Higher prices for stock or news feed?

I have submitted several times to the news feed, with no sign of any sales and no way to see the amount of views. So, I am thinking that regular stock images bring a higher price than news/archival images, so I have begun to submit my editorial images as stock only. Does anyone know how the prices for stock and news compare? Do you think it makes more sense to submit these images as regular stock? Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

Submitting via the news feed has the advantage of quickly making available images with fresh news value, without having to wait several days waiting for QC to approve them. After 48 hours pictures submitted to the news feed go into the regular library anyway so they are still available for general editorial use.  I would say that if you have images which are current and qualify for the news feed, then send them through that route as you have nothing to lose. 

I've never had a sale of an image while on the actually showing on the news feed, but at least one has sold some weeks later.  The only thing you might want to do in some cases is update the captioning and/or keywords to suit a more general editorial application rather than the immediate event the image was taken for.

After submitting images to the Newsfeed quickly, with minimal Photoshopping to get them on sale, I often have another go at them a few days later giving a lot more care to the quality, uploading them as normal and deleting the 'news' version when they go on sale.

I don't think I have had a live news sale either, yet, with one possible exception, though several of my news pictures have later sold to illustrate stories, especially about Len McCluskey. I always try to get shots when covering news that will also make good stock later, such as portraits of politicians and celebrities.

I'd certainly agree with going back to re-edit the caption and keywords when the news value has passed, but don't delete the info as the details might be of interest at a later date - maybe relegate it to the description field.

Is the pricing for news/archival photos different from the pricing for regular stock images, which have a higher technical requirement? Anyone know definite answers to that question?

Yes.

A few of my Live News sales have been reported in my account. Pleasantly surprised with prices.

Joe

In my experience, the rates for News pictures are higher than for stock pictures. 

If I have a set of news pictures, I will always upload as news rather than as stock.

Thank you, Mr. Spiers. Could you elaborate on your experience? Does each image sell for more, or are you selling more quantity because it's in the news feed? My concern is that, by putting them in the newsfeed, I'll only see $20 here and there, whereas if I put them up as stock, which might appeal to magazines, that I would actually earn more. For those who don't know, once an image is submitted via newsfeed, it is categorized as "news/archival." If it is submitted as stock, it is categorized as stock.

Thank you, Mr. Spiers. Could you elaborate on your experience? Does each image sell for more, or are you selling more quantity because it's in the news feed? My concern is that, by putting them in the newsfeed, I'll only see $20 here and there, whereas if I put them up as stock, which might appeal to magazines, that I would actually earn more. For those who don't know, once an image is submitted via newsfeed, it is categorized as "news/archival." If it is submitted as stock, it is categorized as stock.

Live News images are only news/archive images for the time they are in the News feed. You then have the option to either delete the images or keyword and caption them as per

general stock.

Joe

My concern is that, by putting them in the newsfeed, I'll only see $20 here and there, whereas if I put them up as stock, which might appeal to magazines, that I would actually earn more.

it's the other way around

more for current news

less for general magazine stock

km

Not sure I agree with the assessments above and I don't like the way the term "general" stock is being used in that it doesn't really tell the complete story.

The order of earnings/price is:

Commercial Stock (creative stock images for commercial use)

Live News (timely news images)

Editorial Stock (secondary editorial market)

Commercial stock (images used to sell something) will demand a higher price

Not sure I agree with the assessments above and I don't like the way the term "general" stock is being used in that it doesn't really tell the complete story.

The order of earnings/price is:

Commercial Stock (creative stock images for commercial use)

Live News (timely news images)

Editorial Stock (secondary editorial market)

Commercial stock (images used to sell something) will demand a higher price

That makes sense. Thanks!

Archived