Client warning: Strong language and sexual content?

JaniMarkus Hasa

Question

I was in Rome couple of weeks ago. Instead of old ruins I went to shoot Fridays for Future school strike climate protest. The protesters were mostly school kids and teenagers. About half of the signs and banners were in English and very often contained F-word and other strong language. And so did the signs in Italian - at least according to Google Translate. While most of the Alamy clients recognizes rude words in English, it's a different thing with Italian ones.

What's your opinion? Should some kind of advisory be included in the caption or optional information?

8 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I would just upload and caption and keyword correctly. I don't think you need to treat Alamy customers as delicate flowers. Anyone looking for images of that protest won't be surprised at the rude words.

Maybe. I just have this scenario in my head where some newspaper has an article about the responsible youth of the day illustrated by an image of teenage girls demanding for more oral sex (and less global warming)...

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa

2 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Maybe. I just have this scenario in my head where some newspaper has an article about the responsible youth of the day is illustrated by image of teenage girls demanding for more oral sex (and less global warming)...

I would think that any newspaper picture editor of any worth would lookup the translations of those words.

With today's technology, it takes just 5 minutes... https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=sesso orale

Edited by Matt Ashmore

9 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Maybe. I just have this scenario in my head where some newspaper has an article about the responsible youth of the day illustrated by an image of teenage girls demanding for more oral sex (and less global warming)...

That could be an election winner 😃

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

The 'Optional' tab in AIM contains an 'Additional Information' field which allows you to enter free text. If it gives you peace of mind, you could add the translations from the signs into there with a bit of a description about what is going on.

Edited by Matt Ashmore

6 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

I was in Rome couple of weeks ago. Instead of old ruins I went to shoot Fridays for Future school strike climate protest. The protesters were mostly school kids and teenagers. About half of the signs and banners were in English and very often contained F-word and other strong language. And so did the signs in Italian - at least according to Google Translate. While most of the Alamy clients recognizes rude words in English, it's a different thing with Italian ones.

What's your opinion? Should some kind of advisory be included in the caption or optional information?

Strong language on political protest placards is on the increase. If I believe a photo including a placard displaying language similar to F***k Boris was a strong image in its own right, I upload. I have included in reportage captions similar to 'Protestor holding banner using strong language' or 'extremely critical of xyz' rather than quote the placard. Do they sell, yes, one recently used in a Vice magazine article. 

I have once submitted images of the London world naked bicycle ride. I noticed one photographer's images in the Live News feed had warnings about nudity. I thought this unnecessary as the caption stated prominently 'World Naked Bicycle Ride' which makes it obvious.

• Love 1

20 hours ago, sb photos said:

Strong language on political protest placards is on the increase. If I believe a photo including a placard displaying language similar to F***k Boris was a strong image in its own right, I upload. I have included in reportage captions similar to 'Protestor holding banner using strong language' or 'extremely critical of xyz' rather than quote the placard. Do they sell, yes, one recently used in a Vice magazine article. 

I have once submitted images of the London world naked bicycle ride. I noticed one photographer's images in the Live News feed had warnings about nudity. I thought this unnecessary as the caption stated prominently 'World Naked Bicycle Ride' which makes it obvious.

Maybe check AoA for those swear words or nudity; nude and naked as a keyword.

Hmmm maybe do it myself.

Not many searches for nudity in the rolling year: 19.

Including this one:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/lavender fields france provence?excludenudity

But 7 pages (@100) for nude and 7 for naked as well.

No results for strong language and only 1 search for swear words. A couple for swear or swearing (as in using swear words). Interesting.

wim

Edited by wiskerke
link removed for the third time.
  • Love 1