Jump to content
geogphotos

Aviation experts - is this worth it?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I can't see that cowling as having a Gipsy Queen in it. Ian's original image showed the intake and it looked very unlike a DH one.

 

Ok, can I take this flipping anorak off now. Too hot today!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

Ok, can I take this flipping anorak off now. Too hot today!

Who's the anorak? I'm quibbling about the air intake on a Gipsy Queen. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Who's the anorak? I'm quibbling about the air intake on a Gipsy Queen. Sad.

 

Can I join the nerd's club, I'll just get my anorak? I want to see that intake!

 

After further rummaging I am coming to the conclusion it is a DH Heron taken from the co-pilots seat. They were much more common than the Lancastrian. The one through the screen appears to have a windscreen wiper in the right configuration. 🙄

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Heron C.Mk 3: VIP transport version for the Queen's Flight, Royal Air Force (RAF). Two built.
  • Heron C.Mk 4: VIP transport aircraft for Queen's Flight, RAF. One built.
  • Sea Heron C.Mk 20: Transport and communications aircraft for the Royal Navy. Three ex-civil Heron 2s and two Heron 2Bs were acquired by the Royal Navy in 1961.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, geogphotos said:
  • Heron C.Mk 3: VIP transport version for the Queen's Flight, Royal Air Force (RAF). Two built.
  • Heron C.Mk 4: VIP transport aircraft for Queen's Flight, RAF. One built.
  • Sea Heron C.Mk 20: Transport and communications aircraft for the Royal Navy. Three ex-civil Heron 2s and two Heron 2Bs were acquired by the Royal Navy in 1961.

It's not a Heron. Even if the engines and windows didn't disqualify it, the Heron had a short range and a service ceiling of 18500ft above sea level. It couldn't have flown over Kilimanjaro (19342ft ASL).

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's not a Heron. Even if the engines and windows didn't disqualify it, the Heron had a short range and a service ceiling of 18500ft above sea level. It couldn't have flown over Kilimanjaro (19342ft ASL).

I agree , I have changed my mind now I have seen the original picture the wings aren't sufficiently tapered either.

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might it be a much smaller plane? The photographer ended up being a helicopter pilot so he could well have been in the RAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm swayed by the concensus.  It's not a Heron cockpit. 

 

That vent on top of the cowling must be a clue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think that you each need to buy a Personal Use licence and examine it at 100% 😁

Edited by geogphotos
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.