LFC Player ID?

Ed Rooney

Question

17 answers to this question

Mark Chamberlain - legacy of my student days in the Potteries. he had a few years at Vale late 70s and early 80s (where he played against my boys) before going to Stoke where he didn't - we were too low back then. Very fast, direct winger. Played in the same Stoke squad as Peter Fox, Sammy Mcilroy, the very very tall Brendan O'Callaghan who scored inside 12 seconds of his debut with his first touch  (headed in a corner), Paul Bracewell, Mickey Thomas, a good side by local standards but a bit less fun than a few years earlier. And a lot more than now!

He also played for England.

On 29/01/2020 at 15:05, Inchiquin said:

Strangely I don't remember his dad at all, though I was around at the time.

Alan

Bet you really did not want to remember them!

On 04/03/2020 at 14:02, Stephen Lloyd said:

Paul Bracewell

Now there was a good footballer - one of my favourites at the time. He was a star player in the exciting Everton team that vied with Liverpool for the top spot in the 80s. IIRC a glittering England career beckoned until he was out of action for a long time with a serious injury, and as so often happens his career never recovered.

Alan

On 04/03/2020 at 14:02, Stephen Lloyd said:

Mark Chamberlain - legacy of my student days in the Potteries. he had a few years at Vale late 70s and early 80s (where he played against my boys) before going to Stoke where he didn't - we were too low back then. Very fast, direct winger. Played in the same Stoke squad as Peter Fox, Sammy Mcilroy, the very very tall Brendan O'Callaghan who scored inside 12 seconds of his debut with his first touch  (headed in a corner), Paul Bracewell, Mickey Thomas, a good side by local standards but a bit less fun than a few years earlier. And a lot more than now!

He also played for England.

Bet you really did not want to remember them!

Yes, that was a good Stoke side at the time!

We signed both Mark and his brother Neville(!) from the Vale. Mark was superb and could win games single-handedly. If he was injured the management kept it quiet as the crowd would have been half than if he'd played, he was that exciting a player.

That side wasn't as good as the early 70's side with Jimmy Greenhoff, Gordon Banks and the maestro Alan Hudson in it - what a player he was!!

We are staging a bit of a come back with Michael O'Neil in charge, and if we survive this season hopefully we will have a good shot at promotion next season.

John.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 09:19, Stokie said:

Yes, that was a good Stoke side at the time!

We signed both Mark and his brother Neville(!) from the Vale. Mark was superb and could win games single-handedly. If he was injured the management kept it quiet as the crowd would have been half than if he'd played, he was that exciting a player.

That side wasn't as good as the early 70's side with Jimmy Greenhoff, Gordon Banks and the maestro Alan Hudson in it - what a player he was!!

We are staging a bit of a come back with Michael O'Neil in charge, and if we survive this season hopefully we will have a good shot at promotion next season.

John.

As a Wigan supporter it means if the season's cancelled, we're safe........

28 minutes ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

As a Wigan supporter it means if the season's cancelled, we're safe........

Yes, same here! We were due to play you next game at your place.

I think the season will be cancelled, I can't see it starting again, maybe not even this year.

John.

12 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I think the season will be cancelled, I can't see it starting again, maybe not even this year.

John.

Given that it's unlikely there'd be time to run the full 2020-21 season either by the time large public events could re-continue it'd make sense to scrub that and finish the 2019-20 when they can, plus both sets of knock-out competitions. As a reds fan I'd much prefer a proper end to the season rather than champions by default.

Looks like we're getting our wishes. Our manager said it's not possible for the championship to finish with an integrity - I agree with him. Whilst we will benefit I fele for those in Hull who have lost 4 key players to contract issues and two stars in January to financial issues. They were plummeting pre lockdown, now they look doomed - and Charlton not a lot better losing Lyle Taylor. They're below us so I'm happy but Barnsley and Luton may be very happy. 

On a more interesting note, have anyone noticed the photographers at the games? They appear to be using the empty crowd space for angles they could not get before. Hawkeye seems to be doing the same sadly.