Web hosting costs

Hi

I've maintained a personal web site for many years, starting from when my ISP provided a free hosting service. I've had to pay for this facility for years now, and the costs are increasing. I was never in this for the money, and haven't tried to exploit it financially other than to provide links to Alamy and POD. In addition to my personal stuff I also host the pages of a local folk dance group, which will become unavailable if I quit the service.  I guess the charges are not unreasonable if you are running a commercial operation, but for me it makes little sense.

Just wondering what freebies there are if any?

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've got a few pages here on Awardspace https://www.awardspace.com/ which seems to work for me. I can't recall what the limitations of the free service are. I didn't use any templates or anything, I just wrote the html so that I could be sure how the images were being treated.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Bryan, if you have adobe creative cloud subscription for Lightroom/Photoshop, there is also a free website in the package (Adobe portfolio).

• Like 1

It also depends upon whether you have a website that could be transferred to another host, if it was perhaps Wordpress for example, or it's even possible to create one through Lightroom. Hosting a simple website that you have created yourself should be very cheap, I don't pay much to Zen Internet and I don't even use that website anymore, just keep it hanging on in case I want to use FTP etc. Adobe Portfolio could be good, though probably not for the Folk Dancing Group. Again a hosting service like Zen Internet will allow you to host two domain names, or more in fact, but of course you have to pay extra.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hi

I've maintained a personal web site for many years, starting from when my ISP provided a free hosting service. I've had to pay for this facility for years now, and the costs are increasing. I was never in this for the money, and haven't tried to exploit it financially other than to provide links to Alamy and POD. In addition to my personal stuff I also host the pages of a local folk dance group, which will become unavailable if I quit the service.  I guess the charges are not unreasonable if you are running a commercial operation, but for me it makes little sense.

Bryan,

I went through the same issue earlier this year as I watched my hosting cost increase again - to best part of doubling in a year - so went looking for a new supplier.

I have opted with SharkHosting (Do not worry about the name) and they have been outstanding and five months in I am full of praise, saved me best part of 80% of the previous cost plus I get a great, fast cloud-based service.

Click Here for the details - Yes, this is an affiliates scheme but hosting at this price well worth a look!

• Love 1

I can't recommend any freebies, but PhotoShelter is quite reasonable. I have their "Basic" plan, which is $13 per month, plus I pay another $5 for extra storage. PS is pretty innovative. They might be worth looking at.

I get what you're saying, though. Licensing images on one's own is almost impossible these days, so there really isn't any financial gain -- just a fun factor -- to be had from maintaining a personal website. Like you, I provide links to my Alamy collection from my site. However, I have no idea if this has produced any sales here. Fortunately, my FAA website still manages to pay for itself many times over, even with only a handful of print sales every year, but it's only $30 annually.

Edited by John Mitchell