Problems with uploading photos for sale

Arthur Batenburg

Question

20 answers to this question

It would seem that your initial upload has passed QC. Now you need to go into your Dashboard click on Alamy Image Manager. When in there you will see your images, complete the keywording under Mandatory, tthen click on Option and complete what you deem to be necessary. Click on "SAVE" bottom right.

Now you need to wait till the system renews itself, usually overnight. 

You will see your images for sale next day.

Allan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arthur Batenburg said:

For the first time i'm trying to post my approved photos for sale but get this message:

What does this mean:?
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at ASP.myupload_metadatadownloadhandler_aspx.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

This is an internal software error that if properly handled you should not see but a rather more informative message giving you more info about what has gone wrong.

Looks like (without seeing the code and therefore a guess) that it maybe something in reading the metadata from your files (ok not much of a guess as it went  wrong in the metadatahandler!!!).

This data probably contains values that the software developer was never expecting to see hence the unhandled exception and the bizarre error message.

It is hard to know what happened without more info, maybe:

Have you removed the metadata  from your files?

Are you using a new camera or software that may have added some strange characters?

Have you added some strange metadata?

In any case I would send this to Alamy with a description of what you were trying to do as they have been doing quite a lot of maintenance and may have introduced a bug that will need fixing.

Edited by Martin L

Basically, once you caption and tag your photos in the  Alamy Image Manager, and get a On Sale flag, you don't do anything further.  The system will update in around 24 hours.  Trying to caption and keyword/tag photos on your own computer and uploading them should be done before uploading them for approval.  I've done this once in Lightroom for sufficient keywords and caption to have the picture marked at On Sale immediately after the batch was approved.

If you're trying to do something else other than go to the Alamy Image Manager and adding a caption and tags there, I'm not sure what you're trying to do.  And if it wasn't something that Almay's system expected, you might get an error message. 

At this point, you have no images showing.  First submission is three images and once they're approved, you can submit more images, either doing all the tagging and the caption before submitting them, or afterwards.   You don't have to do anything more than caption the photos and add enough tags (5) to get them on sale (orange bar and On sale notation under the orange bar).

Captions can contain commas, but tags are split if you use commas.  I would not use special characters in tags (parenthesis, number signs, or slashes), and apostrophes of possession get dropped.

When your first photos are accepted, go to Image Manager and caption and tag them individually.  Click on a photo to select it,  then caption it, give it at least five tags, click Save, click on the photo again to unselect it (or use the "Clear Selection" button) and move on to the next photo.  Or leave a photo selected and go on to the Optional tab, fill out those fields, and then save and unselect.  If you're just working with the first three photos, you might want to do both Mandatory and Optional sections before saving and unselecting the photo you've just worked on.

All you do to make the images read for sale is caption and tag them in Alamy Image Manager until you get the orange bar and the "On sale" flag.  Alamy will put them on sale when they update the servers (generally once every 24 hours). 

Edited by MizBrown

On 9-12-2020 at 18:53, MizBrown said:

Kortom, als je eenmaal je foto's hebt onderschreven en getagd in de Alamy Image Manager en een Te koop-vlag hebt gekregen, hoef je niets meer te doen. Het systeem wordt binnen ongeveer 24 uur geüpdatet. Probeer foto's op uw eigen computer te onderschrijven en te voorzien van trefwoorden / tags en ze moeten worden geüpload voordat u ze ter goedkeuring uploadt. Ik heb dit een keer in Lightroom gedaan voor voldoende trefwoorden en bijschriften om de foto direct na goedkeuring van de batch bij In Verkoop te markeren.

Als je iets anders probeert dan naar Alamy Image Manager te gaan en daar een bijschrift en tags toe te voegen, weet ik niet zeker wat je probeert te doen. En als het niet iets was dat het systeem van Almay verwachtte, zou u een foutmelding kunnen krijgen. 

Op dit moment worden er geen afbeeldingen weergegeven. De eerste inzending is drie afbeeldingen en zodra ze zijn goedgekeurd, kunt u meer afbeeldingen indienen, ofwel door alle tags en het bijschrift te doen voordat u ze indient, of daarna. U hoeft niets meer te doen dan de foto's onderschrijven en voldoende tags (5) toevoegen om ze in de uitverkoop te krijgen (oranje balk en verkoopnotatie onder de oranje balk).

Bijschriften kunnen komma's bevatten, maar tags worden gesplitst als u komma's gebruikt. Ik zou geen speciale tekens gebruiken in tags (haakjes, cijferborden of schuine strepen), en apostrofs van bezit worden verwijderd.

Wanneer uw eerste foto's zijn geaccepteerd, gaat u naar Image Manager en ondertekent u ze en tagt u ze afzonderlijk. Klik op een foto om deze te selecteren, voeg een onderschrift toe, geef deze ten minste vijf tags, klik op Opslaan, klik nogmaals op de foto om de selectie ongedaan te maken (of gebruik de knop "Selectie wissen") en ga naar de volgende foto. Of laat een foto geselecteerd en ga naar het tabblad Optioneel, vul die velden in, sla op en deselecteer. Als u alleen met de eerste drie foto's werkt, wilt u misschien zowel de verplichte als de optionele secties doen voordat u de foto waaraan u zojuist hebt gewerkt opslaat en deselecteert.

Het enige wat u hoeft te doen om de afbeeldingen voor verkoop te laten lezen, is een onderschrift en tag ze in Alamy Image Manager totdat u de oranje balk en de vlag "Te koop" krijgt. Alamy zal ze te koop aanbieden wanneer ze de servers updaten (meestal eens per 24 uur). 

Tried a lot but keep getting the same message.
I think I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm placing the tags incorrectly or pressing the wrong buttons.
It would be nice if I had a manual somewhere that tells you what to do in steps

3 hours ago, Arthur Batenburg said:

I think I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm placing the tags incorrectly or pressing the wrong buttons.

At this point, you need to email Contributors and see if they can help you.   If English isn't your first language, try to find a better translation than Google.  It works well enough for Spanish but does get predictable things wrong.  For an more inflected language, I suspect it could get more things wrong.   You do not post the photos to Alamy after you caption and tag them.  Alamy takes care of that once every 24 hours (more or less). 

Sorry for the dutch, guys, but I'm taking a shortcut here.

Hier is de manual (pdf) voor de Alamy Image Manager.

Er is allerlei onderhoud aan de gang sinds vorig weekend, dus er zijn wat onverwachte fouten mogelijk. Het is moeilijk te beoordelen op het ogenblik of iemand zelf iets fout doet of eenvoudigweg een fout tegenkomt, die 10 minuten later weer voorbij is.

groet, wim

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Sorry for the dutch, guys, but I'm taking a shortcut here.

Hier is de manual (pdf) voor de Alamy Image Manager.

Er is allerlei onderhoud aan de gang sinds vorig weekend, dus er zijn wat onverwachte fouten mogelijk. Het is moeilijk te beoordelen op het ogenblik of iemand zelf iets fout doet of eenvoudigweg een fout tegenkomt, die 10 minuten later weer voorbij is.

groet, wim

Dank je Wim. Kreeg al reactie van Alamy. Waarschijnlijk een foutje in het systeem. Het is doorgegeven naar hun IT afdeling. Het probleem is inderdaad vanaf maandag. Ik wacht af.

Ik heb nog steeds geen antwoord van Alamy en blijf aan het zoeken. Temeer omdat anderen blijkbaar geen klachten hebben denk ik dat ik iets fot doe.

Wellicht plaats ik de tags niet op de juiste wijze.  Moet ik de woorden voorzien van #  of alleen de woorden.? Ik heb beiden geprobeerd maar zonder resultaat.

Ik vul ook alle verplichte gegevens in.

Ik heb nog steeds geen antwoord van Alamy en blijf aan het zoeken. Temeer omdat anderen blijkbaar geen klachten hebben denk ik dat ik iets fot doe.

Wellicht plaats ik de tags niet op de juiste wijze.  Moet ik de woorden voorzien van #  of alleen de woorden.? Ik heb beiden geprobeerd maar zonder resultaat.

Ik vul ook alle verplichte gegevens in.

Als het goed is staat alles wel in die pdf.

Alleen woorden in een tag. Minimaal 5 tags.

Niet vergeten er een caption aan te geven. Hokje is wat vaag, maar behoorlijk belangrijk wat er in staat als je begrijpt wat ik bedoel.

Mijn voornaam (hieronder) en achternaam (links hiernaast) met een @ ertussen en .com erachter is mijn mailadres overigens, mocht je er behoefte aan hebben.

wim

10 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Als het goed is staat alles wel in die pdf.

Alleen woorden in een tag. Minimaal 5 tags.

Niet vergeten er een caption aan te geven. Hokje is wat vaag, maar behoorlijk belangrijk wat er in staat als je begrijpt wat ik bedoel.

Mijn voornaam (hieronder) en achternaam (links hiernaast) met een @ ertussen en .com erachter is mijn mailadres overigens, mocht je er behoefte aan hebben.

wim

Dank voor je reactie Wim. Heb inmiddels zo'n 20 beelden die goedgekeurd zijn en ga het weer proberen. Als ik het goed begrijp ook het # teken gebruiken voor tags. Dus minimaal 5.

Dus b.v. #lion #wildlife #bigfive# sleepinglion etc.?

43 minutes ago, Arthur Batenburg said:

Dank voor je reactie Wim. Heb inmiddels zo'n 20 beelden die goedgekeurd zijn en ga het weer proberen. Als ik het goed begrijp ook het # teken gebruiken voor tags. Dus minimaal 5.

Dus b.v. #lion #wildlife #bigfive# sleepinglion etc.?

In de pdf staat dat er een nieuwe versie wordt uitgerold. Wellicht heb ik die al. (3 weken). Daar staan verschillende manieren in om te taggen. Heb diverse tekens gebruikt maar krijg nu iedere keer de melding dat ik minstens 1 tag moet invullen. (Heb er 5 ingevuld.)

28 minutes ago, Arthur Batenburg said:

In de pdf staat dat er een nieuwe versie wordt uitgerold. Wellicht heb ik die al. (3 weken). Daar staan verschillende manieren in om te taggen. Heb diverse tekens gebruikt maar krijg nu iedere keer de melding dat ik minstens 1 tag moet invullen. (Heb er 5 ingevuld.)

You have the new version- it has been around for a few years- the pdf must be out of date.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

You have the new version- it has been around for a few years- the pdf must be out of date.

It is out of date, Not a whole lot has changed though.

Has anyone ever used # or other things within the tags?

In Photoshop, yes, but not in AIM. In Photoshop a simple , will do btw, but the old semi-colon ; will still work as well. The same in the input box for tags when a whole list in one go is put in.

wim

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Alamy has answered here: https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13784-is-aim-brokenagain/?do=findComment&comment=269067

(About the delays and disappearing submissions - not about using #)

wim

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Alamy has answered here: https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13784-is-aim-brokenagain/?do=findComment&comment=269067

(About the delays and disappearing submissions - not about using #)

wim

The instruction manual is not clear here.
My exact question: how do I place tags? With or without characters like ' or , or "' ?

Just now, Arthur Batenburg said:

The instruction manual is not clear here.
My exact question: how do I place tags? With or without characters like ' or , or "' ?

If you put in 1 tag at a time, nothing but words.

Some other characters will split up key phrases into keywords and others just will not show.

If you want to put in a whole list of keywords (this speeds up the process) have a comma in between keywords and key phrases. I do it like this:

European Medicines Agency Amsterdam,
EMA HQ Amsterdam,
EMA,

Amsterdam,
European Union,

Medicines Agency,

If written in one sentence that would be:

European Medicines Agency Amsterdam, EMA HQ Amsterdam, EMA, Amsterdam, European Union, Medicines Agency,

And then I throw the whole thing into that input box. Putting them in one by one does give you a little bit more control though.

There is a maximum to the amount of words allowed in one tag and a maximum amount of characters. There's a warning if you go over it.

There is a Lightroom plug-in for sale somewhere that makes things easier. I don't use it, because I don't use Lightroom. A quick search on this forum will bring it up.

A lot of photographers and agencies will never have to use the AIM because they will have their keywords in the metadata (IPTC fields) of their images on upload.

wim

34 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

If you put in 1 tag at a time, nothing but words.

Some other characters will split up key phrases into keywords and others just will not show.

If you want to put in a whole list of keywords (this speeds up the process) have a comma in between keywords and key phrases. I do it like this:

European Medicines Agency Amsterdam,
EMA HQ Amsterdam,
EMA,

Amsterdam,
European Union,

Medicines Agency,

If written in one sentence that would be:

European Medicines Agency Amsterdam, EMA HQ Amsterdam, EMA, Amsterdam, European Union, Medicines Agency,

And then I throw the whole thing into that input box. Putting them in one by one does give you a little bit more control though.

There is a maximum to the amount of words allowed in one tag and a maximum amount of characters. There's a warning if you go over it.

There is a Lightroom plug-in for sale somewhere that makes things easier. I don't use it, because I don't use Lightroom. A quick search on this forum will bring it up.

A lot of photographers and agencies will never have to use the AIM because they will have their keywords in the metadata (IPTC fields) of their images on upload.

wim

I have tried everything but without results. 

32 minutes ago, Arthur Batenburg said:

I have tried everything but without results. 

What exactly is the problem you're seeing?

You do know that after putting everything in, you will have to wait till the database refreshes until the image is online. Database refresh happens once every 24 hours normally.

wim