non-payment

Jason Wells

Question

Hi all,

Been with Alamy for a while but new to the forum so hello!

I've sold an image on 12/06 & have not yet received payment.  I've emailed Alamy & their auto reply says my email probably won't be answered & I could ask here instead.  I know payments aren't always instant, some take days, some weeks, but I'd like to know whether Alamy ever chase payments & how long do they want before going after the buyer?

9 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hello Jason, obvious question, is your cleared balance over $50?

Hi there. It isn't any more but having gone into my full statement I can see they've not received the money yet. The question is more the buyer paying alamy than alamy paying me, I'm familiar with the latter if that helps. 

10 minutes ago, vpics said:

Alamy won't pay you unless they have received a payment from the buyer.

Sure, am aware of that. My original question though was this;

"I'd like to know whether Alamy ever chase payments & how long do they want before going after the buyer?" 

52 minutes ago, Jason Wells said:

Sure, am aware of that. My original question though was this;

"I'd like to know whether Alamy ever chase payments & how long do they want before going after the buyer?" 

I've had one buyer finally pay up several months after picking a photo.  I queried Alamy about four or five months in and Contributor Relations replied that they were working on it.  Finally showed up some months after that.  Three figures, so I really was looking forward to receiving that money, and did finally receive it.

If the buyer goes out of business or goes bankrupt, Alamy won't be able to collect.

7 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I've had one buyer finally pay up several months after picking a photo.  I queried Alamy about four or five months in and Contributor Relations replied that they were working on it.  Finally showed up some months after that.  Three figures, so I really was looking forward to receiving that money, and did finally receive it.

If the buyer goes out of business or goes bankrupt, Alamy won't be able to collect.

Thanks that's answered it 🙂

Mines also three figures, normally I'd let nature take its course but after waiting two months for the buyer to pay I was getting nervous. Hopefully just a matter of time but from what you've said they do actively chase which is reassuring. 

9 hours ago, vpics said:

Alamy won't pay you unless they have received a payment from the buyer.

Oh yes they do (then take it away 3 years later):

Me: I notice in my July 2020 sales statement there are two refunds on sales apparently made in 2017. Can you explain to me why, after almost 3 years, these refunds have been debited from my account?

Alamy: Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, we've been unable to get payment from the customer in this instance. Our Credit Control team have worked very hard to try and get the money, but on this occasion they've been unable to.

This is the recent (August 2020) reponse I received from Alamy for 2 sales made, and credited, in 2017.

59 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Are you certain that you were actually paid for these sales? Not credited but paid?

I have an ongoing query with Contributor Relations regarding this. The two images in question were "sold" on 13 Nov 2016 & 6 Jan 2017. The sales were refunded on 30 Aug 2017. The same two images were then "sold" again on 30 Aug 2017 and refunded on 29 Sept 2017. The same two images were then "sold" AGAIN on 29 Sept 2017. My statement shows the sum total of these sales debited from my statement on 30 July 2020 as a refund.

I await a clearer explanation from contributor relations.