Hi All

I have A DSC-RX100 that I have had for many years but think it might be on It's last legs, the problem that I am having is that when I engage the shutter release it takes some time to focus, it sounds as though the focus drive has a problem in that it continues trying to focus and the motor is still running even when I have move it away from what I am photographing.

Repair or new RX100?

Liam

It sounds like a serious problem and I expect repair would be expensive if it is even possible. Fixation are back in business and do Sony repairs so might be worth checking but you might be paying close to what you would pay for a newer model. Given that there have been some major improvements over the evolution of the RX100 series, I would be inclined to go for a newer model. There is £100 off the Mark VA and VI at the moment from Wex (and presumably other sellers). Wex also have some used Mark III and IV cameras for sale. The reason I say Wex is that they do really examine gear very carefully when they take it as trade in so it should be in good nick and they give a guarantee as well.

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

It sounds like a serious problem and I expect repair would be expensive if it is even possible. Fixation are back in business and do Sony repairs so might be worth checking but you might be paying close to what you would pay for a newer model. Given that there have been some major improvements over the evolution of the RX100 series, I would be inclined to go for a newer model. There is £100 off the Mark VA and VI at the moment from Wex (and presumably other sellers). Wex also have some used Mark III and IV cameras for sale. The reason I say Wex is that they do really examine gear very carefully when they take it as trade in so it should be in good nick and they give a guarantee as well.

Thanks for the confirmation I thought it might be terminal, it will be another RX100 as they are a great little carry anywhere camera and the quality of the images that it produces are outstanding.  

I wouldn’t call what I said a confirmation - more a conjecture. You might still want to check out the Fixation website and get a quote for repair. 

22 hours ago, MDM said:

I wouldn’t call what I said a confirmation - more a conjecture. You might still want to check out the Fixation website and get a quote for repair. 

I will have it checked out first, but it is due for a replacement as I have had it several years.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a vi on this deal from B&H check out the open box deal $599 great price.

OB Like new with open box and full manufacturer's warranty or 1-year B&H warranty.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1569128-OREG/sony_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_vi_digital.html

B&H Used Equipment Rating System

We only sell used equipment that has been tested and proven to be in good working order.
N Brand new/never used, in original manufacturer's packaging
OB Like new with open box and full manufacturer's warranty or 1-year B&H warranty.
D Never owned; used for demonstration purposes only
R Restored by the manufacturer to original factory specifications
10 Preowned equipment that looks good as new; no signs of wear
9+ Preowned equipment that shows little to no signs of wear
9 Shows some signs of use; may exhibit minor scuffs or surface marks but overall looks very clean
8+ Shows moderate wear, scuffing or marks to finish
8 Well used - may exhibit "dings" or noticeable marks to finish
7 Shows considerable wear and above-average signs of use
6 Serviceable, but exhibits significant cosmetic or mechanical imperfections

Every item sold by B&H’s Used Department comes with our own 90-day parts and labor warranty (or longer for open box items). For many items, you may also purchase supplemental warranty coverage. Please refer to our "warranty policies", or ask your sales associate for details.

The B&H Used Dept. does not distinguish between "grey market" and USA-warranted merchandise for any item we sell. These distinctions are primarily important for warranty purposes for new merchandise; since all the merchandise sold through our used department is outside the manufacturer's warranty period, in almost every case, the issue is moot.

You should be aware that while almost all the items sold through our Used Dept. no longer qualify for the original manufacturer's warranty, certain manufacturers in the USA will not service goods whose original provenance was grey market, even for a fee. However, in almost every case, service is available through independent repair facilities.

Edited by Shergar
  • Love 1

It's amazing what a couple of pastys can do for you. In all seriousness it looks like they have a bunch at this price I had no problem ordering 4 just now. 

Not that I want 4, just checking. 

Shergar

Liam, you might want to read through some of the other posts in the forum on this subject. This is mine:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/12958-my-jammed-rx1006/

The improvements in Sony's later model RX100s are well worth the money, I feel. The RX100-6 has been my go-to stock camera for some time now.