Bad QC history

I've been a contributor since 2008 but not a very good one in the past! Now things have changed and I think I'm let down by QC history, can I erase it or would I be best to just set up a new account?

To give a bit more context, I signed up just after university in 2008 to upload some student work. Most of it failed, understandably!

Then in 2009, I'd been working as a photographer on a cruise ship and wanted to upload some travel photography. Most of it failed again, I don't think my camera was good enough, so again, very understandable.

Came back to it again in 2016 mostly to upload only the best of my travel photography taken on my Canon 5D mk2. I spent a lot of time choosing the best and making sure they would be good enough for the Alamy QC. I uploaded lots in one go, but one image failed for "soft or lacking in definition", perhaps it was, but that meant everything else failed for "one or more images failed QC. This means the remaining images have been rejected without being accessed". Pretty disappointed by that one, so I gave up again.

Fast forward to now, May 2020. I'm now a food photographer, shoot on a Hasselblad H6D for big supermarket clients and I have lots of tests and shots that I've done on the side which would be great for  a library. But I'm worried my QC history is going to let me down and submissions are going to take weeks to be seen. 

QC is taking longer atm, but there's no reason you shouldn't pass if your work is up to scratch. You haven't uploaded for years so your past QC failures will no longer be relevant.

Have a look at the QC star rating in your dashboard. If it's still 3 you should be fine.

I probably don't need to tell you this but make sure your contracts enable you to put unused client material in a library.

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've actually got a 1 star rating 🙁.

I know I wouldn't be able to use client material, I just do a lot of test shots in between using the props hired etc.

19 minutes ago, MJHaydon said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've actually got a 1 star rating 🙁.

I know I wouldn't be able to use client material, I just do a lot of test shots in between using the props hired etc.

I am still a one star rating since I started in 2008 due to irregular QC fails. One of my image uploads has been in QC for about five weeks now. This is affecting my position in the rankings and the CTR etc, etc.

Someone suggested that I start a new account but I do not think that would go down well with Alamy as I upload on a reasonably regular basis. However in your case I would certainly consider starting a new account. It won't hurt and you will be starting with a median rank.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your reply. I've made a new account now with my business email address. Hopefully I'll get off to a better start this time.

Marc

Edited by MJHaydon

Does anyone know how to delete images that are awaiting QC? I want to get rid of my recent upload on my old account but I can't see how to do that?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, MJHaydon said:

Does anyone know how to delete images that are awaiting QC? I want to get rid of my recent upload on my old account but I can't see how to do that?

Thanks.

You can't delete anything while it is waiting but as soon as it passes go to the Image Manager and at the bottom of the optional page there is a delete button.

Paulette

Marc, interesting history! There's a lot of information about Keywording, common mistakes to avoid with stock photos, etc. on the Forum on existing posts. I would really take this opportunity to get all the help you can from Forum members as soon as you start with your new account. Just so you get off to a good start and don't have to learn anything the hard way after you've uploaded a few hundred or thousand pictures.

Good luck.

Steve

As you have started with a new account, remember that Alamy announced that new members are now looking at 4 weeks to have their initial 3 image submission assessed, so you probably aren't looking at much difference, except perhaps in ranking as your current ranking is probably low due to such few images.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan