Huge amount of slides for sale

geogphotos

Anybody with a spare lifetime? 

Yes, they come with copyright - I enquired and the seller inherited them. 

Somewhere between 250,000 - 300,000 slides from  Jeff Greenberg a man in Yorkshire, England with a 'colourful' past including some publications and lecturing tours. 

Since I have managed to copy about 6,000 slides in total EVER and only around 1500 since my recent 'back to film' thing started 6 months ago. And since I am 64 years old. And since I value my marriage ( you know what I mean) I have PASSED on this one. 

A few years ago this would be considered a photo library all in its own right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124318642798?_trksid=p2487261.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI124318642798.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR5

23 hours to go.....

Edited by geogphotos

😮"Reserve not met"- a penny a slide would be £2500.

At the rate at which I got through my own 5,000 that's 2-4 years full-time. It would take weeks just to view them all.

Poor chap hasn't even got room in his garage for the car anymore.

Edited by spacecadet

It has just dawned on me that this might be a very interesting sale for stock photographers to know about - especially those with any plans to die anytime soon! 

In terms of probate value I mean. Market value for what are described as professional slide photos. A penny a slide might suit some needs.

Edited by geogphotos

Just now, geogphotos said:

Under two hours to go and the bid is over £800. Still a bargain price. 

I'd have thought £2500 -£3000

Have you seen any and if so, are they any good?

(Not going to bid - I have my own.)

wim

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Have you seen any and if so, are they any good?

(Not going to bid - I have my own.)

wim

Not going to bid. I put exactly that point to the seller who told me that he would try and upload some examples. But how do you choose representative examples from such a large number?

Most are too 'modern' for my taste. They don't have vintage quality and there will be digital equivalents. Others sound obscure - branch lines of long closed railways. 

I only posted really out of interest - thought it might be an education to see how our lifelong work might be valued once we are gone!

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I only posted really out of interest - thought it might be an education to see how our lifelong work might be valued once we are gone!

Zero or next to zero. I have no illusions.

Oh No Facepalm GIF

wim

Just now, geogphotos said:

£2,966.00 was the winning bid. 

Yes, it was beautifully sniped half a dozen times in the last eight or so seconds. Wish I'd got some popcorn.

So a penny a slide then.;) And a trip to York and weeks of work just to see if they're worth the candle😮

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Zero or next to zero. I have no illusions.

Oh No Facepalm GIF

wim

I can paint a rosier picture for you if you like. It's easy to do. Just ask the politicians. 🙄

That said, I'm hoping my Alamy collection will continue to earn some extra income for a significant other after I've returned to the Source. This is assuming that Alamy outlives me. Which reminds me,  I had better find out how to set that up.

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I had better find out how to set that up.

I have just written my first will. I have specifically referred to my copyrights. Then the executor (to whom I have sent some notes) I imagine presents Alamy with the will and a death certificate and they change the payee on the account. I can't think Canada will be much different.

Of course if you no longer need the money (haha) you could do it while you're still around. I still do need it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

On 11/09/2020 at 12:44, geogphotos said:

1p each 

And creating each new slide today probably costs £1. 🤢

Pretty much.

Last time I bought 35mm. reversal (OK, it was 1999) it was £5 process paid. Now north of £15 just for the film. Process/mount about £10. Inflation doesn't cover it.

Too bad as I still love my A1. It's a proper camera and its last battery (also probably from 1999) is still fine.

Edited by spacecadet

On 11/09/2020 at 09:36, spacecadet said:

I have just written my first will. I have specifically referred to my copyrights. Then the executor (to whom I have sent some notes) I imagine presents Alamy with the will and a death certificate and they change the payee on the account. 

Alamy response to a forum post a few years ago:

Firstly we would want to see a copy of a solicitor’s letter or death certificate.

There are two options

·         We can remove the images, close the account and pay any outstanding balance

·         We can keep the account open, change the contact details to your next of kin and continue to license the images

5 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Alamy response to a forum post a few years ago:

Firstly we would want to see a copy of a solicitor’s letter or death certificate.

There are two options

·         We can remove the images, close the account and pay any outstanding balance

·         We can keep the account open, change the contact details to your next of kin and continue to license the images

Yes. As I said.