Can I change Image Type

whitphotography

Question

7 answers to this question

On 21/01/2021 at 14:10, whitphotography said:

I would like to change 'Image Type' for a set of photos from Reportage to something else. In the image manager window this option is not allowed. Is anyone aware if there is a way to change this? 

any specific reason you want to change it? Not sure i understand why it would be an issue.  

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

any specific reason you want to change it? Not sure i understand why it would be an issue. 

Because most of us have no access to Live News anymore, you have to use Reportage/archival to get your images online.

And then you're stuck with This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.

Makes no difference? I beg to differ. I'm seeing [FS] which I take for a search for quality, quite often in my pseudonym summary.

Looking at this set:

Metal Monolith, Utah. This object was discovered deep in the Utah desert on November 18 by a helicopter crew surveying Bighorn Sheep. Archived Google earth images suggest it has been there for around 5-6 years. It is a man made art structure placed illegally on public land. - Stock Image

I would say it's easy to see why revoking Live News access was not a good idea.

(IF you know what we're looking at of course.)

Google Utah Monolith and get 5.940.000 results. To have images that good of that thing on November 24 is pretty nice to have I would say.

While all the while renowned News Agencies like dpa put on stuff like this in Live News:

2E4EC2K.jpg

An empty Tesla shop. Yesterday.

Nothing in the caption or keywords to explain why.

One of the keywords: databaserest.

No I have no idea either, but there are 5,839 images on Alamy with just that keyword.

https://tweakers.net/g/s/bonk.gif

+ of course all those cats; dogs; horses; hens; sculptures; meadows; people strolling; clouds and snowdrops which are completely legit in there because of the appetite of UK papers for those kind of images.

wim

9 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

An empty Tesla shop. Yesterday.

wim

:lol:There was (is, but a shadow of its 80s self) a comic called Viz which used to have non-sequitur captions such as that.

"A train, yesterday".

I don't know how it was possible for the Dutch to invent the British sense of humour, but I think they may have.

Edited by spacecadet

26 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Because most of us have no access to Live News anymore, you have to use Reportage/archival to get your images online.

And then you're stuck with This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.

Makes no difference? I beg to differ. I'm seeing [FS] which I take for a search for quality, quite often in my pseudonym summary.

wim

But you can still upload them as stock and you don't get that label, same as with Live News.  Using reportage is to avoid QC, so it would require the label.  

52 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

This reminds me of trying to buy a copy of the Guardian in rural Ireland. 

I said that the copy on sale was yesterday's and I wanted today's.

Come back tomorrow and we'll have it replied the shopkeeper. 

Try to buy a copy of the Guardian in rural England and you might be out of luck. They probably only have the Telegraph, Mail, Sun, Express .......

In any case, the internet arrived in rural Ireland quite some time ago. I would think that most Guardian readers in rural Ireland would be reading online.

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

But you can still upload them as stock and you don't get that label, same as with Live News.  Using reportage is to avoid QC, so it would require the label.  

Yes that's why, but because of being outside of Live News your images get no chance of being pushed out actively to the newsdesks.

I would (and have done the same in a case like this) submit all of the images again as regular stock. Include the old image ref # in the caption and the keywords.

I put something in the caption like: This images replaces #.

In the caption of the old reportage/archival images, insert the new Alamy ref # and add something like: Deleted. This image has been replaced by #.

wim

• Like 1