Controlling Sony WIFI from tablet

I am a complete beginner as far as clever phones and tablets are concerned. I possess a steam powered pay as you go mobile which is only switched on in emergencies etc. Tablet free zone too.

Sony have a so called App which is intended to allow a person to control the NEX 6 from a suitable phone. Does anyone know if a tablet would also be suitable and does it have to be a Sony product, or can say a Samsung tablet do the trick? What is the critical thing here, does it need special software/harware or what?

Bryan, I'm still trying to figure out how to work the wifi on my iPad mini . . . can I make calls or surf the Web on my NEX-6? 

Harware? Is that a town near the school where Harry Potter studied?  :)

Howhere the lads, as they say in these parts  :)

Thanks Callie - useful to know that you can combine bits of kit from different manufacturers, I live in hope!

Bryan can you control the Sony, or any Sony camera from an iPad? Is that the same thing as a tablet? And if so, does that mean you can see the image that you are taking a photo of on the iPad in real time? This is a subject for seniors and make no mistake. I have no clue at all.  :D

Don't answer any of this if you find its hurting your brain.  :D

Sonys with WiFi like the RX100MkII allow remote viewing, zoom for cameras with built-in zoom lenses, and release from iPad with some control of settings. You can't however zoom lenses fitted to interchangeable lens cameras even if they are powered zooms. Focus points can be seen.

Thanks for that David.Does it have to be an iPad or could I use say a Samsung tablet?

Gervais, I don't know the difference between an iPad and a tablet, maybe they are both tablets, its all very mysterious to me....

Bryan, I'm still trying to figure out how to work the wifi on my iPad mini . . . can I make calls or surf the Web on my NEX-6? 

Ed,to control the WIFI in your iPad or iPhone and go to  the icon that says "Settings" The second entry after 'Airplane Mode" will say Wi-Fi. From there you will see different WIFI networks.

You need to be in a wifi enabled place or at home with your computer set up for it. I'm on a Mac and have a modem with a router so setting it up was pretty automatic. I'm blond and did it myself. :-)

When I go to coffee places or hotels and try and use my device for email a pop up screen from those locations will usually make me accept their terms and provide the free wifi network.

I had a free APP that enables free telephone calls from an iPhone or iPad and used it many times. I think with Skype you can do that as well though they may charge a small fee for that now. There is also Viber which I think can do that as well as send texts thru wifi.Again,you need to be connected thru wifi to be able to do that.

I am sure they have APPS for Android phones for this too.

L

An App (free usually) is simply installed or your tablet/ipad then connects to, and controls your camera when connected to it using wi fi. There is no need for home routers free wifi etc, the wifi connection is between the tablet/ipad and the camera only on it's own private network. It is the same as live view, but without the wire basically. Hope this is clear.

Ed,to control the WIFI in your iPad or iPhone and go to  the icon that says "Settings" The second entry after 'Airplane Mode" will say Wi-Fi. From there you will see different WIFI networks.

You need to be in a wifi enabled place or at home with your computer set up for it. I'm on a Mac and have a modem with a router so setting it up was pretty automatic. I'm blond and did it myself. :-)

When I go to coffee places or hotels and try and use my device for email a pop up screen from those locations will usually make me accept their terms and provide the free wifi network.

I had a free APP that enables free telephone calls from an iPhone or iPad and used it many times. I think with Skype you can do that as well though they may charge a small fee for that now. There is also Viber which I think can do that as well as send texts thru wifi.Again,you need to be connected thru wifi to be able to do that.

L

I fear I might be blonder than you, Linda, metaphorically speaking.  :)  (In reality my hair was jet black until it went snowy white.)

I understand all the stuff you pointed out . . . it's the next steps I don't get. For instance, the different wifi providers' windows open and invite you to sign in with your password . . . but I don't have a password and they don't tell how to go about getting one. I have free wifi available at my local library branch, Starbucks and on the street at Broadway and Prince in Soho. 

I'll learn all this stuff when I get the time. Right now I have bigger fish to fry. Anyway, thanks for the advice, Linda.  B)

That's interesting, Mick. 

Here's what happens. You set the camera to WiFi remote operation after installing the Sony Camera or Photo Remote app on your device first. When you do this, the camera a) creates a network of its own  b ) shows you a password on the screen. You then select this network on your phone/pad/computer, and it appears as a locked network, asking for the password. You enter the password and immediately it connects, and you see the live view screen appear on your phone. You can now control the camera.

The Sony camera captures the raw files and/or large JPEGs on its own card, and transfers a roughly 2 megapixel (if I remember rightly) copy to your phone/pad's own memory. If you shoot video it does not copy anything to the phone at all, it all stays on the camera.

My iPhone and iPad both remembered the camera password and network, so next tie I used it, I did not have to check the rear screen at all or memorise the password. After the first use, they were effectively paired, and it took no time at all to set up for wireless control.

L

I fear I might be blonder than you, Linda, metaphorically speaking.  :)  (In reality my hair was jet black until it went snowy white.)

I understand all the stuff you pointed out . . . it's the next steps I don't get. For instance, the different wifi providers' windows open and invite you to sign in with your password . . . but I don't have a password and they don't tell how to go about getting one. I have free wifi available at my local library branch, Starbucks and on the street at Broadway and Prince in Soho. 

I'll learn all this stuff when I get the time. Right now I have bigger fish to fry. Anyway, thanks for the advice, Linda.  B)

That's interesting, Mick. 

I was recently at a party at an upscale hotel and the WIFI pop up screen came up when I tried to get my email.

I did not have the password so just asked the bartender and he gave it to me.

When in doubt,ask a bartender,LOL!

L

• 2 weeks later...

Archived