USA and Germany - DACS equivalent

geogphotos

Question

On the recent DACS thread mention was made by a couple of contributors about payments made through Alamy for secondary rights from organisations similar to DACS in USA and German.

I have asked Contributor Services about my eligibility/enrolment in this but am waiting for an answer - I've had lots of sales in both countries but never any secondary rights payment. Maybe it is because I do DACS direct?

Just wondering what the experience of other contributors is over this?

Edited by geogphotos

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

On the recent DACS thread mention was made by a couple of contributors about payments made through Alamy for secondary rights from organisations similar to DACS in USA and German.

I have asked Contributor Services about my eligibility/enrolment in this but am waiting for an answer - I've had lots of sales in both countries but never any secondary rights payment. Maybe it is because I do DACS direct?

Just wondering what the experience of other contributors is over this?

I claim direct and the VG-Bildkunst claim was well discussed here, and I got a piece of it. I assume you did too.

According to a search of the forum I posted here about tracking down a few specifically German uses -one form for websites and one for PLR- and getting a relatively impressive payment for them. Around 2/5/19.

11 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I claim direct and the VG-Bildkunst claim was well discussed here, and I got a piece of it. I assume you did too.

According to a search of the forum I posted here about tracking down a few specifically German uses -one form for websites and one for PLR- and getting a relatively impressive payment for them. Around 2/5/19.

Thanks. Am I correct that you know German? I am not thinking about claiming direct but through Alamy ie) Alamy doing it!

I don't remember the VG-Bildkunst claim. There is nothing about it listed as Other Income in my all Alamy sales spreadsheet. Was it something that contributors had to actively claim?

Edited by geogphotos

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks. Am I correct that you know German? I am not thinking about claiming direct but through Alamy ie) Alamy doing it!

I don't remember the VG-Bildkunst claim. There is nothing about it listed as Other Income in my all Alamy sales spreadsheet. Was it something that contributors had to actively claim?

There was some discussion about it. It was a separate payment, but I only know this from checking what I posted about it- I seem to have mislaid most of my royalty statements.

Alamy can hardly have been ignorant about it- you could ask if it was included in the claim they did for you.

18 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

Dan Thomson at DACS sent a quick update on German publications:

"The royalties you received in 2019 were a backdated, one-off amount relating to a change in the law in Germany. Each year, DACS receives small amount of money from across Europe for the use of UK publications in different countries. This gets added to the pot of money we have for Payback each year.

We do run a small German PLR campaign (for books only) with VG Bildkunst each year, in June. So far however, the royalties we have received from this have not been substantial enough to allow us to pay them. We will run this campaign again this year, so pleased let me know if you want me to add you to the mailing list for this?

Best Regards"

So if you email DACS they will likely add you to the mailing list too  payback@dacs.org.uk

Thanks David. Perhaps I misunderstood what other contributors were saying about getting a payment into their Alamy account from Germany and USA. 

The DACS statement is about UK published books used, but not published in, Germany.

I'm thinking about schemes run by others countries for publications in their respective country. 

Edited by geogphotos

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

There was some discussion about it. It was a separate payment, but I only know this from checking what I posted about it- I seem to have mislaid most of my royalty statements.

Alamy can hardly have been ignorant about it- you could ask if it was included in the claim they did for you.

I download my Alamy sales account from when I started to the end of 2020 so that I have all the totals at hand and can check for any unreported uses. From that I can cut and paste all 2020 sales, and then all UK sales in 2020 which can be pruned down by excluding all the non-DACS sales.  It is not perfect because some uses in 2020 are still being reported/are unreported but nonetheless useful to be able to open up and check every time I come across a use that I don't remember seeing in my sales ( I have a fairly good visual memory for what sales I've had).

When listing one of the columns alphabetically it is easy to isolate Other Income. 

Edited by geogphotos

25 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I download my Alamy sales account from when I started to the end of 2020 so that I have all the totals at hand and can check for any unreported uses. From that I can cut and paste all 2020 sales, and then all UK sales in 2020 which can be pruned down by excluding all the non-DACS sales.  It is not perfect because some uses in 2020 are still being reported/are unreported but nonetheless useful to be able to open up and check every time I come across a use that I don't remember seeing in my sales ( I have a fairly good visual memory for what sales I've had).

When listing one of the columns alphabetically it is easy to isolate Other Income. 

I meant my DACS statements as I claim direct.

Answer from Alamy, How I wish DACS had the same policy as in Germany of restricting claims to creators not agencies. 

Hi Ian

We can confirm you are down for TV only for your DACS claim.

The German campaign runs for contributors only not picture libraries so you have to claim for this yourself

USA DACS is called ASCRL and that claim is based on who’s opted in for DACS.

You were not included in ASCRL as you are opted into TV only for DACS.