Elements 11 will not open from icon

Elements 11 had worked perfectly for months until this week.  It refuses to open either from the desktop icon or if I right click and image and select 'Edit with an external program'.  If I open it via the main adobe screen it is very slow to open.  All other programs working normally.

I don't use Organiser so usually open straight into the Editor.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks

John

You haven't mentioned what platform you are using, its OS, or if you have had some recent software updates.

Sometimes something as simple as restarting your machine will kick everything back into running order.

If that doesn't do the trick, you might check that your hard drive is OK using your disk utility (be sure everything is backed up first if it recommends fixing).

Dave

I think your icon has moved from it's saved location, this can happen if you updated any program, windows etc. a simple fix, just open the start bar find the program and drag and drop it to the desktop or another slight more complex way, just left click on icon find the properties tab click then find the location in the property tab and edit the the location to the elements directory.

It sounds like it is more than simply reassociating the progam with the icon if it is opening slowly. See if you can locate the actual program file and then try resetting the prefs as below. I've not used Win 7 so can't give specific instructions on how to do this.

It is very often worth trying  to reset the preferences with Photoshop (and I would guess also with Elements) if they are not behaving as expected. This is always the first thing I do and it often works. Hold down control-option-shift  (command-option-shift on a Mac) as you open the program and you should be offered a chance to reset your prefs. You lose any preferences you have set of course. But it is better than reinstalling which will often retain the older prefs file and not solve the problem.

If you don't have any luck with the above, you may be better going on the Elements forum on the Adobe site.

Thanks to you all who have offered suggestions.  At present I can't locate my program (moved recently - it's here somewhere syndrome).

I would like to try your suggestion of control-option-shift keys but not sure what the 'option' key is MDM.  I don't have that on my keyboard but do have one marked Alt.

John

If you go into the C Drive and into this folder

Program Files 

Sometimes it's called Program Files x86

There's a folder called Adobe

Inside that there's probably one called PSE or something. Then inside that locate the PhotoshopElements.exe file. Right click it and "Send to" Desktop (create shortcut) this places a new shortcut on the desktop with a link to the softwares executable file. 

For CS6 it's just called Photoshop.exe.

Thanks to you all who have offered suggestions.  At present I can't locate my program (moved recently - it's here somewhere syndrome).

I would like to try your suggestion of control-option-shift keys but not sure what the 'option' key is MDM.  I don't have that on my keyboard but do have one marked Alt.

John

Sorry John, my mistake. I should have said alt key. I don't know for sure if it will work for Elements but I would suspect it should. You should probably follow Paul's suggestion to locate the .exe file and open the program from that.

Thanks again for advice offered.  My desktop icon is directly from the .exe file - I've even tried a new one with same results.  Some times the program opens immediately when clicked or if I right click on an image and select 'Edit with an external program' and select Elements.  Most times I get the little blue 'loading circle' for a couple of seconds and then nothing.  I will have to hunt out the program disc and reload.

At least I can still use the program -it's just a pain after it being rock solid for months.

Regards

John

I had a similar sort of problem with a program suddenly refusing to open. After much investigation, it turned out to be my virus scanner (Avast) blocking it as a suspicious file. Added the program to the Avast's 'exclusions' and the program burst into life. Many hours of my life that I will never get back...

Thanks Number Six

That might be my problem - I am only using MS Security Essentials which has proved very reliable so far.  I've now reloaded the software and there is an improvement but it's still slow the first time I open it up.  Once it's been opened it runs at normal speed until the next start up.

Will have a look at Security Essentials to see what options there are (if any).

Cheers

John

That might be my problem - I am only using MS Security Essentials which has proved very reliable so far.  I've now reloaded the software and there is an improvement but it's still slow the first time I open it up.  Once it's been opened it runs at normal speed until the next start up.

Cheers

John

John

I find PSE11 is always a bit slower to open first time on my PC, possibly because the program is loading files onto memory. After that when I reopen it in the same session it does load a lot quicker. Maybe something to do with the files still sitting somewhere awaiting reactivation. Not a techie so would not know where, how or why.

Allan

Archived