Rights Managed images sold for in perpetuity use

Good afternoon,

I'm looking for some advice / opinions. All the images I have on Alamy I am selling as Rights Managed. I have noticed some of my images have been licensed under the following terms

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 10 January 2019
End: 10 January 2024
NU Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity.

Am I wrong in thinking that Rights Managed images are usually not licensed in perpetuity for multiple use? That sounds to me more like Royalty Free? I understand multiple use for RM images which would be stated as part of the licence, but usually it would be a fixed term license. Also the fact that it says in perpetuity but it also states and end date 2024, which confuses me.

Does anyone have any opinions / experience with this kind of thing?

Many thanks!

This hasn't been my experience. I've seen RM terms like this many times in the past.

Also: to my knowledge, there is no official definition of what RM and RF licences consist of. The sales team is free to offer the terms they need to in order to make the sale. As media evolves, terms evolve too.

Hi Nathaniel,

It's quite common with Alamy these days. They actually recommend in their guidelines that you should try to put images on sale as RF, although a lot of us prefer RM. But Alamy often seems to sell under a hybrid RM/RF license type. I think the selling team use their judgement depending on the client and photo etc.

Opinion...? Well, I'll generally just take the sale I guess seeing as the buyer has so many options within Alamy and on other platforms. I generally don't worry about the terms so much as the fee tbh.

Steve

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts.

53 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Nathaniel,

It's quite common with Alamy these days. They actually recommend in their guidelines that you should try to put images on sale as RF, although a lot of us prefer RM. But Alamy often seems to sell under a hybrid RM/RF license type. I think the selling team use their judgement depending on the client and photo etc.

Opinion...? Well, I'll generally just take the sale I guess seeing as the buyer has so many options within Alamy and on other platforms. I generally don't worry about the terms so much as the fee tbh.

Steve

Well that's just the thing, the fee for these was $1.23 which really raised some flags for me. 

2 minutes ago, Nathaniel Noir said:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Well that's just the thing, the fee for these was $1.23 which really raised some flags for me. 

I see it's novel use, that probably explains it (this is an additional revenue option you can opt in or out of on your Dashboard).

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nathaniel Noir said:

Thanks for the thoughts.

You will probably find your image on theculturetrip.com. If you opt out of NU in April you may still be making sales to them but they will pay $3. So sad to see these amounts.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

You will probably find your image on theculturetrip.com. If you opt out of NU in April you may still be making sales to them but they will pay $3. So sad to see these amounts.

Paulette

Oh yes, I've had lots of images on Culture Trip and I agree with you, the fees they pay a quite shocking. It's really sad. I have seen instances where they bought images for a dollar and just kept on re-using is across various articles. 

I do realise that RM is flexible depending on what is agreed between the two parties, but was also hoping that there would be at least some difference between the two. RM was meant to restrict an image user to a specific usage / specific purpose.... so yes, this is disappointing to see.

17 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Also how do you opt in and out of NU? It's puzzling that Culture Trip would be considered NU

Edited by Nathaniel Noir

20 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

I don't get CT sales coming up as NU. They come up as $3. And yes I am in NU but haven't had an NU sale for about 8 years.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Nathaniel Noir said:

Also how do you opt in and out of NU? It's puzzling that Culture Trip would be considered NU

Unfortunately you can't opt out until April. I know it's a long way away. I've been getting some $2 distributor bulk sale discounts in Estonia that I would like to get out of but can't for a while. You go to Additional Revenue Options on your dashboard.

Paulette

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Unfortunately you can't opt out until April. I know it's a long way away. I've been getting some $2 distributor bulk sale discounts in Estonia that I would like to get out of but can't for a while. You go to Additional Revenue Options on your dashboard.

Paulette

I see, what a bummer! Would have opted out now if I could, guess this is going in the calendar!

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Nathaniel Noir

20 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

never had a NU with them, nor such a low fee.  are you sure?  

20 hours ago, Nathaniel Noir said:

they haven"t been for me.  Also they are quite good at giving credit and using images as is, so a quick search would confirm that it was them, but what you describe doesn't match mu experience.  Every sales has been as follows:

Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity 

which mean you can't even opt out of that deal

18 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

they haven"t been for me.  Also they are quite good at giving credit and using images as is, so a quick search would confirm that it was them, but what you describe doesn't match mu experience.  Every sales has been as follows:

Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity 

which mean you can't even opt out of that deal

I have googled it and it was them indeed, most of my Culture Trip sales were quite low fee, but I have't noticed them being NU much

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nathaniel Noir said:

I have googled it and it was them indeed, most of my Culture Trip sales were quite low fee, but I have't noticed them being NU much

that is interesting.  I wonder why the change for this one.  Also worrying about the $1.23 fee, as this represent a more than 60% drop on what they were paying just 3 months ago.  I wonder if this is something we will see in the Travel image market over the next while. 

Just now, meanderingemu said:

that is interesting.  I wonder why the change for this one.  Also worrying about the $1.23 fee, as this represent a more than 60% drop on what they were paying just 3 months ago.  I wonder if this is something we will see in the Travel image market over the next while. 

I really hope not, as that's my focus area.