Saw my photograph in The Times Weekend supplement

Hi,

I registered with Alamy quite along time ago, but I only have a very small collection of uploaded photos and for various reasons I haven't contributed anything at all for the last couple of years. From time to time I've logged in to see if there's been any interest in my photos. And usually I find that there's been very little interest. Anyway last Saturday (19th Oct) I picked up a copy of The Times on the way to the barber's so I had something to read while waiting for my turn. I was quite surprised to see a photos that looked very familiar and the more I looked at it, the more certain I became that it was my photo. But there was no credit at all next to the photo, so I couldn't be sure where they had got it from or that it was actually my photo.

So it was straight home from the barber's to check, and after a few minutes there was absolutely no doubt that it was my photo. Next I had to find out where I had uploaded the photo and after a bit of searching I manage to also confirm that the photo is only on sale through Alamy. CPXED1 is an autumn photograph from Alderley Edge in Cheshire and it was used in The Times Weekend supplement to illustrate walk no. 14 in the article "20 best autumn walks". 

As this is the first time I've seen any of my photos used I am a little bit uncertain about what I should expect to see on Alamy. When I check the activity on my photos I find that my photo was included in a search for "Alderley Edge" and that it was zoomed. However, there is no indication of any sale. As I am certain the photo must have come through Alamy I am little bit puzzled as I would have expected there to be some indication that it had been sold. But so far there is no indication at all of this. So how long does it normally take before sales are registered? I would have thought it would have been pretty instantaneous, but I am perhaps wrong about that?

I have looked around a bit and I see that I am also opted in to a special agreement with the UK newspaper industry. Could this possibly explain why there's no indication of any sales at this stage? I think it said that purchases are settled on a monthly basis so I suppose that could mean that any sales will only be registered once the monthly settlement has been done.

While I am obviously delighted that my photo has been used and that (hopefully) I'll eventually be paid, I am a little bit upset that there was no credit at all next to it. I suppose this is a quite common issue. Is there any legal requirement for photos to be credited?

In any case this has given me a bit of a buzz and a bit of a kick up the backside to get some of the photos I've taken during the last couple of years properly sorted out and uploaded. And hopefully my next sale will come a bit sooner than my first one!

I have just been chasing up a shot that the Daily Mail published in July and hasn't been reported in my sales yet. MS said some of the papers only report the shots they have used every 3 months so you may have a little wait.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It happened a few times to me that my photos appearing in the Saturday Times but no sales are reported.

According to MS, it could take up to 3 months for The Times to report the sale to Alamy (I don't know the other papers).  

The thing you can do is to keep the copy of the picture and wait to see if the sale is reported in the meantime.  After 3 months, if not reported, you can contact MS with the proof (photo of the picture with the date of the paper showing).  

Sometimes the sale will be reported before 3 month's lapse.  In this case, you can ask to MS if the sale of the picture is for the Times (on that particular date).  If not, it is an extra sale and if yes, the sale is now reported.

Hope it helps.

Pete, I'm sure that you treat all this stuff in a professional manner and would not be ringing up the pictures desks of papers and magazines asking them to send you a copy of the publication - nor would you contact one of Alamy's clients offering to do a deal on the side - however, Alamy and most other libraries are not sure that you would not act in such a silly or unscrupulous manner - so they keep the name of the client to themselves.

It is ridiculous in this day and age of computer systems that when a newspaper uses an image the payment doesn't go straight into the next accounting run.

The most we should wait for payment is two months depending on where in the accounting cycle the usage falls.

Its nice that Alamy have recently reduced its payout threshold. All we need now is for the reporting system/payment clearing to be fixed. I don't go into a shop, pick up something and walk out with it telling the shop keeper Its okay I will pay you in 3 months, oh and by the way you'll have to wait another 3 months for the payment to clear after that.

To OP: If youre in the newspaper scheme, dont get too excited, you will be lucky to get around $11 net

Archived