Famous graffiti artist loses copyright

AlbertSnapper

According to this article, Banksy, who once stated 'copyright is for losers', loses his copyright case !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8741717/Banksy-stripped-copyright-famous-Flower-Thrower-artwork-anonymity.html

So can we now freely licence any graffiti artist's 'work' here on Alamy ?

Could be worrying for us in terms of the suggestion that copyright can't automatically be created on private property ( or of private property?)

Not clear if this is about registering a trademark or copyright.

Edited by geogphotos

13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Could be worrying for us in terms of the suggestion that copyright can't automatically be created on private property ( or of private property?)

Not clear if this is about registering a trademark or copyright.

I think this more about the fact that he refuses to reveal his true identity and therefore copyright can't be properly attributed.
As long as you finally reveal your true identity, I think you'll be OK "Ian". 

• Love 1

I think that we must remember that many of the big name artists are now very much a commercial operation, out to capitalise on making money. I mean as much money as possible.

They have become a brand. The sharks !

It's more about business than art. Like premiership football is more about business than sport !

28 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I think this more about the fact that he refuses to reveal his true identity and therefore copyright can't be properly attributed.
As long as you finally reveal your true identity, I think you'll be OK "Ian". 

I just had two pics removed from Getty after a manufacturer of ammonia nitrate fertiliser complained that I had breached their trademark - maybe a bit touchy after half of Beirut has been blown up and seeking to disassociate the brand from the product?  The pics showed bags piled up in a barn with some context. They are still on Alamy and I hope if contacted that Alamy are more robust.

As always the Fail has got it wrong.

In fact Banksy has had one of his EU trademarks invalidated for bad faith.

Correct details here

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2020/09/copyright-is-for-losers-and-so-are.html

As it's not about copyright per se it has no bearing on what Alamy will allow to stay up if they're threatened by lawyers.

Edited by spacecadet