Anyone using Sony Imaging Edge edit rather than LR/PS?

Currently using Camera Raw/PS for image development and awaiting PS Cloud price increase for 2020.  Thinking of moving to Imaging Edge for my Sony A6000/RX100M3 if increase unacceptable. I am uncertain about PS intentions. Looks like newly released Edge has fringe adjustments in Lens Correction section. Has anyone been using Edge with one of the free photo applications such as Luminar 4 and/or GIMP with good results? I actually purchased Luminar 4 at the discounted price and find it useful as long as moderation is employed. It installed itself as a separate program as well as a plug-in to PS so transferring an image from PS to Luminar 4 and back is seamless. With the depressing sales revenue now available, there comes a time when operating costs will have to be looked at.

Alamy has licensed perfectly good pictures of mine at less that $2 and most are below $5. The $40-60 and above images are getting fewer and fewer. Definitely not viable to pay serious money to go taking stock images. I am really only taking images mostly as an adjunct to leisure except locally. I don't see any improvements in the future.

Not using luminar 4, but am generally operating with open source software. 

Concur with you, as my sales does also not warrant paying a huge sum for software. 

Using darktable for RAW conversion and Gimp for editing that cannot be done in darktable. 

I am not doing any leading edge photo editing and both tools offer all I need. 

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

I bought a copy of LR 6 standalone and found it to be perfectly fine

at a fraction of the price.

Not available any more regrettably, but I'm fine with it also. No good if you're using a camera that's been launched in 2019 though. I took the advice of this forum and added a third-party dehaze filter which works well when it's needed. Clearly the current CC version of Lightroom also has other improvements.

I was in John Lewis yesterday and they have pre-paid cards for Lightroom/Photoshop at £159.95, register on-line etc. That surprised me as I thought it was only £9.98/month anyway.

Edited by Harry Harrison

2 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

surely that is telling Abobe something. 

Somehow think it will fall on deaf ears, there is nothing else like Lightroom (if you use the cataloguing as I do), and it's very good of course, so they don't have to do anything really. The 'offer' that I saw in the store (it's not on their website) was for 1 year's subscription to the Photoshop/Lightroom CC offering. I've got a sinking feeling that I'll have to go in there again tomorrow so I might take another look, seems too expensive unless it's ahead of some price increase that we don't know about yet.

Edited by Harry Harrison

On 22/12/2019 at 09:50, alphaomega said:

Thinking of moving to Imaging Edge for my Sony A6000/RX100M3

Have you thought about the Capture One Sony 'Express' option, or even the full version?

Here

Express is free, other pricing here, but they do offer either Perpetual Licence or Subscription:

https://www.captureone.com/en/store/buy-sony

Edited by Harry Harrison

56 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Have you thought about the Capture One Sony 'Express' option, or even the full version?

Here

Express is free, other pricing here, but they do offer either Perpetual Licence or Subscription:

https://www.captureone.com/en/store/buy-sony

Yes, this looks like a better bet to me. The free Express version seems to have most of the same editing features as the Pro version.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, this looks like a better bet to me. The free Express version seems to have most of the same editing features as the Pro version.

The Pro version has some features that are only worth having if you like to do tethered shooting and like to use a filter that shows plane of focus.  I had the pro version for a while and dropped back to  the Express version.   It will export a perfectly suitable .jpg.  And it doesn't care where I live.  

2 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

The Pro version has some features that are only worth having if you like to do tethered shooting and like to use a filter that shows plane of focus.  I had the pro version for a while and dropped back to  the Express version.   It will export a perfectly suitable .jpg.  And it doesn't care where I live.  

Don't need tethering, so I'm going to give the Express version a try after I buy a new PC in January. It probably wouldn't run very well on my current machine.

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Not available any more regrettably, but I'm fine with it also. No good if you're using a camera that's been launched in 2019 though. I took the advice of this forum and added a third-party dehaze filter which works well when it's needed. Clearly the current CC version of Lightroom also has other improvements.

I was in John Lewis yesterday and they have pre-paid cards for Lightroom/Photoshop at £159.95, register on-line etc. That surprised me as I thought it was only £9.98/month anyway.

Probably a mistake  I would hope so anyway. 

There have been a lot of enhancements and performance improvements since LR6.14. And also bear in mind that it will not install on MacOS Catalina as the installer is 32 bit although the app is 64 bit. 

Many thanks for your comments. I tried Capture One Sony Express but could not find out how to even export images and gave it up. I guess I was impatient and did not  read the instructions. I think I will have another look. Problem is that the Camera Raw/PS development route is 'automatic' for me. No need to learn new tricks. GIMP is complicated and need a new approach. I actually have both installed. I am waiting for LR/PS pricing for 2020 and will make a decision on what to do then. I will not participate in making LR/PS even more of a 'golden goose' for Adobe. I will certainly have another look at the free Capture One.

My sales in numbers are up compared with last year, but value down. No wonder when you can make a licence sales like this one of a perfectly good image this month:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 10 December 2019
End: 10 December 2024
NU Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity

$1.25

A lot of the other sales are below $10 gross.

This appears to be the market now so we have to adjust the cost/benefit courve.

19 hours ago, MDM said:

Probably a mistake  I would hope so anyway. 

A mistake to buy it anyway. Quite odd because they are official branded Adobe 'cards' and they've got them by the cameras and by the computers in quantity, 12 months subscription at £159.95. The cards are out of date though in that they say that you will get Lightroom 6 & Lightroom Mobile plus Adobe Photoshop CC, and all upgrades of course.

Presumably they sell them but as soon as the purchaser goes to the Adobe website to register for what they've paid for they'll see the £9.98/month price. Weird.

5 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

A mistake to buy it anyway. Quite odd because they are official branded Adobe 'cards' and they've got them by the cameras and by the computers in quantity, 12 months subscription at £159.95. The cards are out of date though in that they say that you will get Lightroom 6 & Lightroom Mobile plus Adobe Photoshop CC, and all upgrades of course.

Presumably they sell them but as soon as the purchaser goes to the Adobe website to register for what they've paid for they'll see the £9.98/month price. Weird.

Very odd indeed. Nothing on the JL website. Maybe it is local to your branch. Next time I am in town here I must have a look.