Vehicle identity experts please help

I have this as a 1960s Land Rover. 

Any advance on this would be greatly appreciated.

RSR is Rhodesia and presumably this is crossing the Zambezi River

Thanks

I00003Lcu3.rq_0o.jpg

I000021xj7Ln8zPc.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

It is a short wheel base (SWB) Land Rover and I think the fact that the door is flat and doesn't flare out below the 'waistline' makes it a Series 1, Series II had a wider body. There seems to be a picture of the actual model here with the 'double-skinned Safari roof'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_series#Series_I

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

It is a short wheel base (SWB) Land Rover and I think the fact that the door is flat and doesn't flare out below the 'waistline' makes it a Series 1, Series II had a wider body. There seems to be a picture of the actual model here with the 'double-skinned Safari roof'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_series#Series_I

Brilliant, thank Harry

Series I 86 inch Hard Top. Showing double-skinned '"Safari Roof"

I've always secretly rather wanted an old Land Rover despite spending a cold and uncomfortable 6 months driving up to London as a passenger in a Series II. Fortunately they are now way too expensive and a target for thieves who try and steal the doors and just about everything else off them. I blame Armand and Michaela Denis. 

Edited by Harry Harrison

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Horrible Agfacolor slides - so grainy. 

Ah, the great CT18- I loved them for the colour, though- maybe it was a bit better by the late 70s. In about 1984 they quietly dropped the Ossi emulsion and went to E6 like everybody else. But I still missed the colour.

I still have a couple of the big orange slide boxes with the slot in the front for the clip of film with the lab number on it- they say "Agfacolor" even though the film was being sold as Agfachrome by then

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I0000Y_zmLy_luk8.jpg

Glazer or Blazer or similar written on side at front

Can't see one on Alamy.

Chevy Blazer of course. Somewhere I have a b/w image of me with one foot inside and leaning on the door with that huge exact same rear view mirror. That was taken around 1975.

wim

The real curse of Agfa happened if you tried to copy it. basically, all neutral shadows went green. Ok if you don't mind populating your dupes with little green men. It was OK when we came to the era of scanning. A little grainy perhaps, but a whole lot better than that horrid green cast

These are slide that I have bought, not pics that I have taken.

The Agfachromes from the mid 1970s seem okay from what I a have across so far, but the ones from 1967 are awful in terms of grain.

Look at some of the ones from Romania ( blue link). Quite disappointing.

Edited by geogphotos

31 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

The real curse of Agfa happened if you tried to copy it. basically, all neutral shadows went green. Ok if you don't mind populating your dupes with little green men. It was OK when we came to the era of scanning. A little grainy perhaps, but a whole lot better than that horrid green cast

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

The Agfachromes from the mid 1970s seem okay from what I am doing across, but the ones from 1967 are awful in terms of grain.

Might that second one actually be a copy? It does look rather green, doesn't match the first one at all. I'm sure it's not down to the scanning😀

Edited by spacecadet

17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Might that second one actually be a copy? It does look rather green, doesn't match the first one at all. I'm sure it's not down to the scanning😀

No, fairly sure that these are all fresh out of camera, but don't think it was that great a camera. That second one of the man on the hay cart is dark whereas the others are, at least, reasonable in terms of exposure. I've only done those few ( and some in the pipeline) from two boxes of 36. No point doing landscapes and buildings, maybe at a second 'edit'.

Edited by geogphotos

I0000IVObFQg4Rsc.jpg

Any idea of car and location?

Northern California or Washington State picture taken in 1977

I0000OuuVVOg98zo.jpg

I know where this is but are those two Cadillacs?

Yes am going to re-take this picture.

Thanks for any help 🙂

Edited by geogphotos

For the location it really looks like somewhere on the Sierra Nevada in California as the scape looks very much what you find in Yosemite National Park. Now where exactly is another question (of course I could be in the wrong part of the world completely!)

2 minutes ago, Martin L said:

For the location it really looks like somewhere on the Sierra Nevada in California as the scape looks very much what you find in Yosemite National Park. Now where exactly is another question (of course I could be in the wrong part of the world completely!)

Thanks, it is definitely in that area. 

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The location of this took me a while but I have got it now.

Where is it? Near Mono Lake? No not that many motels. Pity I can only view it at 1000px wide.

The green car is one with a hood ornament. That narrows it down quite a bit. We seem to be in the late seventies? No it's a 1976 Plymouth Volare. I'm pretty sure you can read Volare with an é on the side.

Sure looks like a fine camping spot to me!

wim

The location is Williams, Arizona. I found it by searching for the names of the three motels - Sun Dial, Downtowner, Gateway. The Downtowner now has a different name ( can't read it at the moment on my Chromebook) This is  the old Route 66 but since 1976 the town has been bypassed so has less traffic, the Shell garage has closed. The old  Downtowner has a different name but the same shaped sign, and the hill in the background helped with the rectangular, whitish building on the left in front of the hill.  Not so easy to see on this smaller image but the pattern of windows is distinctive.

The green car must be brand new in 1976 -  a hire car probably. Yes a nice camping spot but I would go further away from the rubbish bins. No idea of the location.

There are 4 boxes x 36 slides from this 1976 trip. Somehow they include San Francisco, New Orleans, Philadelphia, New York and places such as the above in Arizona. Their first trip to the States and perhaps a fly-drive deal? 

The trip in 1977 ( pics above -  also 4 boxes) goes between San Francisco and Seattle. Not looked at the 4 boxes of their 1978 US trip as yet.

Realised that I drove through Williams  on the way to the Grand Canyon circa 2002 and out of curiosity did drive down the old 66 to have a look around. Took no pics though, busy driving an RV with family in the back wanting to know 'are we nearly there yet'.

Same tent in 1976 and 1977. Camping for free to save a bit of money just like the trip to Romania in Mini van in 1967?

So the photographer did three trips to USA - 36 x 4 Agfachrome slides produced on each. Each of the photograph choices was selected and had some meaning - some sense of place/experience. Perhaps they spent a night in one of the Williams motels? I call that very interesting Geography.

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

The location is Williams, Arizona. I found it by searching for the names of the three motels - Sun Dial, Downtowner, Gateway. The Downtowner now has a different name ( can't read it at the moment on my Chromebook) This is  the old Route 66 but since 1976 the town has been bypassed so has less traffic, the Shell garage has closed. The old  Downtowner has a different name but the same shaped sign, and the hill in the background helped with the rectangular, whitish building on the left in front of the hill.  Not so easy to see on this smaller image but the pattern of windows is distinctive.

The green car must be brand new in 1976 -  a hire car probably. Yes a nice camping spot but I would go further away from the rubbish bins. No idea of the location.

There are 4 boxes x 36 slides from this 1976 trip. Somehow they include San Francisco, New Orleans, Philadelphia, New York and places such as the above in Arizona. Their first trip to the States and perhaps a fly-drive deal? 

The trip in 1977 ( pics above -  also 4 boxes) goes between San Francisco and Seattle. Not looked at the 4 boxes of their 1978 US trip as yet.

Realised that I drove through Williams  on the way to the Grand Canyon circa 2002 and out of curiosity did drive down the old 66 to have a look around. Took no pics though, busy driving an RV with family in the back wanting to know 'are we nearly there yet'.

Same tent in 1976 and 1977. Camping for free to save a bit of money just like the trip to Romania in Mini van in 1967?

So the photographer did three trips to USA - 36 x 4 Agfachrome slides produced on each. Each of the photograph choices was selected and had some meaning - some sense of place/experience. Perhaps they spent a night in one of the Williams motels? I call that very interesting Geography.

Interesting stuff indeed! I do have images from Flagstaff and Seligman (on Alamy) So I must have come through Williams as well because these are to the East and West respectively on Route 66. Probably before I understood that touristy = good (for stock).

We carry a tent as well 😁. We also did SF-Seattle long time ago. No RV - yet. Not in the US at least.

wim

I realised that I didn't take any pictures of the RV and very few of the kids! 

Picking up a huge RV - the first time driving one - in Los Angeles was a bit scary. It was a great holiday but not much good for photography. The trouble with an RV is that the whole family has to go everywhere together so not much opportunity going off taking photos. 

You make a great point. I have spent so much time trying to make sure that I exclude people and cars from photos - because they will date them. It turns out that is what makes the pictures of interest.....30 years later.