Cripes Ed, you reached 666 posts on Halloween. Gulp.

Nice picture. And you're right: it looks almost totally like a Glaucous, except for the tail, which should be white. I find it hard to believe it could be the lighting. Phil, doesn't a Herring gull also have a white tail? 

I think what looks like the tail is actually the wingtips - which suggest herring gull to me. If it is a glaucous, I may have to do some re-captioning.

I see what you mean, Phil, but aren't the wingtips on both boids also white or light grey? I'm going to bow out, since I'm sure there are far more knowledgable people on birds in this forum, including you and Vincent.  :)

(668 now . . . see, I'm not really the devil, just occasionally devilish.)

since I'm sure there are far more knowledgable people on birds in this forum, including you and Vincent.

Ha, not me when it comes to birds.  They're all 'seagulls' to me.... :)

However, I think Phil's correct with the Herring Gull.  There's photos of a both types together on this page and the herring gull looks closer.  The photos are about half way down...

http://avconline.avc.edu/cyorke/fieldnotes/CoastalSanDiegoBirdSurveys.html

Thanks all.

Yes, I see what you mean. My ID books give juvenile Great Black-backs in various different states of plumage which doesn't help much. The beak is certainly more like a Glaucous which brings it back to your original ID.

Jim.

But, as Phil pointed out, the tail/wing feathers are too dark, so I'm still inclined to go with the Herring.

Archived