Bug ID please

Bella

Could someone please help with ID of a bug. I think it's a June Bug/Beetle but I'm not certain. Seems that people are calling it cockchafer?? Maybe Melolontha - a genus of beetles in the family Scarabaeidae. The pic was taken in Canada and it was June :D

I can't find how to post a pic though!! Do I need to wait until it is uploaded or is there a way to add photos that aren't online?

Edited by Bella
Trying to add photo

I've uploaded to a website and now trying to copy to here.

I still can't get it to work? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can just copy the link but I wanted to post the pic like you all have done.

Edited by Bella
Trying to add photo

2 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Point your browser at the page with the image. Copy the image (e.g. right-click->Copy Image in Chrome), then paste it into your message here.

Alan

Thanks so much Alan, I just realised why it wouldn't work as Pixieset where I had posted it doesn't allow you to copy and paste so I've put it on Facebook and it will now work.

Image may contain: plant, nature and outdoor

All I'm seeing is "Image may contain: plant, nature and outdoor".  Facebook doesn't allow linking (just tried it with one of mine).  I've uploaded things to Alamy where I wasn't sure of the ID.   I don't know if it's necessary to have them on sale or not, but if so, you can always add the more specific information as soon as you have it.

• Like 1

may-beetle-serica-sp-R4FDXJ.jpg Yours doesn’t look like a junebug to me. This one is what is commonly called June bug in my part of the USA.
But maybe they have different forms of them.

As a kid, I saw older kids tie a string on one of their legs and watch them fly in circles as they hung onto the other end, before letting them go.

They lay eggs in the ground and as larvae, called grubs, they eat the roots of your lawn doing much damage in a heavy infestation.

Edited by Betty LaRue

13 hours ago, Bella said:

Thanks so much Alan, I just realised why it wouldn't work as Pixieset where I had posted it doesn't allow you to copy and paste so I've put it on Facebook and it will now work.

Image may contain: plant, nature and outdoor

macrodactylus subspinosus

Cheers and gone

Shergar

Oh, so you could see it? Fantastic! Thanks for your reply Betty and thanks so much for your help Shergar! They were eating my daughter's apple tree in the hundreds!