With the announcement of the Nikon Df, I have been trying to discover the pros/cons of a variety of cameras – such as the D800 and the D4.  I have come across a variety of reviews comparing the D800 and the D4.  Some preferring the D800, others the D4.

Which would you choose?  Would you choose the Df?

Nikon DF should be very hot with any photographer over 80 years old.

Look at the age of the paid to comment photographers, who are featured in the technical marketing videos.

I think Nikon is going the way of Hasselblad and Leica with their collector cameras.

Fashion statement for old guys, but not for real photographers. I have an old battered 6X7 film camera on display in my office. Serves the same purpose, very cool.

Here is some commentary on the DF from a respected source

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013/20131105_2-NikonDf-thoughts.html

Bill Brooks

Look at the age of the paid to comment photographers, who are featured in the technical marketing videos.

I think Nikon is going the way of Hasselblad and Leica with their collector cameras.

Fashion statement for old guys, but not for real photographers. I have an old battered 6X7 film camera on display in my office. Serves the same purpose, very cool.

Bill Brooks

I too have an old battered 6x7 film camera in my office, but it's in regular use, I'm happy to say. I don't know that anyone has ever thought it cool, though

Bill Brooks

That's a strange "respected" source. Who on earth needs that stuff he states is missing? As far as I can see, HE is describing an "old photographer's" camera. One that offsets the ageing process: 

EVF (eyes gone bad)

programable long exposures (can't see the illuminated watch any more)

LCD (forgotten how to expose correctly...look...try again....damn...left the cap on) 

Built-in flash (don't know what this is good for anyway, so I won't comment)

Image stabilization? ("bit shaky these days, are we?")

Compact, lightweight, fits in pocket (loss of muscle mass)

As far as I can see the new Nikon "retro" is NOT for the oldies. Sonys, Canons et al seem to be the "old photographer" cameras with all those features included. "Make sharp photos well into your 90's with the new Canon 1D Mk90+" should be the marketing slogan. At least the Leicas can only be used by "real" (young?) photographers who can still make photographs without the senior-assistance features he describes (unless they are used as fashion statements with bestoke bleu leatherette, neatly cradled in camel-brown leather cases, and without the batteries installed, of course).

:ph34r:

(response not expected!)

Not that I shall buy one but it does give me the excuse to trot out the advice which I was given in the 1960's.......again !

As Simon Clyne, the famous picture editor of the Daily Mirror, when that paper carried the best images in the world, told me more than forty years ago "Remember this laddie it is the photographer who makes the picture - not the camera - that should just do as it's told".

The Df does look as if it could be told what to do in a simple way - sometimes when shooting under pressure I yearn for the simple quick intuitive dials - the rest of the toys seem to be there for those that like to play with them and I suspect that the quality will be quite good enough....feel that my now old D300 will have to see me out - unless Nikon want an extra tester with a free sample !

Guest dlmphotog

Neither,

I would like a D800/D600 in a D4 body as I like the feel and robust construction of a “pro” body like my D3 or the D4 but I don’t shoot sports or video so a lot of the D4 features are not needed. The D3x is perfect at 24mb but is overpriced IMHO when compared to the D800/D600 cameras, so I have been waiting on a D4x but Nikon released the Df instead.

My D3 is getting a bit long in the tooth so I will need to replace it in the next year or so. I’m hoping Nikon will release D4x or I will have to get a D3x.

I now use my Nikon system mostly for my commercial work and have switch over to mirror-less cameras for my stock work. My Fuji X100 and X-E1 are great cameras and have re-instilled a joy of photography back into my JOB.

David L. Moore

I have a D300 and it's a great camera. Build quality is really good. We have a Fuji X100 and that's also brilliant at what it does. Also recently acquired a Sony RX100 II which is fun although I have not had that much time using it so far. All these things cannot really be compared and have their uses. I have some images of a Vulcan bomber here on Alamy and took those with the D300.

This is the camera that I actually wanted Nikon to produce in 2006 when I went Digital, I miss the click stop locking dials and feel of older Nikons. Shame it doesn't have a split screen microprism for accurate manual focus. I Love the look of it and it is cheaper than a D4 with the same sensor but it does seem a tad overpriced. At the moment you have to buy it as a bundle with a standard 50mm lens, I already have 2 standard lenses, I don't want another !

Archived