Aviation experts - is this worth it?

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I can't see that cowling as having a Gipsy Queen in it. Ian's original image showed the intake and it looked very unlike a DH one.

Ok, can I take this flipping anorak off now. Too hot today!

19 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Who's the anorak? I'm quibbling about the air intake on a Gipsy Queen. Sad.

Can I join the nerd's club, I'll just get my anorak? I want to see that intake!

After further rummaging I am coming to the conclusion it is a DH Heron taken from the co-pilots seat. They were much more common than the Lancastrian. The one through the screen appears to have a windscreen wiper in the right configuration. 🙄

Edited by Martin P Wilson

• Heron C.Mk 3: VIP transport version for the Queen's Flight, Royal Air Force (RAF). Two built.
  • Heron C.Mk 4: VIP transport aircraft for Queen's Flight, RAF. One built.
  • Sea Heron C.Mk 20: Transport and communications aircraft for the Royal Navy. Three ex-civil Heron 2s and two Heron 2Bs were acquired by the Royal Navy in 1961.

16 minutes ago, geogphotos said:
  • Heron C.Mk 3: VIP transport version for the Queen's Flight, Royal Air Force (RAF). Two built.
  • Heron C.Mk 4: VIP transport aircraft for Queen's Flight, RAF. One built.
  • Sea Heron C.Mk 20: Transport and communications aircraft for the Royal Navy. Three ex-civil Heron 2s and two Heron 2Bs were acquired by the Royal Navy in 1961.

It's not a Heron. Even if the engines and windows didn't disqualify it, the Heron had a short range and a service ceiling of 18500ft above sea level. It couldn't have flown over Kilimanjaro (19342ft ASL).

Edited by spacecadet

22 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's not a Heron. Even if the engines and windows didn't disqualify it, the Heron had a short range and a service ceiling of 18500ft above sea level. It couldn't have flown over Kilimanjaro (19342ft ASL).

I agree , I have changed my mind now I have seen the original picture the wings aren't sufficiently tapered either.

Edited by Martin P Wilson