into Nolita and sat on a bench in front of the McNally Jackson book store on Prince and watched the passing people and their dogs for a while.  Finally I got up and went around the corner to Parm for a sandwich (They always spot me a free beer). I walked two blocks down Mulberry towards home and suddenly realized that I did not have the new phone with me. Damn, I left in on the bench in front of the book store!  It will be long gone, I thought . . . but I'll go back and then go up to Best Buy and get another one. 

An hour plus after I left the bag sitting there by itself . . . it was still there waiting for me.  New York a crime center?  Hey, I don't even carry a gun anymore. 

Good story Ed. Thankfully the good people still outweigh  the thugs.Glad you didn't have to buy a new phone again. A friend of mine lost her wallet with credit cards and $500 in cash at a suburban theater a few days ago and it was returned. For me,I use to think neighbohoods were safer than the tourist areas but a few local news outlets are posting daily crime stats for your zip code. I am borderline Lincoln Park in an upscale condo and prestigious street.It always felt safe;people,doorman,policemen, people walking dogs...Latest crimes are hold ups in broad daylight from men dressed as women. Also,teenagers--girls 15-16 year old gang members with weapons. So,spacing out while running errands or taking photos is no longer doable here. Thanks for the Best Buy reminder. A client gave me a $100 gift card and I need a new telephone with speaker!  Too bad Best Buy doesn't carry all the digital camera toys we'd love to try out. :-)

I noticed that Amazon has about 5 reviews up. I sometimes find the review 'Comments' more valuable.

When I have a hard time figuring if I really *want* a camera,what *sometimes* helps is checking my fave cameras quality vs the camera I am lusting after thru the imaging resource 'Comparometer.'

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

I think I may get the Sony RX10 camera. I like my Fuji X Pro 1 but have realized,I like the IQ of my Canon 6D with the 40mm 2.8 pancake lens.

The Fuji X Pro 1 with 18-55mm is the same weight as the Canon 6D with 40mm pancake and possibly 50mm as well.

In all,the speed and IQ of the Canon 6D is better than the Fuji from what I personally have seen so far.

I've concluded that possibly due to my arm/shoulder injury last spring,holding a camera out in front of me is making for less than sharp photos or crooked composition.I prefer a decent viewfinder that is for sure.

At the end of the day I just didn't feel like investing in two different systems.The Fuji is not a 'backup' to the Canon when I am out working though it is an excellent camera on its own.

That's just my experience.

If no surprises, planning to get RX10 this month;

in US, would Amazon have most liberal return policy?

(what is it with cameras-electronics?)

does anyone know if Walmarts have floor models for

pre-purchase handling...?  Or any national chains

with camera departments?  Thanks!

Amazon is great. Just don't be like me and return *a lot of stuff.* I recently got a warning on excessive returns so I'm being careful because I don't want my account closed.

Their policy is still one of the best.

Adorama and B&H are good but you might have to pay return shipping.

Best Buy is good(2 weeks I think?) as is Calumet(formerly Wolf)

Just be sure to keep it in pristine condition with all of the packaging.

I have not seen this at Walmart yet in my city.It could be in different areas.

You could also check out Costco.

L

Wow! Thanks Linda and Jeff for bring up where to make this buy.  As it turns out, Best Buy has the RX10 . . . and they have a store ten minutes away on foot.  I don't buy expensive items if they need to be shipped. I prefer to take possession of my purchase in a store. Adorama works best because they are easier to get to. But Adorama does not have this item in stock at present; this is why they are offering kit extras:

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=Sony+Rx10

Reading buyers reviews has quieted my concerns about the slow zooming and slow AF.  Very fast AF or zooming implies that we are reacting to something that is happening. In fact a savvy street shooter needs to anticipate a photo and be ready when it happens.  No camera, no shooter, can get ready as the picture unfolds.  We must be intuitive to get the decisive moment.  

If I have a serious problem with this camera it will be going back . . . but I don't anticipate that happening.  I think we're about to enter a new world, folks. 

>>> Okay, reality has taken hold. My local Best Buy does not have the RX10 in stock, but I can have it delivered to the store. Blah blah blah. Looks like I'll be making the trip up to B&H tomorrow . . . and they will likely tell me they're out of stock. 

Maybe some deals could be had on Cyber Monday?

I think this is one of those cameras where we will just have to experience on our own to see if it responds to the way we shoot and what we shoot.

FWIW: I have been having a lot of problems accessing amazon.com today. Most times I am getting 'server not found.' Either busy or tech difficulties?

L

Not the same camera Gervaise - RX10 has 35mm at f/2.8, but as part of the zoom range. I'm not going for the 35mm f/2.8, no stabilisation; I'll wait for the 24-70mm f/4 OSS and the 70-200mm f/4 OSS, as I want the stablisation. But both those lenses (£2000?) will still only equal the range of the RX10 with its fixed zoom.

Wow! Thanks Linda and Jeff for bring up where to make this buy.  As it turns out, Best Buy has the RX10 . . . and they have a store ten minutes away on foot.  I don't buy expensive items if they need to be shipped. I prefer to take possession of my purchase in a store. Adorama works best because they are easier to get to. But Adorama does not have this item in stock at present; this is why they are offering kit extras:

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=Sony+Rx10

Reading buyers reviews has quieted my concerns about the slow zooming and slow AF.  Very fast AF or zooming implies that we are reacting to something that is happening. In fact a savvy street shooter needs to anticipate a photo and be ready when it happens.  No camera, no shooter, can get ready as the picture unfolds.  We must be intuitive to get the decisive moment.  

If I have a serious problem with this camera it will be going back . . . but I don't anticipate that happening.  I think we're about to enter a new world, folks. 

>>> Okay, reality has taken hold. My local Best Buy does not have the RX10 in stock, but I can have it delivered to the store. Blah blah blah. Looks like I'll be making the trip up to B&H tomorrow . . . and they will likely tell me they're out of stock. 

Don't waste time phone to check stock before you go Ed. That's what I do and it has saved many a trip/ time and money.

Allan

I took possession of a Sony RX10 today. Went up to Adorama in person and got the package with $100 worth of extras for $22 over the camera price, that is an extra battery, a 32 GB memory card, a table pod, a cleaning kit and a filter kit and a couple of other things. Not bad. I am at the moment charging a battery. Yes, the battery sit in the camera when you charge it, but there is a choice of plugging it into a computer or plugging a gizmo into the electrical outlet. 

I've yet to turn the camera on, but I'll give you all my first thoughts soon. It does feel a bit heavier than I'd hoped . . . that's the rather large lens. I figure I can get back what I paid for this thing by selling that Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 monster that I've never used. 

Wise me luck, folks.  :wacko:

To those wanting to sell your gear,POST IT NOW on craigs,ebay,wherever you chose to sell.It will have a better chance selling prior to XMAS than in Jan/Feb when people are tapped and get their credit card bills.

Also,some thing that normally would have quickly sold for a good price are taking a lot longer to sell and not always getting what the seller hoped. That's been my experience as of late and many photogs I know that are switching or changing systems.

I am really taking a bath on the Fuji gear... :-(

Linda

To those wanting to sell your gear,POST IT NOW on craigs,ebay,wherever you chose to sell.It will have a better chance selling prior to XMAS than in Jan/Feb when people are tapped and get their credit card bills.

Also,some thing that normally would have quickly sold for a good price are taking a lot longer to sell and not always getting what the seller hoped. That's been my experience as of late and many photogs I know that are switching or changing systems.

I am really taking a bath on the Fuji gear... :-(

Linda

Sage advice. I won't be buying the RX10 since I've just ordered a Sony NEX-6 body that I could ill afford. The RX10 sounds like quite a wonder machine, though. Perfect gift for the man or woman who has everything. I've currently got a Sony DSLR for sale on craigslist in hopes that a holiday season shopper comes along. No interest shown yet. Think it's gonna be a tough sell.

I took possession of a Sony RX10 today. Went up to Adorama in person and got the package with $100 worth of extras for $22 over the camera price, that is an extra battery, a 32 GB memory card, a table pod, a cleaning kit and a filter kit and a couple of other things. Not bad. I am at the moment charging a battery. Yes, the battery sit in the camera when you charge it, but there is a choice of plugging it into a computer or plugging a gizmo into the electrical outlet. 

I've yet to turn the camera on, but I'll give you all my first thoughts soon. It does feel a bit heavier than I'd hoped . . . that's the rather large lens. I figure I can get back what I paid for this thing by selling that Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 monster that I've never used. 

Wise me luck, folks.  :wacko:

Keep us posted, Ed. Inquiring minds want to know. Have fun, and try not to think about your VISA bill. ;)

Still charging the battery and have not yet cut the table pod out of its plastic wrapping. But here it is:  http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=tarsus+table+top+tripod

I own the famed Leica table pod of old, so this is not important to me. But, you know, I bet it's useful. We'll see. 

I like the ergonomics, the heft of the RX10.  It feels . . . right, if not so light. And it is under 2 lbs.  You, me and Linda, Jeff, we could use some relief from our various strains from lugging too much gear. Ah! The battery is finally charged. Later!

Ed,Can't wait until your report!

I hope to get one soon.I made a promise to myself I will not buy any new gear until I sell off the other stuff.

I've dropped my price three times on the Fuji gear. :-(

L

Better you should listen to David. I'll just tell how I couldn't get the strap on properly. I have a hard time figuring out these modern gizmos. The RX10 has some much missed retro details---clicking f/stops, a cable release screw-in port. It should take me much after Christmas to sort this thing out. 

I'm not ready to sell stuff yet, not setup with boxes or snaps of gear and maybe my PenPal is dysfunctional.  Step by step. 

a.> I took possession of a Sony RX10 today...Adorama...package with $100 worth of extras for $22...table pod

b.> It does feel a bit heavier than I'd hoped

a. congrats!  how flimsy is table pod?  will it hold RX10 in vertical position?  it sells alone for $10?

b. relative to what?!!  RX10 + Sony HVL-F20M flash only emo7.gifemo7.gifemo7.gif 1/3rd emo7.gifemo7.gifemo7.gif weight of

Canon 7D + 17-55mm f2.8 + 430EXII flash

Cool. Let's see the pics when you have them.

I won't be posting each little bit of info as I discover it, but let me point out that fully charging a battery takes five and a quarter hours! That was with me plugging the camera into a wall socket. I'm a little weary of plugging it into my computer for that long.  So the battery takes that long to charge, and while doing so the camera is out of action.  I think I may need to buy a third battery. I see this as a flaw in the system; my NEX batteries don't take anything thing like that much time to charge. The manual says a full charge will produce about 420 images using the LCD screen and 170 using the viewfinder. Jpeg? RAW?  It doesn't say.  Does it matter? This situation, once I'm aware of it, is okay for me. But for Jeff or Linda . . . I don't know. 

I won't be posting each little bit of info as I discover it, but let me point out that fully charging a battery takes five and a quarter hours! That was with me plugging the camera into a wall socket. I'm a little weary of plugging it into my computer for that long.  So the battery takes that long to charge, and while doing so the camera is out of action.  I think I may need to buy a third battery. I see this as a flaw in the system; my NEX batteries don't take anything thing like that much time to charge. The manual says a full charge will produce about 420 images using the LCD screen and 170 using the viewfinder. Jpeg? RAW?  It doesn't say.  Does it matter? This situation, once I'm aware of it, is okay for me. But for Jeff or Linda . . . I don't know. 

Does the RX10 have a power zoom? If so, it probably needs a more powerful battery than the NEX cameras. Hence the long charging time. That's the price of progress, I guess. Speaking of which, I keep hoping that some smart person at Sony would reinvent the mechanical cable release. I really miss them. Never could understand the attraction/necessity of power zooms either.

Archived