Hello from Lockdown!

Esme

Hey everyone!

I just found out there are forums here when I returned to Alamy to actually post my approved images for sale. Waiting for my first 3 photos to go up on site now!

I originally signed up in early September, then Melbourne got locked down and well, I haven't gotten out to photograph more yet. I think Ill have to keep going through some old nature photos of mine and add more from those for now. Hopefully, we'll be allowed to travel a bit further soon, there are so many beautiful places to shoot in Victoria.

I'm sure animals and nature are probably categories full to the brim on Alamy, and I don't expect to make a living on here, hopefully just some passive hobby income, but do tell me about your success stories please!

Hello and Welcome Esme to the forum !

Sure there are loads of nature and animal photos in Alamy but there is still a chance to sell if you get the right shot with good keywording.

If you would like to know what sells in Alamy then check out these two threads for October ( one gets created for every month).

Best,

Gnans

34 minutes ago, Gnans said:

Hello and Welcome Esme to the forum !

Sure there are loads of nature and animal photos in Alamy but there is still a chance to sell if you get the right shot with good keywording.

If you would like to know what sells in Alamy then check out these two threads for October ( one gets created for every month).

Hi Esme, welcome.

Gnans,

The 'Images Sold' threads are a good starting point, but are almost totally dominated by landscapes/townscapes and occasional animal shots. I'm sure lots of other genres sell and I'm sure most people don't show their repeat sellers or most successful shots (myself included!)

Steve

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Esme said:

Hey everyone!

I just found out there are forums here when I returned to Alamy to actually post my approved images for sale. Waiting for my first 3 photos to go up on site now!

I originally signed up in early September, then Melbourne got locked down and well, I haven't gotten out to photograph more yet. I think Ill have to keep going through some old nature photos of mine and add more from those for now. Hopefully, we'll be allowed to travel a bit further soon, there are so many beautiful places to shoot in Victoria.

I'm sure animals and nature are probably categories full to the brim on Alamy, and I don't expect to make a living on here, hopefully just some passive hobby income, but do tell me about your success stories please!

I don't do animals to any extent, but looking though the papers these photos do sell. However, unless you get a current live news sale, (bear eating man would be good 😉) the fees are pretty poor.

Presumably they are also used in textbooks etc which pay appreciably more. However, there is a stack of competition out there. 

While there are some niche areas that are very rewarding, for most of us I think that a large variety of subject matter and locations is the way forward.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and tips everyone! I think my biggest thing is avoiding the complexities of model releases or copyright content in the shot and the like.

I hope once we can move around here again, I could also add city shots and other architecture too. It sounds like, even though we choose two things were likely to upload on our profile, we can upload anything really.

It was a serious shame I took all my Europe shots on my phone at the time!! I didn't want to lug the Nikon across multiple countries back then. Haha They're good shots, but completely unacceptable here. Might look at putting those ones up elsewhere.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone 

Just got back from an assignment in Sicily covering harvesting olives, so I drank quite a bit of wine when it rained and the picking stopped.

Photography is so so tough 

I have a bit of a problem now I am back and in the UK and in isolation.

My uploads to Almy ( 20 Images and 50 Meg each image ) keep failing 'lack of memory' has anyone else experienced  this and got a way to get around it. 

Cheers

John P

22 hours ago, albury visual services said:

Hello everyone 

Just got back from an assignment in Sicily covering harvesting olives, so I drank quite a bit of wine when it rained and the picking stopped.

Photography is so so tough 

I have a bit of a problem now I am back and in the UK and in isolation.

My uploads to Almy ( 20 Images and 50 Meg each image ) keep failing 'lack of memory' has anyone else experienced  this and got a way to get around it. 

Cheers

John P

You probably need to start a separate thread for this question, on  the quality control section of the forum. I think you will get more of a response. 
Personally I have never heard of that reason for fail. 
Jenny

23 hours ago, albury visual services said:

Cheers

John P

I'm assuming you don't mean QC failures but some sort of upload problem.

Have you tried FTP? I use Filezilla. In any case you don't need such big compressed files, you can downsize or drop your jpg quality a bit (I use 90 in Lightroom).

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, albury visual services said:

Thanks for that guys. I think it might be that as my internet speed  is not good out here the Surrey countryside the connection drops out. Either that or I need to upgrade my computer or increase the RAM

Either way my thanks for your help and interest . 

It looks like you have some identical photos up. Perhaps because you uploaded them twice thinking you had not succeeded? In any case, having too many similars can hurt your ranking over time.

Paulette